Leader Board?

Jeepster

This is not a slam/cut/rant on the leader board, so please don't read anything negative it to this post.

Does anyone know what is happening with the leader board right now? I've e-mailed Dan in the past and he's been quick to respond. But, he hasn't answered the last two e-mails over the last two weeks.

When I first started geo-caching, I changed player names and managed to mess up my linkage between the leader board and geocaching.com. Dan very willingly helped straighten out the mixup.

After posting our Easter weekend geocaching trip, I noticed that seventeen of our logs didn't show up on Dan's site. Checked the balance between geocaching.com and the leader board for some of the others I follow (read that envy) in the local area and noticed that some of their logs also don't show up on Dan's site ... Walkin Stick's log for "The Journal" (a 5/5 cache) for instance on the 7th of April.

Any info available? Thanks.

Jeepster

- Road kill on the information highway ...

I noticed the same thing a week back, and e-mailed Dan. Late on a Saturday afternoon, I logged 12 caches in succession on geocaching.com. Only the first 8 were picked up by Dan's site. My guess is, there is so much activity at times that the leaderboard is overloaded or just misses logs as they wiz by.

But eventually, and by apparently superhuman effort, Dan sets things right again. . .

quote:
Originally posted by The Artful Dodger:

but I would love to have a Leaderboard/Statistics page as a permanent part of the Geocaching.com's website.

I agree. Hopefully that data would be more accurate if on Jeremy's site. I never could get Dan's to be real accurate for me. icon_frown.gif

Of course, I think it should be an MOF (Member's Only Feature).

---------------

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

quote:

but I would love to have a Leaderboard/Statistics page as a permanent part of the Geocaching.com's website.

I agree. Hopefully that data would be more accurate if on Jeremy's site. I never could get Dan's to be real accurate for me. icon_frown.gif

Of course, I think it should be an MOF (Member's Only Feature).

---------------

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I will cause even more controversy by suggesting that Jeremy NOT take over the leaderboard. There are some advantages of not having Jeremy control everything.

For example, a few weeks ago someone was looking for a particular cache that had been archived. In addition to archiving it, the owner had edited the cache so it had vastly different coordinates, a different name, and new placed date. Without the waypoint, this cache would have been impossible to find using the search facilities of geocaching.com. I found it by doing a cache name search at the Stats site. Because it is a different database, it serves as an archive of the official website. It is so easy to change things on computers that it is easy to lose some of our shared history. A cache owner could easily delete the logs for a cache, change the name and coordinates, and then archive it. Imagine if this happened to Alluvial Material, the Contact Cache, or Hard As Pi. We would lose something that could not be replaced. I realize that this is not the purpose of the stats site, but is a valuable side effect of its implementation.

On the other hand, I would not mind if Jeremy was a little more giving with his data so that the records could be more accurate.

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by rdw:

I will cause even more controversy by suggesting that Jeremy NOT take over the leaderboard. There are some advantages of not having Jeremy control everything.

I agree with rdw on this, for many of the same reasons his post mentioned. I don't know if the problems at Dan's leaderboard are the result of a lack of information sharing or by a problem in gathering the information, but I appreciate the efforts of all involved.

quote:

It is difficult to program a 'Last Weeks' or 'Last Months' position next to the table?

...just wondering....

I have been thinking about that too and yes, it is difficult.

So that will have to wait for another month or so...

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

It appears to me that Dan has ironed out the problem, and all is well at his board again. (Well, at least _my_ stats match up.]

Thanks, Dan. Well done!

My logs match up again, but my hidden caches don't. Still missing a couple.

25021_1200.gif

Yes, mine also ... well ... not quite ... they almost match up. Looks like his software won't give me credit for the double find on Markwell's Cachiversary 1 ... and after all the trouble it took me to post the picture of the special rock ... darn. You see, I don't have a digital camera yet ... so, it's quite a feat for me to put a Kodak Moment on the internet.

Since each of us can get a listing of the logs used to tally the leader board, I wonder if Dan could set it up so that we could help him keep the stats updated by correcting our own. Set it up so that it would work without his intervention at all. Or would that just create opportunities to mess it up? Oh well ...

