Surveyors location format

Guest Avatar

Guest Avatar

I need to convert a surveyor's location to one I can find with my GPS. Can anyone help me do this or tell me if the format is in a format that my GPS (Garmin eMap) will recognize? The 2 numbers are in a XXXXXXX.X format.

------------------

Guest Avatar

Thanks. I found the same page on the net however it will only allow you to input a 2-digit zone so therefore the coordinated I have are displayed off the coast of Central America! The location I'm looking for is SE of Atlanta, GA.

Here's the poop. These are known as State Plane numbers to a surveyor. It seems that each state uses the same numbers, starting from a location within that state.. Our "zero line here in Wyoming is in the Wind River Mountains. There is a convertion program soomewhere that will convert to UTM, lat/long.. That is according to a surveyor I know.

a few links as I find them

http://www.cadastral.com/cadspval.htm

http://www.landsurveyors.com/surveyorsmm.htm

http://www.samsog.org/

[This message has been edited by zilla (edited 27 August 2001).]

Guest geomapper

There is a conversion tool located at http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/TOOLS/spc.html which converts state plane coordinates to lat/long. Plugging in your numbers gave me the following results. I had to choose NAD27 to get the results in feet rather than meters. Using NAD83 (meters) gave a wierd result. The area you indicated is in the Georgia State Plane West zone which is known as zone 1002. 1001 is the Ga State Plane east zone. The numbers you listed are probably coordinates given in US Survey Feet. Hope this helps.

===========================================================

North(Feet) East(Feet) Datum Zone

INPUT = 239897.5 1248318.8 NAD27 1002

===========================================================

LATITUDE

DD MM SS.sssss

30 38 16.42634

LONGITUDE

DDD MM SS.sssss

81 47 15.00165

The longer I look at these numbers the less convinced I am that the numbers are correct. The results above are not that close to the coordinates you suspect. First you need to be sure you know which number is for north and which is for east. Second, verify that the numbers are feet rather than meters. You can try switching the numbers in the north and east fields and see if you get better results.

[This message has been edited by geomapper (edited 27 August 2001).]

Guest Avatar

You're right. These coordinates are in extreem SE Georgia near Jacksonville. The area I'm looking for is probably within 1 acre of N33°43.220,W083°83.123.

Normally I wouldn't go to so much effort but the property is owned by the State and the Director is alowing me to place a cache there if I can help him locate this location.

[This message has been edited by Avatar (edited 28 August 2001).]

Guest Avatar

Still needing help, Guys. My attempts at translating this location into Lon/Lat format (using either of the 2 zones for Ga. and translating into NAD83 or NAD27) have resulted in locations from the Atlantic Ocean to Quebec. Using UTM translations landed me off the coast of Central America. Any other ideas?

Guest sblack

Avatar, Try contacting someone in your county government Land Records/Mapping/GIS office. They will be familiar with the state plane coordinates and may be willing to help you get them converted to lat/lon.

Scott

The document where the X,Y (or E,N) co-ordinates came from originally, should state the system, whether NAD, UTM, or whatever. (Sometimes the Spheroid too) Get the system, and one should be able to convert.

Guest Avatar

Unfortionately the only "map" I have in my posession is a 8.5" x 11" copy of a sketch showing property lines and approximate diminsions. The east edge of the property ends with some kind of markers that "should be in the river" - hense no surveyors markers - and the west edge has it's corners marked by "rocks."

The best luck I'd have in pacing off the property line would be through 2987' of dense woods and brush - providing I could find the marker to start with...

Guest geomapper

Avatar, try contacting the Regional Development Center that covers the county where these coordinates are located. Here is a link to a pdf document listing information about each of the regional centers. http://www.dca.state.ga.us/planning/rdc.pdf Each of these centers has some GIS staff who should be familiar very with ga state plane. You may be able to give them the coordinates and let them plot the point on their mapping system. These centers provide various planning services to the counties they serve so they should be glad to help you