Real time game + GPS = Minute War

teamwsmf

I just stumbled on this web site. I have not joined in and am curious to hear if anyone here has done so and what they think.

http://MinuteWar.org

"MinuteWar is a game of territorial conquest using the real world as the playing field and GPS receivers for navigation.

Every player in the world uses his own local map, but all the maps are combined so that all players compete against everyone else at the same time no matter where they live.

The maps are divided into squares. Each square is one minute of longitude wide and one minute of latitude tall. Each square contains a virtual flag. Visit the exact spot where the flag is located to capture the flag and control the square. Capture other players' flags by visiting the same spot they did, on their map or yours. Whoever controls the most territory when the game ends, wins.

The battle to capture these flags and hold these squares is MinuteWar. Your first flag is in a neighborhood near you. Join and play! "

----------------------------

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

quote:
Originally posted by OblongFred:

Looks like fun. Wait a minute, looks like there is one about a quarter mile from my apartment.

Thats the great thing about it, there's a bunch within a mile or 2 of everyone on the planet. Now, getting to it is a different story. Harder yet is trying to figure out where to PUT it after you capture it.

Illegitimus non carborundum!

One of the cooler aspects of the game is that it is only a few days oldicon_smile.gif-

Scout, the guy who set up the inital rules, is great about opening up the floor for potential rules variants and including new tech into the game.

Its a work in proress that is a hoot to be a part of.

The concept of the mapboard is great. Since the Degrees part is basiclay stripped out of the equation everyone in the game regradless of geographical location is in the same 60 sqaure mile playing field with spaces only 1 square mile big.

You find yourself battling for a piece of ground with teammates in Boston and Enland against a motley bunch from Texas and Hawai. You plan moves based on enemy intel, figuring out who it is that is encroaching on your spaces and where you can repostion the flags in a sqaure so that in thier geographical location it would be inaccesable.

Like I said the game is unfolding before our eyes and the startegy of playin is being discovered with each new turn.

I will be vastly amused to see what MInute War mutates into 6 months from nowicon_smile.gif- I can see differnt variants to suit the pace of just about any player.

-tom

W122N45 Division of the Great Nameless Hordes of the North

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

One of the cooler aspects of the game is that it is only a few days old:)-

Scout, the guy who set up the inital rules, is great about opening up the floor for potential rules variants and including new tech into the game.

Its a work in proress that is a hoot to be a part of.

The concept of the mapboard is great. Since the Degrees part is basiclay stripped out of the equation everyone in the game regradless of geographical location is in the same 60 sqaure mile playing field with spaces only 1 square mile big.

You find yourself battling for a piece of ground with teammates in Boston and Enland against a motley bunch from Texas and Hawai. You plan moves based on enemy intel, figuring out who it is that is encroaching on your spaces and where you can repostion the flags in a sqaure so that in thier geographical location it would be inaccesable.

Like I said the game is unfolding before our eyes and the startegy of playin is being discovered with each new turn.

I will be vastly amused to see what MInute War mutates into 6 months from now:)- I can see differnt variants to suit the pace of just about any player.

-tom

W122N45 Division of the Great Nameless Hordes of the North

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

This looks like it will be great fun, especially because it is so accessible. With so many flags right in what is basically your own back yard (and they could really be in your back yard!) you can participate even on the busiest of days.

I agree that it will be very interesting to see what MinuteWar evolves into over the next several months. I can picture a majority of the playing board being covered and strategic areas being captured/recaptured daily.

Hopefully I'll get my approval from team N shortly, I'm right near an area that can threaten a major block of another team!