Time it Took to Reach Your 100th Cache?

Guest web-ling

Guest web-ling

Just curious about how long it has taken people to reach their 100th cache. Just got mine over the weekend. I started on October 5, 2001, and got my 100th on February 8, 2002 - 125 days. How about some of the rest of you?

------------------

Web-ling

www.web-ling.com

Guest mtn-man

He he...

Mine will be one year exactly. Ironically, my first found cache was moved because it was a little too easy ("the original location received more visits than the cookie jar at Christmas time"). It was not being put back very well either. It is now a very difficult 5/4 cache. I am going to take a day off and go find it again on my one-year anniversary. I have been moving slowly to get my found caches up to 99 before I go find that one again. I found number 87 and 88 today. I may be one of the few people that will have an opportunity to have my 100th cache be the same as my first cache, and be able to have a unique find for it each time!!!

River Bluff Cache in GA, found 2-27-2001

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=366

Let's see...first cache found September of 2000 and I've got 78 finds to date. That puts my 100th on or about September of this year (approx 2 years).

I've never approached this sport with a "how fast can I cache" attitude. I prefer the leisurely approach, especially since when I started there weren't a whole lot of caches available. That and I have other interests which take precedence to to geocaching.

Guest MattandLaura

Not much to do in Texas or what? I started on 9-9-01 and have 42 finds 6 hides. Between the kids, work etcc I'm lucky to do 4-5 a month much less 1 a day.

------------------

>

Our first hundred 2/17/01-6/27/01 130 Days

Our second hundred 6/28/01-9/16/01 80 Days

Still working on the next hundred, Christmas and work seemed to get in the way and slow us down!

Jeff

Guest BassoonPilot

Let's see. . . 1st find was 8/29/01, 100th was 11/7/01. That's 71 days. Hey, look at that! Found the 200th on 1/17/02. That's also 71 days.

[This message has been edited by BassoonPilot (edited 14 February 2002).]

Guest Cape Cod Cache

Let's see... been at this for just shy of a year and still around 40+. So September 2003. I stick around for a while after I find a cache, check out the area, not a turn and burn. I have a cache that might take 5 minutes to find, but the view is worth taking in to watch the boats for a while or running out for some take-out and returning. Those are the best on-line logs, or when someone has vacationed here for years and never knew about a place.

BTW, I find 100 'caches' on a good day. I call them lobster pots on my line. So thats about 24,000 in a good year. Eat up!!! ( and not that garbage at Red Lobster either) And plundering them is a federal, state and local felony.

CCC

Guest Lazyboy

Who knows if I'll ever get to 100. I only get a couple of caches a month. I've seen some around here get to 100 in a heartbeat. I enjoy hiding them a lot more than finding them. Takes all kinds to play the game.

Guest Walkin Stick

quote:
Originally posted by Steak N Eggs:

It's hard to get 100 when you dont have 100 in a 100 mile radius.

I agree... That's probably why it took me so long to hit that mark...

1st... July 31, 2001

100th... January 26, 2002

[This message has been edited by Walkin Stick (edited 14 February 2002).]

Guest Walkin Stick

hy it took me so long to hit that mark...

1st... July 31, 2001

100th... January 26, 2002

[This message has been edited by Walkin Stick (edited 14 February 2002).]

Guest web-ling

quote:
Originally posted by MattandLaura:

Not much to do in Texas or what? I started on 9-9-01 and have 42 finds 6 hides. Between the kids, work etcc I'm lucky to do 4-5 a month much less 1 a day.

I do a lot of mine in clusters. I'll get several in a single day, then not do any for a week.

quote:
Originally posted by Steak N Eggs:

It's hard to get 100 when you dont have 100 in a 100 mile radius.

30 since 10/01, but getting there....

That's why my next hundred is going to take a bit longer. We're having to take more "road trips" to find caches.

------------------

Web-ling

www.web-ling.com

Guest Geo Quest

I have 15 finds and two hides in 239 days. I found one in May of 2001 and one in June. Then I was inactive for 6 months and found the last 13 in 2 1/2 months.

