Cache rating question

Guest gnbrotz

Guest gnbrotz

Although I use (and love) the geocache rating system, I am not sure if I should change the answer to one of my terrain questions. As is, the cache is rated a 4 because it doesn't *require* specialized equipment. The easiest route to the area will be over the back of a ridge and down the other side onto the top of some large rock formations. There are many small trails leading down/around through the rocks.

wrcks.jpg

I am NOT a rock climber; however, due to a good many leaves and pine needles which is making some places a little tricky, I stopped by the local outdoor store to talk to them. I told them what I was doing and where I was doing it, explained I was not a climber and didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on gear, but wanted to be safe in what I was doing. They recommended a rope and told me how to use it properly without any harness or hardware. I am going to follow their recommendations for my own safety, even though it would be *possible* without doing so.

Should I go ahead and consider this as *requiring* specialized equipment lest some bonehead go out and scramble to his death? I am leaning towards this as I think it is better to rate a cache on the higher side if there is any question. Just wanted to get some other opinions.

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'

My geocaching page

[This message has been edited by gnbrotz (edited 16 October 2001).]

Speaking as a "bonehead" that can be quite clumsy...

I recommend that in the description of the cache, you explain the possible dangers of the terrain. And state that you are using a rope for safety purposes. That it's not necessary, but a consideration and decision the hunter can make for themselves.

It can be their call, as long as they are informed.

Looks like a beautiful area for a cache hunt!!!

Guest Iron Chef

I agree with Maxxer. In additon to that, although ClayJar's system of rating geocaches is good you should understand that it is no replacement for a judgement call on the part of the person placing the cache. There are situations where the geocache rating system will not work or give a rating that does not seem consistant with the true difficulty/terrain. I personally believe that there are too many factors that go into a rating than are addressed with the current system so I decide on my own diff/terr ratings when planting a cache. If anything, I like to overshoot my ratings and then lower them later after getting some feedback from people who have found the cache. Better to err on the side of caution than to be hasty and limp back to the car. :~) Of course this is all just my opinion, I hope that it helps though!

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

[This message has been edited by Iron Chef (edited 13 October 2001).]

Guest brokenwing

I agree with the other posters. The terrain rating is important, but not as important as good descriptions of the dangers involved. As far as an actual rating, consider 4.5 as a starting point if you think it's more difficult than the rating system would lead you to believe. Remember, the rating system is just a guideline. Consider it a starting point, or a second opinion. It was never meant to be a "spot on" rating that you are somehow bound to.

Best of luck!

brokenwing

------------------

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Guest Markwell

Also - it's not only "specialized equipment" caches that will rate 5 for terrain. I could see that a cache is so darn difficult that it could rate 4.75 from Clayjar's calculator, but the reality check from the cache hider could rate it as 5.

Guest RedwoodRed

I'm glad that this question has come up, because my S.O. and I are planning a cache placement that will require a three-hour hike in and SIX hours back out due to steepness of the trail.

My S.O. claims that the cache should be rated at a 5.0 for terrain, but I can't see where any kind of specialized equipment would be required... just a great deal of time and most definitely a walking stick, water and possibly camping gear to spend the night.

------------------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

http://www.queenofheartscastle.com/home.htm

http://www.beautywithattitude.com

http://www.w6hy.org

Guest brokenwing

d that this question has come up, because my S.O. and I are planning a cache placement that will require a three-hour hike in and SIX hours back out due to steepness of the trail.

My S.O. claims that the cache should be rated at a 5.0 for terrain, but I can't see where any kind of specialized equipment would be required... just a great deal of time and most definitely a walking stick, water and possibly camping gear to spend the night.

If you have not run the cache through the GCRS, I would suggest doing so. I gave some thought to overnighting when the criteria were developed, and so it should be pretty simple to figure out where your cache fits. I'm guessing somewhere around 4.5 based on your description. It's up to you to decide if it should be higher or lower based on the specialized knowlege you have about the terrain.

I wish you lived in my area, we could use some more challenging caches!

Best of luck.

brokenwing

------------------

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching