Mapblast - Alternatives?

Guest jeremy

I just discovered that the link to Mapblast no longer works. As a result I'm looking for alternatives. Mapblast requires you to register now before using their system.

The question is, what are good alternatives to Mapblast? Preferably an international mapping system, but country specific would do. I can certainly put together a map link setup country specific.

Feel free to post links here. I can pass the coordinates in just about any format a site would need. And I'm looking for sites I can directly link to the map page with. Mapquest does not allow this.

Thanks!

Jeremy

I spoke too soon. It's still free. Once you register it operates as normal. They must use a cookie to remember you so you don't have to register. As long as you don't check any of their services you *shouldn't* be spammed... But you know how that goes.

Jeremy

Guest TeamCNJC

Jeremy,

Have you tried Mapblast.com? (Actually, I meant to say mapquest.com. Thanks, 19th!) Maps.yahoo.com? -Craig

[This message has been edited by TeamCNJC (edited 12 October 2001).]

Guest The 19th

I think Jeremy was mentioning that Mapblast.com requires that you now login before you can view their maps, Craig. (lol, I type out of habit too)

Linking to Mapblast in it's new form may be confusing to some new geocachers. They click on a link to a map, then it brings them to an external site that's asking for another login/password. All the while wondering what was wrong with the login they just created at geocaching.com.

Doing a quick search on Google, I found maps.excite.com, which conveniently states "Powered by Mapblast", and has the same data fields (click on advanced and you can input lat/lon). No registration required.

I entered the coords for a local cache, and it shows the same results as Mapblast, just a different layout.

Here's the format of the URL they use over at maps.excite.com. BTW, this is for the Santa Cruz Geocache Turkey Bash map,

http://maps.excite.com/address_res ults/?a=&csz=&adv=1&cn=&acode=&prefix=&lat=37.04115&lon=-122.0692&landmark=&newCat=0&cat=Banks%2FATMs&brp=

------------------

Lawrence Rillera

Elk Grove, CA

[This message has been edited by The 19th (edited 12 October 2001).]

quote:
Originally posted by The 19th:

Doing a quick search on Google, I found maps.excite.com, which conveniently states "Powered by Mapblast", and has the same data fields (click on advanced and you can input lat/lon). No registration required.

I checked this out and it seems to work faster than Mapblast's front end. The format looks different but I like the functionality better. Nice Find 19th...

Something to consider Jeremy.

Guest TeamCNJC

Something that may require a bit of work in order to get it functional is the Tiger map data. It is, however, in the public domain, so it shouldn't get 'shut off' to anonymous users like the commercial services. -Craig

The 19th helped me out. Thanks!

mrgigabyte - It's a violation of their agreement to imbed their images onto the page (which is most preferable). Clicking direct is cool but I love the turn by turn directions.

We do use Tiger maps for US only. Unfortunately the game is International.

Jeremy

This is what I did. I registered at mapblast. When I click the link it goes to the sign in page. I sign in. Then I go back to the cache page and I click the mapblast link again and it comes up with the map.

L:K

Guest scooterj

Personally I've always preferred MapQuest over MapBlast. The maps are more current and have more customizable features, and you can search by lat/lon just as you can on MapBlast.

Guest gnbrotz

I like MapBlast because it interfaces well with the TopoGrafix family of products. I can bring their routes right through my waypoint manager and into my GPS with just a few clicks on my part.

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'

My geocaching page

Guest kimbeattie

I prefer MapQuest to MapBlast too. The maps seem to be more detailed and best of all, there is a link to aerial photographs which I find very useful in figuring out where to park, etc.