------------------

"What's the point of going out, we're just going to end up back here anyway"? --Homer Simpson

Guest kbraband

We're about to celebrate our 1st anniversary of geocaching (Feb. 27 officially), and we just passsed the 100 mark last weekend. So that's about 355 days. Had lots of fun exploring new areas along the way that we never would have seen without this activity.

quote:
Originally posted by makaio:

I've never approached this sport with a "how fast can I cache" attitude. I prefer the leisurely approach, especially since when I started there weren't a whole lot of caches available. That and I have other interests which take precedence to to geocaching.

dadgum straight. As I've said, often, it's not about finding the caches. It's about finding new places. What's the point if you only spend a half hour in that new place?

Of course, sometimes the new place is just a sneeze of a park or a "I Hate I-5" style cache, which are ok but not my idea of a stellar cache. The really, really good ones are in a neat location. You can get beat up along the way, the cache container can suck, etc, etc ...but if it's a great view or a beautiful place ...it's worth it. Always.

The exception to this rule is a cache that's in a boring place but has lots of waypoints behind it, or a puzzle. Think of Fractal's "Contact Cache." icon_smile.gif

------------------

Rocket scientists and brain surgeons alike were heard to say "At least it's not ActiveX programming." --Mr. Bunny's Guide to ActiveX

quote:
Originally posted by makaio:

dadgum straight. As I've said, often, it's not about finding the caches. It's about finding new places. What's the point if you only spend a half hour in that new place?

Of course, sometimes the new place is just a sneeze of a park or a "I Hate I-5" style cache, which are ok but not my idea of a stellar cache. The really, really good ones are in a neat location. You can get beat up along the way, the cache container can suck, etc, etc ...but if it's a great view or a beautiful place ...it's worth it. Always.

The exception to this rule is a cache that's in a boring place but has lots of waypoints behind it, or a puzzle. Think of Fractal's "Contact Cache." icon_smile.gif

------------------

Rocket scientists and brain surgeons alike were heard to say "At least it's not ActiveX programming." --Mr. Bunny's Guide to ActiveX

Guest DHOBBY1

2001 was a very good year for my caching. #1 Lib & Edub?s Faultline (Utah) 06/21/01

#100 Valley of The Stars (Utah) 09/05/01

#200 Amos? Rest (Utah) 10/27/01

#265 Harbor Cache (Utah) 02/10/02

I?m outta here and on to the next.

Guest bunkerdave

Fist cache: Wasteland Stash - 04/26/01

100th Cache: Zeus's Roost - 07/07/2001

200th Cache: Amos' Rest - 10/27/2001

Currently at 250, as of - 02/26/2002

I have to agree with Makaio, however. While there is some fun in caching as hard as you can, there is a whole life time to cache, and a life to live. I am glad I remembered this before it was too late.

Join bunkerdave for his "12-waypoint geocachers anonymous seminar" Coming to a benchmark near you.

------------------

BunkerDave

N 40° 7.081, W 111° 38.851

Guest BassoonPilot

100th cache of 2002 yesterday . . . 275 overall.

I see the 500 cache level has been attained this past weekend, and there was also a new inductee into the 400 cache club.

(Congratulations to CCCooper Agency and Stayfloopy!)

Guest swampie

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Let's see. . . 1st find was 8/29/01, 100th was 11/7/01. That's 71 days. Hey, look at that! Found the 200th on 1/17/02. That's also 71 days.

You need to get out less icon_biggrin.gif

S.

Guest swampie

quote:

You need to get out less icon_biggrin.gif

S.

Guest stayfloopy

quote:

(Congratulations to CCCooper Agency and Stayfloopy!)

Thanks!

#1 4/11/2001

#100 8/25/2001 136 days

#200 11/11/2001 78 days

#300 1/6/2002 56 days

#400 2/23/2002 48 days

Guest BassoonPilot

quote:
Originally posted by stayfloopy:

Thanks!

