What do you do? IT geek or not?

briansnat

I noticed from looking at Geocacher profiles, that the majority of us seem to work in the IT (Information Technology) field. I see numerous programmers, web developers, systems analysts, network engineers, database admins, etc...

I wonder what it is about Geocaching that seems to attract IT geeks and I was also wondering what the percentage is of Geocachers who work in IT.

So, here is a poll...

Yes I'm a geek.....errrrr I mean I work in the IT field. What brought me here was the fact that I was looking at the different GPSr manufacturers websites to see what the latest and greatest units they had out and I kept coming across the term Geocaching so I decided to investigate. I have owned a GPSr GM100 for 4 years and wanted something new. I always have been into technology and gadgets and when I saw a way to incorporate those items along with my love for the Internet and the ability to get out doors with my wife I figured that it would be a great fit. So here I am in all my geekyness coming out of the closet so to speak. Wow, I feel so much better now. icon_biggrin.gif

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I wonder what it is about Geocaching that seems to attract IT geeks and I was also wondering what the percentage is of Geocachers who work in IT.

I do not work in IT. I have 20 years of electronics (and other specialties) in the military, and now 8 years of experience in industrial electronics doing pollution monitoring and controls in a power plant. A small part of my job IS maintaining a LAN/WAN for the pollution system, but I wouldn't consider it IT.

A better question might be "What got you started in Geocaching." For me, it was a combination. One of my hobbies (after competitive shooting) is HAM RADIO, where the GPS started as a gift. The map and nav skills started in the Army. Found the Geoceching site while studying up to train land nav to ROTC cadets. Another hobby is hiking. I do way more hiking than Geocaching, but it is all fun.

But I am not IT. And looking at the results so far, I am the only one. It is lonely... hope somebody joins me! icon_biggrin.gif

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

My husband claims that I am a geek. I wish I was more of one. I've been a computer end user for 30 years but never worked the backside. Wish I had...guess its never to late??? I love cars, technology and electronics. I love the outdoors, been a scout leader for too long and the GPS gives me one more excuse to be outside. With my toys

ikayak

KD7BED icon_cool.gif

Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.

quote:
Originally posted by KD9KC:

But I am not IT. And looking at the results so far, I am the only one. It is lonely... hope somebody joins me! icon_biggrin.gif

You're not the only one KD9KC! I'm in pharmacy school right now, so I'm definitely not IT. I do a lot with computers in terms of looking up info and getting stuff for class, but about the closest I get to IT is e-mailing professors to point out mistakes they've made on the course websites they've put up. icon_biggrin.gif

My love of electronic gadgets and such (computers, video games, PDAs, cell phones, and so on, and so on) is one of the main reasons I started caching. I'd been waiting for an excuse to justify buying a GPSr, and when a friend took me caching, I immediately had one. Now I spend my weekday freetime in front of my computer planning caching trips, and my weekends in the woods with GPSr in hand.

I'm an IT geek. Right now I am a netadmin, and my previous jobs were sysadmin.

I purchased an GPS unit in 1996 when I first read about them. I think it was a GPS12? I didn't have any use for it at the time, but it was totally cool. I gave it away. I wonder how useful it would have been now?

I have no idea why I am attracted to geocaching. I'm totally unathletic. In fact, I failed gym class in high school several times. Imagine attending summer school for gym? I think it has something to do with having a purpose while hiking. I've tried to randomly hike in the past, but just ended up wandering around and bored.

One thing that's nice is that I can do birding while caching. Some of my logs probably indicate that I'm a birder. I had a friend who helped introduce me to birding a little over a year ago, but he hasn't called me in some time icon_frown.gif

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

Okay, so I've always been a bit of a technojunkie (hence the psuedonym)!

I've been taking stuff apart since before I can remember and managed to study electronics (EE) thru college and computers have always kind of just been there as useful tools.

Heck, the first one I remember acutally getting to use was an old Northstar CPM boxes back in the late 70s...

But with the tech explosion in the 80s, I kind of moved from the component level design aspects to the system integration and planning/implementation fields.

So, do I consider myself an IT geek? No, I don't think it's that narrow for me! icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

Good question!

Tim

KB5OGH

=================

I just need a fix!

but, I am still a geek. I think it is of note that one of the other subcultures that I consider myself a part of is deadheads. When you get past the stereotypical dreadlocked potsmoking sparechanger image that comes to mind, what I found was a high percentage of IT people were deadheads. It attracted a very computer oriented crowd. When I worked in San Francisco for Mindscape software, the place would shut down when Jerry came to town. All the game producers and developers would pull off their suits to reveal a tie-dye shirt and drive in their nice cars to see the boys play. Another similarity is the stats. Every show that was played by the Grateful Dead was taped and logged and the stats of the songs were recorded in a big database that us geeks could pore through looking for the patterns and 'top songs played' by venue/year etc.

A good analogy was drawn between baseball and the Grateful Dead, which I think fits very well with geocaching. Everybody enjoys baseball in their own way. Some people think it is a great way to spend the day outside with the family. They are not so much interested in the score, or know the names of the players, but find that the hot dogs are great. Some people love to keep track of every hit run and error. Some people love the current players and have the t-shirts, some people are history buffs and know the originators of the game. Whatever you get out of it, it is something that can bring together people from all walks of life.

Main Entry: geek

Pronunciation: 'gEk

Function: noun

Etymology: probably from English dialect geek, geck fool, from Low German geck, from Middle Low German

Date: 1914

1 : a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake

2 : a person often of an intellectual bent who is disapproved of

- geeky /'gE-kE/ adjective

stealyourcache.gif And for the support of this Declaration, with firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor.

[This message was edited by Dru Morgan on October 15, 2002 at 09:57 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

My theory is the majority of folks posting in the forums are IT professionals, but the majority of players are not. IT folks just have more access to the forums daily.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Lateral thinking...excellent!

I do think that the game is a natural for IT types, though...get away from your desk while still using leading edge technology....

ApK

However, most of the people I meet geocaching are not. I would agree with Jeremy. The population demographics here does not match the total community of geocachers. None of the people I work with have any interest in the hobby.

Besides, my dog loves geocaching and she isn't in IT icon_wink.gif

Unix sysadmin, primarily Solaris. For the last few years I've been building and maintaining Linux servers to run various open source apps. I also run a Linux users group.

What initially attracted me to geocaching was the gadget factor; it's pretty amazing that we have such tiny devices that can tell use where we are on the globe with such accuracy. I mean, even though I know the principles involved, at times it still feels a little like it all runs on magic.

Once I went out and found my first few caches, I began to remember the fun I had on hiking trips when I was younger.

Anywhere is "walking distance" if you have the time.

quote:

My theory is the majority of folks posting in the forums are IT professionals, but the majority of players are not. IT folks just have more access to the forums daily.

Jeremy Irish

I'm a knuckle dragging Prison Officer. I take over where society fails.hanged.gif

Although I have been building computers for years. I have three at home. I have built some of me friends computers. So I guess I am a geek.

Saw GeoCaching on Tech TV back in January. The rest is history.

Preparation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpggeol1.jpg

Mokita!

Not an IT, but...

Started with electronics in the Navy and bought my first Commodore 64 when they were still over $400. Have built and maintained several LANs. Me and the wife have four computers in the house on a LAN. (She says it's too many! Nah...) Friends and family come to me for assistance.

But, in all, it was Sissy that got us into this sport to get me away from the computer. icon_wink.gif

CR

quote:
Originally posted by Dru Morgan:

When I worked in San Francisco for Mindscape software, the place would shut down when Jerry came to town. All the game producers and developers would pull off their suits to reveal a tie-dye shirt and drive in their nice cars to see the boys play.

Those were the days, to be sure. Of course, I was never one to wear a suit in the first place. Even when I was working out at Kennedy Space Center I wore tie-dyes to work. I did get a few strange looks from all the NASA managers when I would show up at a meeting and they were all in power suits. ;-) I was a rebel without a clue, to be sure...

--Marky

As an electronics engineer I've done embedded (assembly and C) and Windows programming (mostly VB - does that count? icon_confused.gif ), but nothing I would consider "IT". Been in ham radio since I was a teenager (73 KD9KC de N1KV), and I'm the family PC help desk. Combine all this "geekness" with a love of hiking and camping and what do you get? Hopelessly addicted to geocaching.

quote:
Originally posted by DougsBrat:

IT? we called it DP when I started icon_wink.gif

Well yes, but then you also provided input on punch cards, had huge removable platters (like giant pancakes in a great big cake carrier) in your disk drives, and loaded printer controls onto impact printers via paper tapes! Oh, wait, I'm showing my age....

DON'T TOUCH THAT INTERRUPT BUTTON!!!

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

IT no way! I don't make enough money.

I'm a lowly die maker (high speed progressive dies) I build the dies that make electronic components mostly. I've found lead frames that I've worked on or similar types in just about anything electronic. computers, phones, pagers, garage door openers, and one of these days I'll probably tear apart my GPSr and find somethign in there I've made a die for.

icon_razz.gif

Eeyore

My other cachemobile is a broom!