Dan, thanks for your hard work ... even though it might not sound like it, I really do appreciate it.

Jeepster

quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster:

Since each of us can get a listing of the logs used to tally the leader board, I wonder if Dan could set it up so that we could help him keep the stats updated by correcting our own. Set it up so that it would work without his intervention at all. Or would that just create opportunities to mess it up?

Should we take odds on how long it would take for the data to become corrupted? I'd place my money on "immediately."

Oh, sure Gustaf. Now how am I going to sneak up on Walkin Stick and rdw with the big arrow pointing out that I've been busy finding caches.

You haven't seen the twinkle in Walkin Stick's eye when he picks up a challenge ... and now you've poked him with a sharp stick. As for rdw, he sneaks around in the middle of the week when nobody's around ... I think he does that so he can follow tracks from the weekend seekers. In fact I heard a rumor he's moving to a more populated area just for the new caches. Honestly, the middle of Illinois is really going to be messed up for awhile thanks to those arrows. Thanks.

Really ... thanks.

Jeepster

Yes! Isn't that great. Finally I'm on a list that doesn't recognize me for something I didn't do or something I did wrong. See, it took someone way across the ocean to recognize my feeble efforts. Gustaf, I bow to your superior wisdom ...

Oh, wait, Walkin Stick, you didn't mean that as a jab did you? See folks, that confirms that Jenni is the more friendly member of their team. If only the buttons on the GPSr were a little bigger and she could drive, I don't think she would take Walkin Stick along on cache hunts. Then at least she wouldn't have to contend with him getting lost ... as it is she leaves paw prints all the way from the car to the cache, so he can find his way back.

Jeepster

Hey guys. Sorry it's taken me awhile to get back to the forums. I also want to apologize for the errors in my data. I know people would say not to worry about it - thanks for the site, etc. but I want to have my site be as accurate as possible.

Anyway - here's the deal. The way my site works is that it grabs the new logs off the recent logs page. It hits that page every hour. But due to the heavy caching (mostly on weekends) and the reduction of the number of logs on that page, on weekends logs that get posted right after my script visits the page get pushed off in less than an hour. Does this make sense?

Anyway, I have a script that will visit all the cache pages which I ran a week or two ago (which is why you saw your totals suddenly get more accurate). But I don't want to run it very often as it puts a load on the gc.com servers which I don't want.

I do want to add a feature that will send my script off to one page that will be user-set off. Like, if you find that my site is missing your log on cache #15894 or whatever - you can go to this page and have my site re-load that cache (which should pick up your log). But I'm not sure when I will be able to add that.

because...

I just bought a new house that I'm trying to fix up so that we can move in by June and I just had a baby son in March, so my time is limited. So, that's the word.

Talk to you later

dan.

regoarrarr

First - on the new baby boy ... congratulations. And you thought you were busy before ... has your life ever changed drastically ...

And, thanks for checking in and explaining what has been going on. Like you, bad data drives me crazy, so I especially appreciate your efforts towards maintaining an accurate site.

And Bassonpilot ... please don't egg Walkin Stick on ... he's hard enough to keep up with as it is.

Jeepster

quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster:

And Bassonpilot ... please don't egg Walkin Stick on ... he's hard enough to keep up with as it is.

I don't know. I checked Walkin Stick's logs, and he seems to cache at a leisurely pace. Happy to see he takes the time to enjoy the surroundings. That's the best part!

I have been to both sites in the past/present and I will go again in the future.

I like Dans site (not trying to start anything, truely I am not...I am only posting an opionion)

due to the fact that I feel a placement is a find. You placed it, you found it.

Now don't get me wrong I will send BIG "kudo's" to Gustaf for the work he has done. You got more free time than I do, I spend my time Geocaching icon_biggrin.gif

Cache in - Trash OUT!

I have been to both sites in the past/present and I will go again in the future.

I like Dans site (not trying to start anything, truely I am not...I am only posting an opionion)

due to the fact that I feel a placement is a find. You placed it, you found it.

Now don't get me wrong I will send BIG "kudo's" to Gustaf for the work he has done. You got more free time than I do, I spend my time Geocaching icon_biggrin.gif

Cache in - Trash OUT!