Geocaching cards.

Guest Ramness570

Guest Ramness570

A popular trend around here is to leave a card in the log book of caches you have found. Several of us leave homemade cards, one leaves sticky Polaroids while others leave stickers. What do you leave behind?

Here is mine

icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Team Ramness570 Brian, Christine & TabascoX

Senior Member Southeast Xterra Club

Geocaching since October 2000.

Guest Rich in NEPA

That's really nice. Looks very well done. And I think it's a great idea.

Cheers ...

------------------

~Rich in NEPA~

====================================================================

? A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ?

Guest Ramness570

Looks better on the actual cards. I made it in BMP format so when I converted it to JPG it messed up a little.

------------------

Guest Hawk-eye

I created something similiar ... it has a cut out with the Hawk-eye label visible behind the sun burst cutout ... kind of 3D effect ... with a spot for date/time and to sign ... it's printed on two sizes and on glossy adhesive backed stock.

348_1002.gif

Guest BassoonPilot

Someone out these parts has made address label-size stickers they attach to the inside of the cache container, sort of like 'Kilroy was here.' Okay, but if too many folk did that, the cache would be a mess in no time. I'm not interested in the cards . . . I don't clothespin things to the wheels of my bike anymore, and I doubt any of the cards will become collectibles. (Hey! I'll trade you 2 CCCooper Agency keyrings and a Geoferret pin for that Jeremy Irish 'Rookie' card!) icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

(Hey! I'll trade you 2 CCCooper Agency keyrings and a Geoferret pin for that Jeremy Irish 'Rookie' card!) icon_wink.gif

Hey BP, I'll trade ya 5 CCCooper keyrings and a Stayfloopy WheresGeorge (both easy enough to come by since I've can find both in any cache in NJ icon_biggrin.gif ) for that cool Geoferret pin!

Guest BassoonPilot

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Hey BP, I'll trade ya 5 CCCooper keyrings and a Stayfloopy WheresGeorge (both easy enough to come by since I've can find both in any cache in NJ icon_biggrin.gif ) for that cool Geoferret pin!

No deal! For THAT, all I'd trade you is the 2001 Kwong Hui for NYC Council pin I got from the "Claudius was here + Lonely Blu" cache.

(What color CCCoopers do you have? I have a green and an orange.)

PS . . . you might want to go to Wheresgeorge.com and check Floopy's profile. Under his stats for city/state, look what town has hit more Floopies than any other . . . gee, I wonder who lives there?

[This message has been edited by BassoonPilot (edited 20 February 2002).]

Guest spector375

I am new to this sport and I like the idea of the "trading cards" or signature items. I am going out this weekend to place my first few caches and i plan on including some laminated cards in each. They will use these designs. They are modified versions of some i saw in another forum. What do ya think?

geostuff.gif

Guest infosponge

I made a dozen of these to leave in caches. They're ceramic tiles with a magnetic back, 2 inches square.

I'm working on the next series...I'm going to make each batch different so they're (sort-of) collectible.

geomag1.jpg

Guest TheBeans

We have cards for the ones we've hidden and for the only Traveler Bug that we've launched thus far. Click on our website link below (Bean Acres) and then click on the Geocaching button. Once there, you can click on the two caches we've hidden and you'll see thumbnail photos of the cards. Likewise, you can click on the camera icon to take you to the Traveler's Rest Stop page and see the card for our Mini Pod.

We're still trying to come up with a standardized signature item to leave...lots of great idea out here!

Enjoy!

------------------

Not all who wander are lost!

Take me to BeanAcres

Guest Team Crikey

For our two caches, we started out with wallet sized photo trading cards with a picture, but have evolved to post cards. I like post cards because they can be mailed or kept as a momento of a visit. I have not seen other post cards in local caches (Colorado), but would love to see more folks do it (or even send me one). I print on Avery post card paper (4 per sheet) on both sides.

A sample front looks like this:

cragscardfront.jpg

The back uses gray lettering so that you can write over it if you don't wish to use it to log info about your visit to the cache:

cragscardback.jpg

Ileave a calling card in the log books, printed on Avery business cards, and made a bumper sticker as well. This all takes a bit of time, but once you have a template it goes pretty fast.

------------------

Team Crikey

Guest Rich in NEPA

quote:
Originally posted by Team Crikey:

... but have evolved to post cards. I like post cards because they can be mailed or kept as a momento of a visit.

I just want to say, TC, that is an excellent concept, and you have executed it very well. Great photos, too.

I'm working on some other designs, but so far I have been leaving handmade magnetic "logo" buttons such as these:

logo_button.jpg

My next "signature trade piece" project is going to be vinyl logo decals for vehicles. I've done up a couple already, but the caches I've recently visited are too small to place them in.

subie_logo1.jpg

Keep those great ideas coming! Cheers ...

------------------

~Rich in NEPA~

? A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ?

Guest Team Crikey

quote:
Originally posted by Rich in NEPA:

I'm working on some other designs, but so far I have been leaving handmade magnetic "logo" buttons such as these:

Wow! And my spouse thought I spent a lot of time working on this kind of stuff! Thanks for getting me out of the dog house! You have done an excellent job on these. I would love to stumble on one of these in a cache (or can I trade you some postcards?)

I haven't used the forums much in the past. What's the scoop on use of the geocaching.com/Groundspeak logo? I've shyed away from it, preferring to use my own designs (not that they're that great) just to avoid conflicts or lawsuits.

If anyone would like to trade some of these things, please hit my web page and let me know. I would love to get them through caches, but there's not a great way to find out where they are. I've started leaving post cards in other caches as ticklers to visit some of my caches, but there's only one other local cacher who even has a card he leaves in logs.

Not to ramble on too much, but I'm going to be moving one of my caches due to environmental impact. Its only a move of 100 yards, but I don't know if anyone will go off an old post card and try to find the cache at the old location. I need some sort of marker at the old spot to point them to the new spot I guess.

Lastly, here is the card I leave in each cache log. I use double-sided tape, but need to find something with a peel-off backing. Ideas? Thanks.

crikeycard.jpg

------------------

Team Crikey

Guest Rich in NEPA

quote:
Originally posted by Team Crikey:

What's the scoop on use of the geocaching.com/Groundspeak logo?

I requested the original vector image from Jeremy, who owns the copyright. His only stipulation was that it be used for personal use only, and not commercially.

quote:
If anyone would like to trade some of these things, please hit my web page and let me know. I would love to get them through caches, but there's not a great way to find out where they are.

I'd like to, TC, but so far the problem is that this gets to be even more time- and effort-consuming than I can afford. I've been trying to spread the Geocaching.com logo buttons around on a limited basis. On top of this I've designed "Finder's" buttons for only two of my caches so far and would like to complete the series before the warm weather hits. Here's a sample:

csl_button.jpg

quote:
... I need some sort of marker at the old spot to point them to the new spot ...

Perhaps you can leave a small weather-proof sign with directions to the new location. I had to relocate a cache that was plundered but I wanted to continue using the original hiding spot, so I turned it into an offset hunt. There is now a (hidden) sign there with encrypted directions to the new spot. It has worked well enough that I modified another nearby cache in a similar manner.

------------------

~Rich in NEPA~

Guest Misguided One

Rich in NEPA,

I assume you mean "personal use", as in making signature items and the other things that you've made.

BTW I love the buton with the Squirrel on it. icon_smile.gif

Also, how does one contact Jeremy?

------------------

Lost? I'm not lost, it's just creative navigation,..........yeah, that's it. Mg1

[This message has been edited by Misguided One (edited 02 March 2002).]

Guest Rich in NEPA

quote:
Originally posted by Misguided One:

...how does one contact Jeremy?

MGO, thanks for the compliment!

E-mail Jeremy here: jeremy@Groundspeak.com

~Rich in NEPA~

[This message has been edited by Rich in NEPA (edited 03 March 2002).]

quote:
Originally posted by MattandLaura:

here's one I have been working on

M&L, very creative. I like it very much. Is it like a postcard or a buisness card?

~Rich in NEPA~

Guest TheBeans

Misguided One: we have one of your magnets and it's proudly displayed on the front of our refridgerator door! Very well done.

Team Crikey....the postcard idea is GREAT! Is the Avery paper semi-gloss/glossy like 'real' postcards are?

Rich in NEPA...I always look forward to seeing what new signature item you're working on. You are one creative geocachin' man!

------------------

Not all who wander are lost!

Take me to BeanAcres

[This message has been edited by TheBeans (edited 03 March 2002).]

Guest Team Crikey

quote:
Originally posted by TheBeans:

Is the Avery paper semi-gloss/glossy like 'real' postcards are?

I use Avery 8387 paper for Ink Jet postcards. There are 4 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 cards per sheet, printed landscape. Its matte. I tried some of the 4x6 glossy paper, but its harder to get through the printer and to print on both sides.

One of the subtle things about printing double sided on a full 8 1/2 x 11 sheet is that the printer needs some extra margin on the back end of the sheet so that it can still grip the paper (i.e. the right landscape margin needs to be about 1/4 inch more than the other margins. I solved that by putting putting the pictures on the left side of the page and the text on the right. When the paper is run through the printer for the back side, the same setup works (pictures on the left). This allows the pictures to be nice and centered without getting shoved over for the extra margin on the right. The stamp block is the only part that has to leave room for the right margin. On a post card, the right side is where all the white space is anyway.

My process would not work well with paper glossy on one side because half the cards print the picture on the front and half print it on the back, if you can picture it from the way I've described it.

I've noticed other Avery papers which allow you to print all the way to the edge, but there are only two per page and they are centered in the page so there is still extra paper to allow for margins (which get torn off along perforations). That's just too pricey for me.

I'm thinking about detailing the process more on my web page, with photos and templates. Just need to find the time. A picture would speak a thousand words. (Sorry this is so verbose).

As an aside, I can consistently crash Word with my postcards. I have to do a "Save as..." instead of a "Save", and even that does not always work. I believe that's because I force to text to an absolute position on the page(i.e. floating text) and that seems to cause Word some problems.

[This message has been edited by Team Crikey (edited 03 March 2002).]

Guest DisQuoi

quote:
Originally posted by Ramness570: 1000029621_218200281417PM0.5670587.jpg

Is Christine the girl or the GPS unit? Also, did you know that your email address can be shortened to "tazd@att.net"?

Guest Ramness570

quote:
Originally posted by DisQuoi:

Is Christine the girl or the GPS unit? Also, did you know that your email address can be shortened to "tazd@att.net"?

The girl... guess I should move it abit. I didn't know that about the email addy, since when? I have had that addy for about 6 years now!

------------------

quote:
Lastly, here is the card I leave in each cache log. I use double-sided tape, but need to find something with a peel-off backing. Ideas?

If you have a scrapbooking store in your area, they may have what you're looking for. I can't recall the brand name, but you can print onto the sheets and then remove the backing if/when you're ready to stick it onto something.

It's possible an art supply store might carry this product, too.

Good luck!

Enfanta