Am I cursed with travel bugs???

I'm not talking about not being able to find them. I'm talking about travel bugs mysteriously disapearing before or after I have visted a cache. My first cache,The Marl Lake Cache , The Dynamo Dino is missing before I got there. Luckily the Pilgrim was still there. These other caches, Eye of the Triangle and The Eureka Hunting Club Cache were missing. I own the Eureka Hunting Cache, I visted it the day before Ladybug & Cricket said it was missing! I know this is only three, but these are the only travel bugs I have found or been near by. I fear for all Travel Bugs all over!!! icon_frown.gif

P.S. I did not steal these bugs, that is not the reason they are missing....thank yo. icon_biggrin.gif

Fathers and Sisters I have none but this man's father is none other than me, Tony De Angelo. I know, it doesn't make any sense!

It strikes me that some people take TB's without realising what they are.

They could be newbies, who've never encountered TB's before, or it could be cachers from other websites, who wouldn't have seen TB's.

I don't think TB's disappear through theft... but I think that either the tags need to be more clear about what they are, or more accurate information about them needs to be attached to the chain (in a manner akin to the letter left in caches).

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253

Once you take a TB from a cache, you have 14 days of website access. On day 15, if you haven't already logged it as placed elsewhere, the only thing that comes up on this site is the TB location page and insipid Yani music. No access to any other part of the site until you have fulfilled your obligation to the TB owner, and the music gets worse every 12 hours. Pretty soon, you are listening to pan flute music, and begging for a merciful end to your suffering. Just a thought...

I am also a frequent TB misser. I have the other problem of having caches listed as having one, but the TB has been gone for weeks. No real way to get rid of the TB desgination.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

A cruelly efficient proposal

Once you take a TB from a cache, you have 14 days of website access. On day 15, if you haven't already logged it as placed elsewhere, the only thing that comes up on this site is the TB location page and insipid Yani music.

I imagine you're just kidding, but just in case you weren't...I'm thinking that if something like this were incorporated, it would encourage more people to NOT log their travel bug find when they first pick up a bug, but instead just hold onto it anonymously until after they've dropped it off again...and then log the retrevial and placement at the same time. This would cause a huge increase in the frequency of cache pages showing phantom travel bug links.

Or maybe you were suggesting that there would be a little microchip inside each TB tag that would communicate with our GPSrs (which would be serialized and linked with our Geocaching accounts), and transmit a message back to the geocaching site that the bug is now in a particular person's possession, thus activating the appropriate lockouts on the site? icon_wink.gif

Maybe it would be simpler to just put a chip in each TB tag that continuously transmits its position, so that we can always take a look, and see EXACTLY where it is at any given moment...and when a finder doesn't place it again within a reasonable amount of time, we could track them down and *literally* 'grab' the bug back. icon_biggrin.gif Plus, the See a map of this bug's travels page would look pretty cool, too.

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

the only thing that comes up on this site is the TB location page and insipid Yani music. No access to any other part of the site until you have fulfilled your obligation to the TB owner, and the music gets worse every 12 hours. Pretty soon, you are listening to pan flute music, and begging for a merciful end to your suffering.

Will THIS do instead? realplayer required

Illegitimus non carborundum!