Longest Hike to a Cache?

I'm not sure if it was my longest, but my hike up to Just Your Standard Fishing Cache a couple of weeks ago was one of my more challenging outings due to snow covering over half the mountainous route. I ended up doing 9.1 miles on that one.

My hike up to Hidden Basin Geocache last October was a pretty good one as we continued on up past the cache to the summit of Vesper Peak. That involved about a 7-mile roundtrip and 3800 feet of elevation gain.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Well, we were going to do this hike anyway, but we did a 9 mile or so R/T, 3000 foot elevation gain hike to the top of Dog Mountain in the South Cascades.

I left a travel bug there (I also picked one up), since I figured the trail was so popular it'd be crawling with geocachers. A couple weeks later and I'm still the only finder. icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Bull Moose:

Well, we were going to do this hike anyway, but we did a 9 mile or so R/T, 3000 foot elevation gain hike to the top of http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=69707 in the South Cascades.

I left a travel bug there (I also picked one up), since I figured the trail was so popular it'd be crawling with geocachers. A couple weeks later and I'm still the only finder. icon_confused.gif

Bull Moose we should hook up. East of North Bend we did a 5000' climb... with mountain bikes. Had to push the bikes th last 2000 feet. Got to one cache but not another nearby one. Some really incredible hikes in the Snoqualmie Middle Fork.

The longest so far is about 8 miles but a few weeks ago I went to a cache site that was about 5 miles but the hardest part was a 3300 feet elevation gain in 1.2 miles. Talk about steep. I have done 15 miles hikes easier than that.

1457856_400.gif

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=26147

I finally got up to the top and there was a lot of snow where the cache was located. I started digging for it but the snow was just too deep. I plan on going up again in a few weeks.

quote:
Originally posted by Bull Moose:

Well, we were going to do this hike anyway, but we did a 9 mile or so R/T, 3000 foot elevation gain hike to the top of http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=69707 in the South Cascades.

And as soon as I post that, someone logs a find there. Good, I'm glad the little TB is on it's way.

We did a cache back in August that was 13 miles round trip and an elevation gain of 2000+. To top if off, the last .5 miles is on what used to be a trail but is now just overgrown thorn bushes. It's been out there for nearly 10 months and we are still the only finders. icon_biggrin.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Our longest trip is 8 miles one way on Arrgg! Refugee Cove. This was located in Nova Scotia, along the Bay of Fundy, where you can witness the world’s highest tides. Cache and trailhead are both located just a few feet above sea level. On the trip in we had to ascend to about 800 feet three times, and return to sea level. We did this as a one night backpack.

Please note this is in a GEOCACHE FRIENDLY PARK. The main bulletin board had the cache info on it.

quote:
Originally posted by njski:

Ce'Nedra,

Wow icon_eek.gif What an adventure you had up on Eagles Nest!

I guess the terrain was a little more challenging than the Cape Helopen caches we did a few months ago. icon_smile.gif

Take it easy out there...Ski...

LOL!! Yes, it was just a little more challenging than caches at sea level!

You don't have to go where I was when I had my little accident in order to find the cache...I decided to check out the view by scrambling onto some rocks and fell through a hole, and I fell cause it was my first time exploring boulders like that and I didn't know to *check* and make sure that where you are stepping is actually ground or another rock and not just a leaf pile! LOL! I had quite the learning experience that day! LOL!

Regardless, its still one of my favorite caches, and I hope to find more of Waterboy with Wife's caches!

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

My longest hike so far just for a cache was slightly over 16 miles, around 3500 feet of elevation gain. Big Ben

My longest hike for a benchmark was only about 13 miles, but a little over 4500 feet of climbing, and of course decending. My track log from this one is one of the examples on my webpage.

The snows starting to melt off in the high country now to where finding upper elevation caches will soon be a possibility, so who knows what this year will bring......