FBI goes on puzzle multi-cache

Hope they traded up.

Full story here:

----------------

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A5065-2003Jul30?language=printer

My abridged version:

--------------------

Convicted spy Brian P. Regan buried more than 20,000 pages of documents classified as top secret or higher and he intended to sell them to Iraq, Iran and other countries.

The caches of documents were buried 18 inches deep, wrapped in garbage bags, lightweight plastic or Tupperware.

A green toothbrush holder was used in which Regan buried his own secret codes which recorded where the documents were stashed. Other codes were found in a buried purple saltshaker.

It took agents about a month, with Regan's help, to break the codes before they started digging.

Dozens of FBI agents battled bugs and pouring rain as they forged through hilly terrain in Patapsco Valley State Park near Baltimore and Pocahontas State Park in central Virginia. The material was found after months of digging in 19 locations -- 12 in the Virginia park and seven in the Maryland park after months of digging.

"It was horrible. There were mosquitoes, bugs, ticks, extremely hilly terrain, rivers, streams," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Patricia Haynes, a prosecutor on the case who accompanied agents.

Regan intended to assert his innocence by saying that the holes he had dug were part of a game of "treasure hunt" he wanted to play with his children, McNulty said.

From the Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines

quote:
Caches will be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

- Caches on National Park Service maintained lands

- Caches that are buried - If a shovel/trowel/pointy object is used to dig - in order to hide or find a cache - it's not appropriate.

- Caches hidden by active railroad tracks

- Caches near or in military installations

- Caches under public structures deemed targets for terrorist attacks

- Caches placed on vacation.

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

quote:
Originally posted by mcdefjef:

Hope they traded up.

"It was horrible. There were mosquitoes, bugs, ticks, extremely hilly terrain, rivers, streams," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Patricia Haynes, a prosecutor on the case who accompanied agents.

Awww, poor G-Man, did you get your suit and tie dirty? There, there....WELCOME TO GEOCACHING 101. You're in our world now.

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

quote:
Originally posted by mcdefjef:

Hope they traded up.

Awww, poor G-Man, did you get your suit and tie dirty? There, there....WELCOME TO GEOCACHING 101. You're in our world now.

Just after I posted this, the phone rang.

"I.R.S.? Audit? What audit? ME?"

Uh-oh.

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

From the http://www.geocaching.com/articles/requirements.asp

quote:
Caches will be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

- Caches on National Park Service maintained lands

_- Caches that are buried - If a shovel/trowel/pointy object is used to dig - in order to hide or find a cache - it's not appropriate._

- Caches hidden by active railroad tracks

- Caches near or in military installations

- Caches under public structures deemed targets for terrorist attacks

- Caches placed on vacation.

Suggested updates:

- Caches hiding military secrets are frowned upon.

- Caches placed while on the lam from the Feds will not be approved.

- Caches involving WMD plans r program outlines are also frowned upon.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

Man that's what I was going to say! They got paid and they were whining. We do this stuff for free.

I think that's the problem! Now, if one of us had been around showing them how to use a GPS and explaining how much fun the sport was, maybe they wouldn't have complained as much... Better yet, perhaps they should have hired one of us to just take the cords and go find the cache! LOL