Local Appreciation

I was thinking on the way home tonight that we need to give an acknowlegement to our local Geocachers that have nurtured and brought this sport/game to where it is today. The person in your local are that has done the most to promote and make it what it is today. I know Jeremy makes it all possible....but I'm speaking on the local level.

Here in the Greensboro NC area we have Hawk-eye that has kept this thing alive and helped it grow. It's not only the caches he places but how he takes newbies under his wing and gets them going. He is our local hero! Who is yours?

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

Around are area in Southern Oregon I understand Hillywilly (geo-court) got things rolling. But when I started the main guy was Quad. He has helped a lot of people get going including me. He spent forever looking for my first cache and then politely sent me the correct coordinates.

Not attacking newbies is most likely a good thing.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

These two are awesome, almost 600 finds between them, and I know both have promoted the sport above and beyond the call of duty. Barondriver flys out to western Kansas several times a month and has caused a cache explosion out by Liberal, he will go place one in an area that has never had a cache before and then plant an idea or two by talking with the locals...and before you know it there are several new cachers and plenty of new caches to hunt!

If you wanna be first to log a new cache around Wichita or within 200 miles, you had better be quick!! icon_biggrin.gif

C-Troop

These two are awesome, almost 600 finds between them, and I know both have promoted the sport above and beyond the call of duty. Barondriver flys out to western Kansas several times a month and has caused a cache explosion out by Liberal, he will go place one in an area that has never had a cache before and then plant an idea or two by talking with the locals...and before you know it there are several new cachers and plenty of new caches to hunt!

If you wanna be first to log a new cache around Wichita or within 200 miles, you had better be quick!! icon_biggrin.gif

C-Troop

We have a couple different categories in the Chicago area:

Bryan was a great hider in our direct area from an early point. He also helped me coordinate last year's picnic. He hasn't been as active lately, but he promises he'll get back into it soon.

RobAmy was the hider of cache #40 (Beverly), and while he may not be really high on the numbers, he's still involved. Beverly is one of those REALLY good historic caches.

Finally Bspeng has I think the most hides in this area - and his locations are just awesome. He finds the quirkiest little places to place some really great caches. Very cool stuff.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

Although I'm not located in his local area, Moun10Bike's geocaching activities in the Pacific Northwest are far reaching - particularly his geocoins. I was able to retrieve one in Iowa and place it in my first (and so far only) cache in Nebraska. I sent him a couple of newbie-type emails a few months ago and he always replied promptly, politely and thoroughly. Yup - Moun10Bike first comes to what little bit is left of my mind... icon_wink.gif

I also nominate YOU!! - all who participate in these forums by asking questions, and all those who so willingly contribute their expertise and knowledge to help others. I think the caliber of information exchange and efforts to keep the bar high repeatedly demonstrate the class and dedication of those in our sport/hobby. The forums are on a global level, but the roots clearly extend to local levels also.

Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

Although I'm not located in his local area, Moun10Bike's geocaching activities in the Pacific Northwest are far reaching - particularly his geocoins. I was able to retrieve one in Iowa and place it in my first (and so far only) cache in Nebraska. I sent him a couple of newbie-type emails a few months ago and he always replied promptly, politely and thoroughly. Yup - Moun10Bike first comes to what little bit is left of my mind... icon_wink.gif

I also nominate YOU!! - all who participate in these forums by asking questions, and all those who so willingly contribute their expertise and knowledge to help others. I think the caliber of information exchange and efforts to keep the bar high repeatedly demonstrate the class and dedication of those in our sport/hobby. The forums are on a global level, but the roots clearly extend to local levels also.

Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

Here in the Greensboro NC area we have Hawk-eye that has kept this thing alive and helped it grow.

Just wanted you to know that appreciation of Hawk-Eye extends beyond Greensboro. I, too, appreciate all that Hawk-Eye has done. Much of it is behind the scenes and doesn't get much publicity, but from personal experience I can tell you that he is always helpful and friendly to me. When it comes to GeoCaching in general he is very unselfish. Thanks, Hawk-Eye.

Every person who places a cache (no matter how lame) is responsible for the great success of geocaching's growth). Also, Jeremy has developed a great tool for organizing the data. I believe that there's a certain critical mass (as measured in density of cache placement) that is required for this game to catch on in any given area. It's just not worth making this a hobby if there are only five caches within a hundred miles of your house. In northen Virginia, I can expect new caches within 15 miles of my house just about every weekend. Without that growth, the fun would quickly turn into long drives and reduced enthuiasm.

My introduction to geocaching was by the now famous Triffid while I was mtn biking near Hawk 4 (Greensboro, NC) after he had just come out from finding it (missed first finding it minutes behind El Diablo and his Princess of Darkness). Since we are both from Lynchburg, VA, Hawk 4 is quite a long way from home to run into each other.

Triffid has inspired, taught, and given moral support to me. But if it hadn't been for Hawk-Eye, I would have not have met Triffid and learned of geocaching until 6 months later.

