Secret password

azog

If (and when) you meet other potential cachers, how do you strike up the conversation? In these forums, I've read that some people say "did you find it?", but that could possibly be embarrassing if they're not a cacher. "Find what?", and how do you answer that? (that's a different topic).

Not to be subversive or paranoid about "questionable activities" (Criminal!), but just in a brotherhood sort of way.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

We've run into 2 different cachers while on the hunt. The first set came right out and asked us if we were geocaching.........the second one we asked if he was........ We generally do some close observations before approaching.......is one holding a GPS in his hand? Is another one carrying the Geocaching.com printouts? You can generally tell if we are......I'm carrying the printouts......and my husband is the one tripping over all the sticks and rocks because he's concentrating so hard on the GPS that he's not watching the trail........ icon_eek.gif

Most of the time you just kind of stare at each other in passing.eek5.gif

Waiting for the other to say something first.

I went to one last month. When I arrived there were four other cachers milling around. I walked right up to them, holding my GPS out in front of me. I didn't take my eyes off me GPS. A couple of them were staring at me. Several moments passed before one said "caching?".

nixweiss.gif

Preparation, the first law to survival.

lodging3.jpggeol1.jpg

Mokita!

Recently my boyfriend and I were doing a maintenance run on the one cache we've placed. There was only one other person in the park and he was walking down the trail towards us, coming away from the cache location. I knew right away he was a cacher and he knew the same about me as well, as we both had a yellow etrex hanging around our neck. As we neared he struck up the conversation regarding caching. Seemed like a real nice guy. That was our first cacher encounter. I hope there'll be more icon_smile.gif

Even when I've gotten there I don't know where I am.

What is the big deal here? This is a cool topic, but why is it big deal to just ask someone on the trail if they are geocaching. I have run into several fellow geocachers (or groups of geocachers) on my hikes. First, it is usually obvious if they are geocaching, because they are holding GPS’s. Second, I just ask them “Are you geocaching?” If they answer no, a conversation usually ensues where I explain to them what geocaching is. I have created several geocaching converts by doing this.

In one case, a guy and his daughter joined me on the hunt for the cache and by the time we were done he was talking about having his wife get him a GPS for Christmas. He even called her on his cell phone to explain geocaching to her. The thing to remember is that most people who are into the outdoors and hiking will be interested in geocaching.

RM

We stopped into a local surplus store to pick up a huge ammo can that we'll be needing soon for our new cache, when a guy comes up & starts looking at the smaller ammo cans. I openly stared at him for a few seconds, then asked him if he was a geocacher. At first, he tried to act all sly & innocent and asked what's that? But I could tell by the twinkle in his eyes that he was a fellow cacher!

After a few minutes of covert banter, he finally fessed up & asked which team we were! Turns out he'd recently moved our TB, Dora The Explorer!

We all chatted for a bit, exchanged pleasantries & hoped we'd see each other on the trail sometime, or meet again at one of our local geocaching picnics!

I must say though, I didn't understand his need for secrecy or anonymity! After all, he'd recently attended a caching picnic & met several fellow cachers there. So, what's the big deal about running into other cachers in the field or while shopping for obvious supplies??? Personally, I would enjoy meeting fellow cachers, no matter the circumstances!!

The Pet Posse

Dogs Have Owners....Cats Have Staff!!

I've already decided that if/when I run into someone while hunting a cache... if I'm pretty sure what they are doing, I'd say something like "I bet you are here to do the same thing I was doing." (with a sneaky, almost sinister grin.)

I'm actually kinda hoping that when I do use that line, that the people end up not being geocachers after all. That'll leave 'em wondering for a while, eh?

geobanana.gif

The Toe Pages

[This message was edited by Rubbertoe on November 09, 2002 at 10:51 AM.]

quote:
I've already decided that if/when I run into someone while hunting a cache... if I'm pretty sure what they are doing, I'd say something like "I bet you are here to do the same thing I was doing." (with a sneaky, almost sinister grin.)

...hmmm that maby works on several levels, one of which rarely being geocaching, hahah

It seems as if some of you do approach geocaching as a "secret covert opperation"--one to not be shared with anyone from the "outside". I say advertise the sport that has enough power to create discussion on web pages on the internet and media. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

I usually wear my geocaching.com hat while out hunting or placing a cache. Both Anne and I carry gps units and keep them out in the open where they can be seen. Most of the time when we run across another geocacher they will mention geocaching first. I have said something first when I've been sure they were geocachers.

Byron

I recently went to do a little maintenance on one of my caches and there was a guy in the area, holding a sheet of paper in his hand and wandering around, looking up at the trees. Since my clue for that stage of the cache said to look for the large, leaning oak, I immediately suspected he was a geocacher. After watching him wander around for a while, I decided to head over to the cache, as I was pressed for time and figured I'd help him out while at it. Did what I came to do and on the way back he was sitting on a rock, studying the paper, so I said "whatcha lookin for?". His response was "The way out of here". Turns out he was not a Geocacher at all, but a lost hiker, looking for a blaze on a tree. The paper was a printout of the trail description he got from the internet. Moral? "All who wander are not Geocachers, and may actually be lost".

We have a standard FRS frequency, so it stands to reason that we should have a standard Geocaching password. My suggestion; if you think someone might be a Geocacher, challenge him/her with: "kooko-burra-ya-ya-fee-fee-la-la" and if the other person is a Geocacher they will respond with

"The dead clam dances after midnight".

