Cache Numbering?

Guest ScottJ

Guest ScottJ

Since we have the geocaching.com web site as a central geocache posting facility, has anyone ever considered assigning a unique, say, four-digit number to each cache posted?

My thinking is this -- when I enter a cache into my GPS, I have to give it a 6-character name. (Thanks, Garmin.) Not many of the cache names currently out there will fit in 6 characters, and some caches just flat don't HAVE names, other than "Geocache by Jim Pate", etc.

If we assigned every cache a number as it was posted, though, then folks could enter them in the GPS as, say, "GC2025". The number would be posted on the web site with the cache name. That way, I could print out the list of local caches with numbers, and when my GPS tells me I'm near "GC3321", I could refer to the list and see that it's the "Hog's Head Lantern Mantle Cache" right away. There'd be a direct link between the cache entry on the web site and the waypoint name. Starting all the numbers with GC, or something similar, would ensure that they all sort together in the GPS's waypoint list, making them easy to find and keep track of.

A unique identifying number like this would also help if someone eventually automates the process of downloading cache coordinates into either GPS's or files -- there'd be a preset waypoint name.

Comments?

[This message has been edited by ScottJ (edited 01-09-2001).]

Guest makaio

n Marsh cache is MTMRSH in my Garmin.

Regardless of what they are called on the website, or what number they have, all that matters is that the name or number you give it makes sense to you. Heck, as long as the coords are correct, imho, the name is irrelevent icon_smile.gif

Guest makaio

n Marsh cache is MTMRSH in my Garmin.

Regardless of what they are called on the website, or what number they have, all that matters is that the name or number you give it makes sense to you. Heck, as long as the coords are correct, imho, the name is irrelevent icon_smile.gif

Guest Mike_Teague

I used to keep my cache waypoints named with an S, the 2 letter state, and a 3 digit number.. i.e. SWA001 SOR002 etc. etc.

I think mountain marsh was SWA004.

keeps em all alphabetical when yer searchin in the GPS ...

Originally posted by ScottJ:

My thinking is this -- when I enter a cache into my GPS, I have to give it a 6-character name. (Thanks, Garmin.)

hip hip hooray for Garmin. ;-(

Originally posted by ScottJ:

If we assigned every cache a number as it was posted, though, then folks could enter them in the GPS as, say, "GC2025".

sounds reasonable but there will only be 9999 possible caches under this scheme.

I wopuld prefer to count in hex rather than decimal.

Man. That's super smart. Hex it is.

Added a "Waypoint entry:" on the cache detail page. It takes the cache ID and converts it to Hex, appending "GC" on the front of it. As long as we don't have more than 65,000 caches, we'll be ok with 6 digit names.

Jeremy

Okay, let's think big, here. If you combine the 26 letters of the alphabet with the 10 numbers, 4 places gives you a total of 1,679,616 unique ID's. THAT more than I'll ever find.....

Mark

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

Man. That's super smart. Hex it is.

Added a "Waypoint entry:" on the cache detail page. It takes the cache ID and converts it to Hex, appending "GC" on the front of it. As long as we don't have more than 65,000 caches, we'll be ok with 6 digit names.

Jeremy

I'd stay away from the "GC" in front of the number. Some time in the future it will come back to bite you.

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

Um...isn't the GCxxxx already a unique numbering system for caches?

Read the dates of the posts, the original thread was started in january of 2001, before the GC numbering system was in place.

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

With the forums scrambling the old posts with the new, here is the old post at the root of our current problem with running out of waypoints!

Shoulda listened to n7evj, Jeremy!

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

One of the most interesting things about shuffling really old topics up to the front pages is how they illustrate that there's a lot of topics that have been discussed many times before!

Hopefully more people will find the search feature in the new forums to be a more useful tool, and will look for prior discussions before starting a new thread. I'm a Markwell wannabe.... I like to see the history of the thinking on a subject before I form my own opinion. I'd rather see old threads bumped up to the top than to have opinions scattered amongst multiple threads.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

I have an etrex Vista, and it lets me have 10 digit names,,, altthough i have to shorten them and be creative. I see how a main numbering system would be nice,,, BUT ,,, I dont like naming things with numbers, i cant tell what they are without looking them up.

I recomend u do what I do: format all your cache names as such: C-VALFAL , C-RIVER , C-PARK2, etc.

That way you can keep all your caches together when viewd in alphibetical order,, and know what the waypoint is by the "C"

I do the same for benchmarks. ::: B-JX1800, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by jtice:

I recomend u do what I do: format all your cache names as such: C-VALFAL , C-RIVER , C-PARK2, etc.

Sounds like a good job for a computer. GPSBabel can automatically give your waypoints sensible names based on the unit it's talking to. It knows how to preserve trailing digits, drop vowels, and so on to make somthing that's readable, but still guaranteed to be unique.

I do believe that Spinner and Watcher have similar facilities, but I don't know if they allow direct upload to your receiver...