My heartfelt appreciation goes to Triffid AND Hawk-Eye for promoting the sport/hobby in all the ways they have influenced both me and those in the NC/VA Geo-Hog Association's vicinity. I may yet qualify for membership.

Until then... happy caching.

huggy_d1

Geo-hog wannabe

Around here we have 2 "centurions" in Waterboy With Wife and Rich from NEPA. If you are not the first finder, it is almost worth it to wait it out until they hit hit it for outstanding logs, pictures, hikes and of course cache treasure! Can't go without mentioning the legends of CCCooper Agency. With 1023 finds, they are in a league all their own.

quote:
Originally posted by glynnfam:

We've got lots of great cachers, but Ron Streeter comes to mind first and foremost. He's hidden upwards of 100 quality caches and has visited everyone else's.

Ron has hidden a lot of great caches but he hasn't hit 100 yet. I think you're crossing Just a Short Walk with Ron. Both old school cachers from way back (not that you can go way back but you know what I mean). JASW has over 100 Ron has hidden 73. Probablly more, he doesn't log them right away. He's getting there.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

In NJ there is the Artful Dodger who has hidden quite a few quality caches (and his knowledge of HTML makes for visually interesting cache pages). Stayfloopy is our area's king of cache finders. He's probably nearing the thousand mark by now, and he's one guy, not a team of cachers like the bunch who has already broken the thousand find mark. BassoonPilot is also a major player. He probably leads the nation in "first finds". I know he is usually the first to find any of my caches.

I join Team BLT in acknowledging Rich in NEPA as a true inspiration to all cachers in this area (and probably other areas, too)... He's always been friendly and helpful, and his patience, creativity, intelligence and sense of humor are something we should all take a lesson from. Plus, he always stocks the cache containers with such nice handmade treasures!

Thanks, R. icon_wink.gif

~Zh!~

I join Team BLT in acknowledging Rich in NEPA as a true inspiration to all cachers in this area (and probably other areas, too)... He's always been friendly and helpful, and his patience, creativity, intelligence and sense of humor are something we should all take a lesson from. Plus, he always stocks the cache containers with such nice handmade treasures!

Thanks, R. icon_wink.gif

~Zh!~

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Stayfloopy is our area's king of cache finders. He's probably nearing the thousand mark by now, and he's one guy, not a team of cachers like the bunch who has already broken the thousand find mark.

Actually, Team Floopy will often be a group of three for the next few months. Also a cacher from the west coast may be visiting. After that, it'll back to that solo mad dash across the land. icon_smile.gif

Mention needs to be made of the cachers who got the ball rolling in the NYC tri-state area back when I started. Some of the best cache placers at the time were Lucien and cache ninja, (umm... I mean <^<43 ~|~>@ icon_smile.gif ) and I still consider some of their caches as my favorites. More recently, BrianSnat, Artful Dodger and tneigel have been placing a lot of good caches. Keep up the great work, guys!

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Stayfloopy is our area's king of cache finders. He's probably nearing the thousand mark by now, and he's one guy, not a team of cachers like the bunch who has already broken the thousand find mark.

Actually, Team Floopy will often be a group of three for the next few months. Also a cacher from the west coast may be visiting. After that, it'll back to that solo mad dash across the land. icon_smile.gif

Mention needs to be made of the cachers who got the ball rolling in the NYC tri-state area back when I started. Some of the best cache placers at the time were Lucien and cache ninja, (umm... I mean <^<43 ~|~>@ icon_smile.gif ) and I still consider some of their caches as my favorites. More recently, BrianSnat, Artful Dodger and tneigel have been placing a lot of good caches. Keep up the great work, guys!

I just wanted to add to El Diablo's comments about Hawk-Eye! If not for his endless e-mails of help, I would have given this thing up a while back! He even went out of his way to send me his own software mapping program to keep. No questions asked! Very kind man! Can't wait to meet you and your family this weekend! Thank you for all of your time, patients, knowledge and generousity! Most appreciated. You have made an addict out of me! : icon_wink.gif

MissAngele

I just wanted to add to El Diablo's comments about Hawk-Eye! If not for his endless e-mails of help, I would have given this thing up a while back! He even went out of his way to send me his own software mapping program to keep. No questions asked! Very kind man! Can't wait to meet you and your family this weekend! Thank you for all of your time, patients, knowledge and generousity! Most appreciated. You have made an addict out of me! : icon_wink.gif

MissAngele

Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Originally Ron has hidden a lot of great caches but he hasn't hit 100 yet. I think you're crossing Just a Short Walk with Ron. Both old school cachers from way back (not that you can go way back but you know what I mean). JASW has over 100 Ron has hidden 73. Probablly more, he doesn't log them right away. He's getting there.

george

Thanks for the credit.

I say...

Santa Cruz area is Iron Chef...

Centeral Valley is Ron Streeter..

Monterey is Me! 120 planted 115 posted (The others are set for a LARGE Area Multi Cache to be posted soon!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"Just a Short walk" Says....

If You plant a cache they will come.....