What do you do? IT geek or not?

briansnat

quote:
Originally posted by Olar:

I'm convinced that had I been born 20 years later I would have strayed towards an IT career of some sort. Back in 1975 I bought a 64 and immediately taught myself Commodore basic and had a ball with it writing little programs. I should dig it out someday and see if I can remember how to boot it up.

Cheers and a tip of the hat to all IT people that make it all work.

64 didn't exist in 1975. Perhaps a PET? I had a PET-2001, and I think the date stamped inside was 1978, but it's been a long time. I got a VIC-20 in 1982, a few months after it was introduced, and when the C-64 came out a little while later, I was very envious.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

Yes, but without SuperGenius there would be no cacher Pepper! icon_biggrin.gif

Pepper of Team SuperGenius

Horizontals where it's at!

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on October 18, 2002 at 05:16 PM.]

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on October 18, 2002 at 05:17 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by azog:

64 didn't exist in 1975. Perhaps a PET? I had a PET-2001, and I think the date stamped inside was 1978, but it's been a long time. I got a VIC-20 in 1982, a few months after it was introduced, and when the C-64 came out a little while later, I was very envious.

Let's see. I remeber the C-64, the Vic-20, before that the TRS-80. Somewhere in there the Timex Sinclair, the various CoCo's. Hmmmm. Jr. High was a wonderous time. Then the Apple IIc, and IIe, and then after that I got into skateboarding. The end.

george

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:

You are right azog and I stand corrected. Even my wife reminded me that I bought the 64 after moving to Toronto area in 1980. Shortly after I bought the 1541 floppy drive. Man I thought I had gone supersonic as compared to the tape drive that came with the 64.

Olar

wavey.gif

I'm not in IT (what is IT anyway, jk, I know) I am a used house salesperson. But the old gals in my office think I'm IT. Always asking for help on the computer. I've only had this computer for two years. I worked in the restaurant business for twenty+ years, mostly as a side job to supplement my income. And I used to work at National Semiconductor making IC's, CMOS, TTL and transistors. Worked in production, quality assurance, and engineering as a technician (no schooling - go figure, all on the job training).

My cousin, who IS a geek, all his life, got me into geocaching. You should see the set up in his car! Surprised there's even room for the family. But he now finds geocaching to "straight forward" and took to caching at night using only the backlight of his GPSr for light. And he won't drive far to do them. I feel a little left out not being IT. But being a used house salesperson sure lets you make your own hours. No time clock for me! icon_biggrin.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

Though I'm not currently employed, IT seems the best fit for me.

Although I've only been geocaching for a couple months now, I spent about 4 years working on the ground system software for the GPS system (I know that puts the word 'system' in there twice, but it sounds better that way icon_wink.gif), and just might find myself back there if I don't watch out...

I actually flunked computer programming in high school, many moons ago. Give me an acute MI, a multi-system trauma, or your more common minor PI and I'm on it. Give me a general error message and I'm scratching my head. I'm one of those that still can't seem to upload pictures to this site. I learned of geocaching through highpointing and am addicted just the same.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

I'm just my companys computer guy. Bought my first Apple IIe in 83 at an auction and have owned everything from Atari to Televideo. Can you say CPM? I even had a VAX/VMS that we rescued from a dumpster. It eventually found its way to another dumpster. My first modem was 300 baud and my first post to a BBS was in all caps so I guess you could call me a geek. Nowadays I'm a designer for a custom home builder. I taught myself how to draw CAD and they taught me what to draw.

When GPSr's are outlawed, only Outlaws will have GPSr's.