#1 4/11/2001

#100 8/25/2001 136 days

#200 11/11/2001 78 days

#300 1/6/2002 56 days

#400 2/23/2002 48 days

Floopy, it shouldn't be too difficult for you to snag #500 right around your 1st anniversary. Is that the plan?

Guest stayfloopy

quote:

Floopy, it shouldn't be too difficult for you to snag #500 right around your 1st anniversary. Is that the plan?

Honestly, I hadn't planned on that. Didn't even realize it is nearly my 1-year anniversary until I checked.

But hey, let's see how many 1/1 caches Maryland has. icon_smile.gif (And whether there are any more Central Jersey caches I can pick up at 2am. icon_wink.gif )

Guest stayfloopy

quote:

Honestly, I hadn't planned on that. Didn't even realize it is nearly my 1-year anniversary until I checked.

But hey, let's see how many 1/1 caches Maryland has. icon_smile.gif (And whether there are any more Central Jersey caches I can pick up at 2am. icon_wink.gif )

First cache on 9/1/2001 (The Mexican)

100th on 11/3/2001 (Inspiration Point) - 64 days.

200th on 12/1/2001 (Round Springs)- 92 days after my first.

300th on 1/26/2002 (Bell Mountain Wilderness) - 148 days after my first

400th on 2/17/2002 (I Couldn't Resist) - 170 days after my first.

I guess I averaged 2.35 caches a day over that time.

Bruce

[This message has been edited by bruces (edited 27 February 2002).]

Guest BassoonPilot

quote:
Originally posted by bruces:

Congratulations Bruce, that's most impressive! You probably had a few "big" days during that time. What were your biggest or most memorable days?

quote:
Originally posted by bruces:

I guess I averaged 2.35 caches a day over that time.

Bruce

[This message has been edited by bruces (edited 27 February 2002).]

Geez...don't you have a job??

Yes I have a job and a family. I travel almost every week for work and usually only get to go geocaching on weekends (with the exception of finding a few where I have traveled to during the week). I have put over 11,000 miles on my Jeep geocaching. I seldom go out geocaching on a weekend day with an intent of finding less that 10 (sometimes I don't achieve that goal but always expect it). I usually start in the dark and end in the dark.

My highest day was 27 finds and 1 no find on 2/16 and my next highest was 26 finds and 1 no find on 2/17. Over that 4 day weekend I found 82 (starting at noon Friday and ending at noon Monday).

When I started geocaching on 9/1 I had just come off walking with crutches from seriously breaking my leg while on a bicycle tour (I have a metal rod in my leg from my knee to my ankle). My longest hike while geocaching was 11 miles for 1 find and 1 no find.

Most exhilerating day of caching would probably be the day of my 100th find. Inspiration point is narrow point that sticks out from the bluff with 250 ft drops. Heights are not my thing so I crawled out on it. I followed up this cache with LaRue Swamp, where after seaching for 45 minutes and almost giving up when I almost stepped on a water moccasin. After landing from my jump I realized I was in the middle of 3 of them. A cache guarded by serpents will get a purple frowy face from me everytime. (The cache as been since been moved and I have gone back and found it)

I currently have my next 3 major caching trips already mapped out, now if only the weather would cooperate.

Bruce

My highest day was 27 finds and 1 no find on 2/16 and my next highest was 26 finds and 1 no find on 2/17.

Bruce

Man it must be nice! Theres not enough caches around here to hit 27 in a week! I think total for the state is like 280.

Congrats & Rock on bro...

Guest bruces

I was about 250 miles away from my home when I found 27 in a day. There are currently 320 caches listed for my state. But within 100 miles of me there are fewer than 20 that I have not found yet. If there aren't enough caches where you live get in your car and drive.

Bruce

Guest mtn-man

I guess it is official now for me...

100 caches in exactly one year. As I said above, I was able to do the very first cache I did for my 100th cache. It was moved because it was too easy and was converted to a brain-boggler and a 5/4 cache. It took some time to find it, but it was very cool to find the same cache again and see my original log in the log book. Really awesome and poetic.

River Bluff Cache in GA, found 2-27-2001 and 2-27-2002!!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=366