If they are not a Geocacher, they will give you an odd look and walk quickly away.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on November 10, 2002 at 07:21 AM.]

What I usually do when encountering someone on a cache hunt is to wave at them with my GPS in my hand. On one occasion this caused them to return with the same and it turned out they were Geocaching too.

Other times people just return the wave sans GPS. Which to me means they are either non-cachers or ashamed of their lousy GPS. icon_razz.gif

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:
He even called her on his cell phone to explain geocaching to her. The thing to remember is that most people who are into the outdoors and hiking will be interested in geocaching.

RM

I took a walk around the lake at Celebration , Fl. yesterday. All the people I met said a Hi except 3. They were walking and talking on there cell phones. They passed me without even looking up. I hate cell phones in the woods. Except for emergencies of course. That said, I've only run into 1 other couple while caching. We had just found it when they got there. They had a curious looking device that wasn't working so I gave them my etrex and waited for them to find it. We shared the cache and it was quite fun. I'd rather not have to explain it to everyone I meet on the trail tho.

Saw a couple on the trail behind us yesterday. When they caught up to us I just asked them if they were Geocachers. They seemed a little reluctant to admit it. Turns out they were first timers and were using their GPSR for the first time too. We told them about a few of our adventures and gave them a few tips and invited them to go on ahead of us. We don't travel very fast when our two year old is on the ground. We met them again on their way out. They found it and seemed pretty excited. After 73 finds yesterday was only the second time we've ever met other cachers on the hunt.

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

I've already decided that if/when I run into someone while hunting a cache... if I'm pretty sure what they are doing, I'd say something like "I bet you are here to do the same thing _I_ was doing." (with a sneaky, almost sinister grin.)

I'm actually kinda hoping that when I do use that line, that the people end up not being geocachers after all. That'll leave 'em wondering for a while, eh?

http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/geobanana.gif http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/index.html

[This message was edited by Rubbertoe on November 09, 2002 at 10:51 AM.]

I thought you DIDN'T want to run into anyone. What changed?

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

checking my cache we almost met up with geospotter and wife. We knew they were caching but weren't sure what to do since we had JUST left the cache, maintenence done, stocked full of goodies. I wish we had said something to them, and next time I will!

But the best meeting witha fellow geocacher was when I found a second one or Ttepee's totem pouches and I e-mailed her asking if I could have kept a second one. We continued e-mailing each other, met up last Tuesday and climbed a mountain, and we are going back out today. As a matter of fact just got her e-mail confirming this. Ttepee is one fine geocacher and if I can begin to emulate her cache hiding style I'll be happy. I found one of her caches yesterday in a great hiding spot in a beautiful preserve.

kooko-burra-ya-ya-fee-fee-la-la,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

"It doesn't matter whether you're going somewhere or nowhere, whether you're doing something or nothing. If you're doing it in a boat it's the best time ever!" -Water Rat from "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame (a book I picked up in a cache)

If you see a potential geocacher..

DO the Drunken Bee Dance that we are so familiar with while holding the GPS.

This time do the dance counter clockwise to initiate a greeting. Clockwise has been known to begin Klingonlike mating rituals.

If the person is a geocacher, the subject may become amused and walk over. Do not be alarmed. Contine the drunken bee dance. You may supplement it with cries like 'GARMIN RULES!' or 'YOU ARE THE SEARCH ENGINE'

If he is a true geocacher, appropriate conversation will follow...

If he is not a geocacher, you will clearly know what an idiot feels like .... icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

I've already decided that if/when I run into someone while hunting a cache... if I'm pretty sure what they are doing, I'd say something like "I bet you are here to do the same thing _I_ was doing." (with a sneaky, almost sinister grin.)

I thought you DIDN'T want to run into anyone. What changed?

george

Toe discovered the IRC chatroom, and now he is quite sociable. He's even started bathing again.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Please attend our seminar, "Geocaching for Time Travelers," which will be held two weeks ago.

The real issue here is to have a standard Geocaching password and response, so we can communicate in certain situations. I mentioned the following in a post above and I think we should put it to a vote:

The challenge: "kooko-burra-ya-ya-fee-fee-la-la" and The response: "The dead clam dances after midnight".

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

My suggestion; if you think someone might be a Geocacher, challenge him/her with: _"kooko-burra-ya-ya-fee-fee-la-la"_ and if the other person _is_ a Geocacher they will respond with

_"The dead clam dances after midnight"_.

If they are not a Geocacher, they will give you an odd look and walk quickly away.

Given that presentation, I vote for odd looks and walking quickly, too! icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

checking my cache we almost met up with geospotter and wife. We knew they were caching but weren't sure what to do since we had JUST left the cache, maintenence done, stocked full of goodies. I wish we had said something to them, and next time I will!

But the best meeting witha fellow geocacher was when I found a second one of Ttepee's totem pouches and I e-mailed her asking if I could have kept a second one. We continued e-mailing each other, met up last Tuesday and climbed a mountain, and we are going back out today. As a matter of fact just got her e-mail confirming this. Ttepee is one fine geocacher and if I can begin to emulate her cache hiding style I'll be happy. I found one of her caches yesterday in a great hiding spot in a beautiful preserve.

kooko-burra-ya-ya-fee-fee-la-la,

Planet

http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/contrib/edoom/spacecraft.gif

"It doesn't matter whether you're going somewhere or nowhere, whether you're doing something or nothing. If you're doing it in a boat it's the best time ever!" -Water Rat from "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame (a book I picked up in a cache)

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif