GPSRs-Follow the money?

Guest raygun_88

Guest raygun_88

A scientist by training and recalling Jack Nicholson's advice about following the money, I thought I'd do a quick and dirty search on the locations and financial status of a few handheld GPSR manufacturers:

Garmin's headquarters is located on Grand Cayman Island (trading around 21 on NASDAQ).

Magellan is owned by Thales Navigation, a part of Thalesgroup, and traded in the Paris stock exchange.

Lowrance, the folks who make fish-finders are in the GPSR market, are from Tulsa, Oklahoma (trading around 2.70 on NASDAQ).

Trimble, with a few handheld models are from Sunnyvale, CA (around 19 on NASDAQ-but about 3 times the volume of Garmin).

Obviously these folks manufacture lots more than little receivers, but I wondered what sort of impact the exponential growth of a new sport might have on their stock.

Guest db8tr

quote:
Originally posted by raygun_88:

Garmin's headquarters is located on Grand Cayman Island (trading around 21 on NASDAQ).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Garmin headquarters was in Olathe, Kansas USA. At least that is the location that is imprinted on the back of my III+ and was the location of the "GARMIN" wyapoint factory programmed into the handheld when I bought it.

Guest xanthari

Trimble makes some of the best GPS surveying equipment...they have only recently begun making handheld "fun" units. They have survey units that are accurate to a few centimeters. That would be great for geocaching if you dont mind lugging it around and spending about $20,000.00 or so.

They also make traditional survey equipment along with some special geodetic survey instruments.

I hope they start making more handheld units, I would really like to compare one to my Magellen.

Guest kbraband

quote:
Originally posted by raygun_88:

Obviously these folks manufacture lots more than little receivers, but I wondered what sort of impact the exponential growth of a new sport might have on their stock.

I've owned stock in Garmin since the first of this year. During that time it's gone up nicely from about $18 to as high as $25. It's now about $22. I'm holding it for the long haul, because I believe there's going to be lots of growth in existing and new GPS applications. But don't rely on my advice -- do your own research, of course.

Guest McIrish

quote:
Originally posted by xanthari:

Trimble makes some of the best GPS surveying equipment...they have only recently begun making handheld "fun" units. They have survey units that are accurate to a few centimeters. That would be great for geocaching if you dont mind lugging it around and spending about $20,000.00 or so.

They also make traditional survey equipment along with some special geodetic survey instruments.

I hope they start making more handheld units, I would really like to compare one to my Magellen.

If it helps me find caches I will mortgage my house! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest McIrish

quote:
Originally posted by xanthari:

If it helps me find caches I will mortgage my house! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest rebobbitt

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

They registered their company in Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands (PO Box). It's most likely a strategic way of doing things.

http://biz.yahoo.com/p/g/grmn.html

I think it's a tax avoidance thing, saying you are not a US company.

Their HQ is in Olathe KS, the founders Min Kao and Gary Burrell were at Allied Signal Bendix/King working on small airplane Loran navigational systems, and founded Garmin (Gar + Min) in 1989 (Originally called ProNav). Min hired me out of college, and I worked for him for two years at Bendix/King.

All manufacturing is done is Taiwan (which

is why the units say "Made in Taiwan".

[This message has been edited by rebobbitt (edited 25 July 2001).]