What's your caching distance?

fizzymagic

I'm interested in what people's total caching distances are. Naturally, that's because I think I have the biggest.

There are two distances you can calculate: summed distance from your home coordinates or what I call the caching distance, which is the distance it would take to visit all the caches you've found, in the order you've found them.

I do it with a database and spreadsheet; I know others who do it with a personal travel bug. Here are the rules I hold myself to:

Distance from cache to cache only, in the order found.

No including trips to/from home.

Locationless caches only count if you record the actual location you found them.

Likewise with locationless caches that were called virtual caches before locationless caches existed.

For multicaches, use only the position of the final cache. Distance between legs does not count.

For puzzle caches, use the distance to the actual cache location.

Has anybody else done this? What's your total?

I don't know my total mileage but I had to drive to Lexington KY from MI last Monday and I did three. So each find was over 200 miles. Plus my caching trip over Thanksgiving which included the following states: MI, IL, IA, MO, KS, OK, AR, IN. And that does not take into account all the local trips in Michigan including the upper peninsula. Add two caching trips to Canada too.

I am not keeping track but this hobby may not be as cheap as I thought. But who cares? I forgot about the finds in NY when I went to the baseball hall of fame.

That's all without traveling much. My personal TB tracks the mileage. http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=3953

It takes a long time to load though with 367 finds to date. I had one cache owner delete all the finds when the cache went missing so my counter is off by one. icon_mad.gif

Way back in the days when the grass was still green

and the pond was still wet

and the clouds were still clean,

and the song of the Swomee-Swans rang out in space...

one morning, I came to this glorious place.

WOW! icon_eek.gif

I am not sure if I can count that high. icon_biggrin.gif Back about 300 caches ago I was over 10,000 miles then. Let me know what you guys are doing for that PTB and I just might have to set one up and check it out. Although I am missing the numbers for a removed cache. icon_confused.gif

It's like this. One week I might be in the Bend area, Then Spokane the next week then on the Oregon Coast then I might be in Montana then back to Clarkston etcetc. icon_biggrin.gif

TTFN, logscaler and Red

I forgot to post my distance in my first post! It is almost 66,000 miles now (65,948.47, to be exact). I traveled a lot this fall, and got caches in the Netherlands and the Carribean. Since I will never catch the champions in sheer numbers, it's my only distinction. icon_rolleyes.gif

If you don't remember your exact cache ordering, you can still do a summation of the distances of your caches from your home. Mine is now at about 237,500 miles.

I have recently been working on putting together an ExpertGPS file of all of my finds, so it was reasonably easy to calculate my caching distance. I don't have my finds ordered by find number yet, so all I can do at this time is a summation. That distance is currently 165,180.75 miles. I'll be interested in seeing what my ordered distance turns out to be. I'm expecting that it's around 50,000 miles. I have two trips to England, one to Pennsylvania and Virginia, one to Alaska and one to Mexico that give me the biggest boosts.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

I've orderd a batch of TBs. I was planning on using one for a Personal TB. But how would you go back to all the ones you've been to? Just make a note drop it in and then remove it? Then you could just delete the post after you are done right? Wouldn't this confuse some of the cache owners? I'm curious to see how far I've gone. Its prob not that far. Around 1000 or so.

The stats are the easy part! The most time consuming thing was ordering my cache finds in my ExpertGPS file. Then, it was simple to export the data to Excel and use a formula to count up the cumulative and summed distances.

As for doing a lot of caching, I'm one of the slower people around anymore it seems. There are people going at double or triple my pace. THOSE are the people you should ask!

icon_geocachingwa.gif