"NO DOGS ALLOWED"

Fismo

It should be obvious from reading the cache logs that many of us enjoy taking our dogs along while geocaching. Several times we have driven a fair distance only to find that there were no dogs allowed in the area of the cache. I think it would be thoughtful and helpful if when listing a cache, the person indicate whether it is an area that is dog friendly.

Happy caching!

I try taking my dogs along with me (actually, it's more of the other way around) whenever I geocache and so a note indicating whether or not the trail/cache site is dog-friendly is always much appreciated.

However, in the absence of such info, I do my best to do some research ahead of time (e.g., visiting the park's website, etc.) and/or email the cache owner to see if the canines can cache-a-long....

I've never seen a park in my area that didn't allow dogs as long as they were on a leash.

When I hide a cache I never think about if dogs are allowed or not, nor do I really care. I place caches for humans.....not dogs. Don't get me wrong...I love dogs and I can see the joy of taking them on a cache hunt. But if we try to precieve every possible thing......dogs, cats, horses, atvs. It is impossible.....well maybe not impossible, but way to much work.

If dogs aren't allowed in your park on a leash...talk to your local park people and find out why. Like I said, in this area of NC I've never heard of such a thing.

Don't take me as being hard hearted..because I'm not. Just trying to be realistic here.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

Most people pay attention to things that interest them. Dogs, mountain biking, fishing, sunbathing, etc. are all things that could be accounted for. Where do you draw the line for expectations? While it would be nice for a hider to list all activities that are permitted at a particular park, it's not realistic and the finder needs to take the initiative to find out if anything beyond humans are allowed. Many park & rec dept. have web sites that list their rules.

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

I love dogs and I can see the joy of taking them on a cache hunt. But if we try to percieve every possible thing......

For me, it's not a big deal and I make it my responsibility to find out. I also realize that the cache owner may not have this info either. It would be nice to know, that's all...

By the way, I've never seen "no dogs allowed" when visiting your typical well-manicured neighborhood parks out here in Southern California. However, there are a few wilderness parks/areas (and sometimes just certain trails within a wilderness area -- go figure!) and beaches that do not allow my four-legged friends. We also have a few nature preserves out here; some of them do and some of them don't.

On the other hand, I've never seen any signs posted about not being to take along my pet boa constrictor icon_wink.gif ! And people wonder why I always carry a backpack.....

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

I love dogs and I can see the joy of taking them on a cache hunt. But if we try to percieve every possible thing......

For me, it's not a big deal and I make it my responsibility to find out. I also realize that the cache owner may not have this info either. It would be nice to know, that's all...

By the way, I've never seen "no dogs allowed" when visiting your typical well-manicured neighborhood parks out here in Southern California. However, there are a few wilderness parks/areas (and sometimes just certain trails within a wilderness area -- go figure!) and beaches that do not allow my four-legged friends. We also have a few nature preserves out here; some of them do and some of them don't.

On the other hand, I've never seen any signs posted about not being to take along my pet boa constrictor icon_wink.gif ! And people wonder why I always carry a backpack.....

quote:
Originally posted by husqui:

By the way, I've never seen "no dogs allowed" when visiting your typical well-manicured neighborhood parks out here in Southern California.

My dog Gromit and I found a No Dogs Allowed park in La Costa just North of San Diego. I agree with those who have stated its the finder's responsibility to do some research before hand to know if their dog is allowed but it is also a nice bonus when I see the hider has noted that dogs are welcome.

Here's my log...

Gromit is torqued

Gromit is pissed

Though not officially Borked

This park he must miss

He’s got four paws

And a long wet snout

This park has got laws

His kind is not to linger about

We pull in and park

He’s ready whole hogs

But setting off on a lark

Here… is verboten for dogs!

Bikedog! What are you doing to me? Gromit sees the hat I’m wearing… He knows we’re going geocaching. The wonderdog sees I have the GPS around my neck… He knows we’re going geocaching. I’m carrying a cache site printout… He knows we are going geocaching. I get out of the car and tell him I’ll be back in a couple of minutes… He knows Yrium is a big teasing jerk who needs a bite on his bottom. Later to make it up to him it’s a full meaty rib bone that he gets when we get home. Dog bites man story narrowly adverted!

I find the park to be a in full use on this Fourth of July holiday. It’s an hour before noon and there are already quite a few picnics taking place. Hurrying to the part of the park where my GPS is pointing it changes from a well-watered manicured landscaped oasis to a more natural brambly bushy tree environment. Its funny that just across the way I can see more houses but for the little path I’m walking on I’m in a mini version of the boonies. It takes just a minute to find the general location of the cache and then the hunt is on. A search for a Bikedog cache is always one that takes a little more looking than average. I’ve noticed that he likes to place caches near slopes or cliffs so your never quite sure if you should be up on top looking or down below. There is a retaining wall here that separates the two levels and I’m not sure which altitude I should be on as I start my search so I give it my best guess and go for it. It took me around twenty minutes to find as I walked past it a couple of times before spotting it.

Lots of good geoswag inside. I drop off five “#4 – Yrium’s Pals” geocacher trading cards featuring Bikedog and a georged dollar bill in exchange for a Garfield ruler. I hand drew the Bikedog on the card, let me know how you think I did. I’m thinking I’m a budding artist ready to draw the parrot cartoon on the back of the matchbook in preparation to getting into art school. Whistlestick looking over my shoulder says “Oh he looks cute”… Humoring words from my deluded devoted wife? Or an expert opinion by a discerning artistic critic? You be the judge.

Liked the cache Bikedog, oh and Gromit wasn’t all that upset. He’s pretty easygoing.

--- yrium ---

quote:
Originally posted by Acceptable Risk:

Actually, it would be nice to have checkboxes that the cache owner could select...

Pets OK

Wheelchair Accessible

Bike Accessible

Daytime Hours Only

4wd/Truck Required

(Acceptable Risk: I singled you out only because you started a list, nothing personal)

Lets not forget checkboxes for:

ATV Access

Safe For Children

Boats

Jet Skis Allowed

Aircraft Accessibility

Snowmobiles Allowed

Firearms

Rock Climbing Equipment

Other pets

Cell phone signal

Audio Devices (Yes, we have a park that prohibits these)

Snowshoes needed

Vehicle size restriction

Motorcycles

Reservations required

Local Wildlife to be aware of

Poisonous plant/animal info

Entrance fees

Weather advisories

Seasonal advisories

Parking availability

etc., etc., etc.

(All these are issues at places here in Maine)

There are such a diverse bunch of people playing this game and areas it is played in, we'd need a list a mile long to cover everyone's interest. I don't have a dog, so I'd probably not think of that. I'd be more inclined to want to know if I could take my ATV, which the next person may be allergic to bee stings and want to know how prominent those are. I almost agree with the wheelchair topic, but I'd think the ratings and notes should give the cacher and idea whether to attempt it or not. I'm always taking my car somewhere I wish I had my truck, or wear sneakers when I'd wish I'd worn boots. I think it's part of the game to determine for yourself how to approach the area. Any of us that would have an issue that was of major concern for us such as bringing a dog or ATV access should contact the landowner before hand, just as if we were going there for a reason other than geocaching.

Yellow Dog Project: Nice icons, good idea for those that will use them. - missed a few on my list though.

[This message was edited by brdad on July 29, 2002 at 03:56 AM.]

This was discussed in Condition Icons thread in May. In my opinion, a cache owner doesn't have to report any conditions if he feels feels it will make the cache more challenging ... nor do I think that it is necessary for someone to tell you that your dog is welcome as a given park since you can usually expect that she will be (worst case: on a leash). However, it would be a nice feature to be able to include a condition icon for the occasional park where dogs are not allowed. If several people complain that there are bees in the vicinity, the owner could modify the cache conditions to include a bee icon. But it would be rediculous to have a "no bees" icon, don't you think?

I can understand why brdad thinks the list of possible conditions is too long but by using some judgement (and identifying what types of conditions icons are in demand), a short list could meet most needs of most people. If snow shoes are a must, or audio devices not permitted, one could always include such a note in the description. It would be rare. But if there's a clear demand for indentifying dog permittedness, I'd much rather see a small black and white symbol than a note on every single description.

I just realized that Jeremy has said that he plans to add voluntary attributes (see linked thread above) ... I'm guessing that dogs would be included.

Yes, it would be ridiculous to see a "no bees" icon. Then the people with Ophidiophobia would want a snake icon...

That was the point I was trying to make. It will be nice to see the basic option available, but we'll still have to verify the facts.

Also, we'd have to differentiate between what can be accessed physically versus legally (just beacuse it is legal for an ATV or dog to access an area does not mean it would be safe to be there with it).

I'm doing a lot of talking in a thread about dogs for a guy that has none... At least it's on my mind now so I may take notice and place the icon when I place a cache just to be nice. After all, I like to meet a dogs now and then on the trails; some of the owners are nice to talk to too. icon_smile.gif

Yes, it would be ridiculous to see a "no bees" icon. Then the people with Ophidiophobia would want a snake icon...

That was the point I was trying to make. It will be nice to see the basic option available, but we'll still have to verify the facts.

Also, we'd have to differentiate between what can be accessed physically versus legally (just beacuse it is legal for an ATV or dog to access an area does not mean it would be safe to be there with it).

I'm doing a lot of talking in a thread about dogs for a guy that has none... At least it's on my mind now so I may take notice and place the icon when I place a cache just to be nice. After all, I like to meet a dogs now and then on the trails; some of the owners are nice to talk to too. icon_smile.gif

Don't forget icons for:

Perverts in the area, male/female

Blind capable

Pygmy goat friendly

Politically correct/Environmentally friendly

Moron/idiot safe

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................