Cd's, Mp3's and files in caches?

I wouldn't mind someone putting music or software in, but I'd never take a disk from a cache. There's no way I'd ever put a floppy in my computer that has been in a dirty, dusty, container sitting in the wilderness. Even if I assume the person that left the disk did a good job of keeping a virus off the software, the potential for hardware damage is too high. Disk drive heads can be very sensitive to grit on a disk.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those that can count, and those that cannot.

We just created a CD cache. I agree with BrianSnat, as long as it's not pirated, I'm ok with it. We put a note on our cache page that says something like, "Must be original, no burned or homemade CDs."

As far as the dust/dirt/grime/grit goes, that's the beauty of a CD: just wash it off, let it dry completely, and you're good to go. Of course, I'd also check for any major scratches before I popped it in my player...

I believe it's of personal preference. Personally we wouldn't do it. You never know is on it or if it will harm your system or not. I know those that really anti adult caches, will not want to get a disc and put in their computer and their screen fill with all kind of such things. If you do it and have kids, i would definitely not put it in the computer with them around. Just as you really don't want them going and opening a cache and find something in they shouldn't be seeing.

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

http://www.woodsters.com

I have placed a few very gently used (almost new) ZIP disks in some caches. And I have 10 or 12 more to put out. I re-format them and them put them in a freezer grade ZIP-lock (no pun intended) for the finder. And now, I will only put them in ammo cans. I no longer use ZIPS, as I typically use a CD or DVD for backups. But they are (read: were) fairly expensive items once, and I hope someone can use them. Seems a waste for me to keep them or to throw them away.

I will not leave or take stolen property.

My signature item is a burned CD slideshow/screensaver with pics of Maine I have taken over the years. All legal, but it does seem some might not pick them up for fear of viruses or some other file they might not like to see. What I wonder is how many of these people will take/leave food in a cache and think nothing of it.

It's a lot easier to scan a CD for viruses than it is to tell if food in a cache is tainted in some way.

As far as the main topic, As long as the CD is clearly marked as to what's on it, and it does not contain illegal files, I see no problem with it.

Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my God....I could be eating a slow learner.

I have made a few CD's that will have a nice label on them, once I figure out what I want, of stories from the SF publishing company Baen.

They sell their stories online, and you can give away, loan, or produce CD's with this material (Basically SF stories in many "E-Book" formats, suitable for PC, Mac, & handheld.). This legal liberty is clearly posted on their website www.baen.com. They figure most folks will read the file, and want a "dead tree" copy of the book after that, and don't see it as piracy, but free advertising.

Matter of fact, I am using two CD's GIVEN away with two first editions they have sold with over 200 stories on each of them as file source. (so it is said, I haven't counted.)

As for the rest, run the CD through the dishwasher, scan it at an online virus scan such as provided by McAfee, Symantec, or TrendMicro, and see if you like tales of far off skies.

Or not. TNLN is always socially acceptable.

They say this universe is bound to blow,

I say we crank up the Calypso Control!

~Jimmy Buffett

~Someday I Will~

hmmm I like brdad's idea. Even though we wouldn't normally take something like a computer disc with us, if it were perhaps saved in the format that will work in a DVD player. My brother in law made one up of a bunch of photos from my family for my dads retirement. I like photography so this kind of interests me now. What a great signature item.

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

http://www.woodsters.com

quote:
Originally posted by Gaddiel & OrangeDanish:

We just created a CD cache. I agree with BrianSnat, as long as it's not pirated, I'm ok with it. We put a note on our cache page that says something like, "Must be original, no burned or homemade CDs."

As far as the dust/dirt/grime/grit goes, that's the beauty of a CD: just wash it off, let it dry completely, and you're good to go. Of course, I'd also check for any major scratches before I popped it in my player...

Why? Nothing physically touches the CD except for the motor's drive hub and the plastic hub clamp -- neither of which are precision pieces of equipment. A scratch, even a BIG one, won't hurt a thing.

"I drank WHAT?!?" -- Socrates

Okay, here's a borderline question. I borrowed the county plat book from the library and scanned all of the maps. Technically, the information is a matter of public record, but the presentation is copyrighted, so I probably won't do anything beyond what I've already done with it, but if I did, do y'all think there'd be a huge hue and cry about my putting them all on CD and dropping them in caches?

pirate.cgi.gif

Go ahead, steal away. I can't imagine I'm the first anyway. Just sneak that approval through now, ok?

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

Screensaver... boy, that is a great idea brdad. I have screensaver production software (yes, bought and paid for) and would like to do that too. Would you mind if I rip-off your idea? Very cool, brdad, very cool. I can see a screensaver based on our http://www.cafeshops.com/_gga.4703649!

Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my God....I could be eating a slow learner.

quote:
Originally posted by brdad:

Go ahead, steal away. I can't imagine I'm the first anyway. Just sneak that approval through now, ok? <snip>

_Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my God....I could be eating a slow learner._

LOL....I really don't have a comment on the specific topic, but your signature is a classic! Bloody brilliant!

icon_biggrin.gif

P

carpe cerevisi

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

Since my kids are "big" now, and they don't play the jump start or freddie fish etc games, I have started to carry them around in the backpack to put in Caches. These were pretty expensive games, and little cachers would enjoy them. Since they were bought sealed I don't see how they could have a virus on them.I always put them in Ziplocs too.

I also put some cd's like a Nascar race game, a Jumpstart Spy kids kind of game, a baseball CD, all of which I have gotten as a "gift" from everything from hair places to cereal. Never used and like new, just not into Nascar.

i've been tinkering with the thought as well of starting a cache with music in it, but everything i was going to put in in burned music, things that i may not listen to anymore, since cd burners i have burned my cds to keep the originals put away and keep the burned copies in the car, so if they are stolen etc.. so back to my point.. as long as i'm not selling these im not doing anything more than puting music out there that people might enjoy something they never thought they would. after seeing the poll, 59% of people cool with anything i may continue with the idea as well