First computer: Franklin Ace 1000.

First Modem: 1984 (300 baud)

First access to Internet: 1990

Geek is probably strong, but I do have a strong interest in computing.

My servers, past and present:

karma, sutra, gypsy, signal, fatman, littleboy, beauty, beast (huge hard drive), lackey, and otto (linux jukebox). Lapper is my laptop.

Jeremy Irish

I was always an IBM Mainframe guy. I also started when it was called DP and the first machine I worked on was an IBM 370. I also remember punch cards...still have a stack laying around somewhere. For years people around me were buying PCs, but I couldn't see what the point was. After all, ya work on them all day and go home and work on another one?

Finally got a 386 from work so I could dial in from home, threw something fairly new called AOL on it and discovered the Internet. I guess that was around 1990, or 91. Geocaching wasn't even a twinkle in my eye back then.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

quote:

First Modem: 1984 (300 baud)

Gods I feel OLD now....

Someplace in my basement, i still have my old ASR-33 TTY with the punch paper tape. It contains what they then at the time called: A Call Control Unit. This was the 2 foot by 1 foot by 6 inch heavy gauge metal box that was the 110 baud modem.

Spookyer still was the last time I plugged it in it still worked. (kinda) icon_smile.gif

Dont get me started on "the old days" or ill tell you about highschool and the old mainframe they had that stopped working one day because the fanbelt broke...

True!

66427_2400.gif

not IT. registered nurse in critical care. lifelong love of the outdoors. bought gpsr in 97 in preparation for canoe trip in everglades national park. geocaching gave me even more excuses to get out and about (though my wife would say i already have more than enough).

harry

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I also remember punch cards...still have a stack laying around somewhere.

Our office Christmas tree has a an oragami-like star made from old punch cards. We still have some old round reel tapes lying around too.

"We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the Borg."

My paycheck depends on the weather. It's just really hard to build houses in the rain, snow, and the wind. I have to admit though, I have shut down the whole framing crew because the weather was so bad. Then went out and found a couple of caches. LOL

I have been in construction since high school. So thats all I know how to do is build. The only reason I am on the computer now is because my wife introduced me to geocaching I still have alot to learn about computers and need my wifes help often. I do, however, know how to look up caches and log finds.

I also know how to use the forums and gain alot of useful information. I learn something new here at the forums everyday.

icon_smile.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

quote:
Originally posted by T-storm:

quote:
Originally posted by DougsBrat:

IT? we called it DP when I started icon_wink.gif

Well yes, but then you also provided input on punch cards, had huge removable platters (like giant pancakes in a great big cake carrier) in your disk drives, and loaded printer controls onto impact printers via paper tapes! Oh, wait, I'm showing my age....

DON'T TOUCH THAT INTERRUPT BUTTON!!!

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Ahhh the good ol days icon_smile.gif ours had a IPL button just as effective (for you kids.. its like [ctl][alt][del])

how4.gif No matter where you go... There you are!

NTGA member

quote:
Originally posted by Marty Fouts:

I don't get it. what is it. should i have it? if I had it what would i do with it?

Marty (designing the computers used by extreme geeks since 1975)

Marty Fouts

ae6ip

YOU JUST DON'T GET IT !!!

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Yeah i'll admit it, i'm a computer geek. But I don't work in IT....no job security in that field anymore.

REAL geocachers are in education. That way we can have ALL SUMMER off to go caching. When I am not caching during the 3 PAID MONTHS I have off, I am calliing all my friends at work and teasing them.

BTW

My fav toy as a kid was my Commadore 64. So much so, that I still have a Commadore 64 emmulator on my pc.

Before that it was a Commadore VIC 20. That's the old days when you spent 10 hours typing in basic to write a simple game, and then you couldn't turn the computer off because there was no hard drive or floppy drive to save it. My mom always pissed me off when she unplugged it to vacum.

KURTULEAS

I'm convinced that had I been born 20 years later I would have strayed towards an IT career of some sort. Back in 1975 I bought a 64 and immediately taught myself Commodore basic and had a ball with it writing little programs. I should dig it out someday and see if I can remember how to boot it up.

Cheers and a tip of the hat to all IT people that make it all work.

Olar

wavey.gif

I am a medical transcriptionist and full-time student, preparing to enter the Physician Assistant program. I am often called a geek, nerd, dweeb, etc., though!

Jaimee

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

I am finding out that some techie backgound would sometimes be helpfull. Full time housewife, which is good for my addiction because I have lots of free time. I now fill my days with caching instead of sitting in front of the TV watching soaps. Life is Grand!

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!