Have you hidden a cache yet?

Buckrun

It kind of ticks me off when I read someone’s Profile page and see they have found a lot of caches. Then you see they have hidden 0 . I have been a member for only a little over a month and have hidden 4. I thought it would be nice to return the favor to the people who have hidden caches. So each weekend I go out caching I try to hide a new cache. I don’t know any of the people in my area that hide caches but I would think they would like some caches to find. So far with all the bad weather here in Ohio the caches I have hidden have been easy ones. Close to a parking spot. That will change as the weather improves. So if you are one of these people who haven’t hidden a cache try it. It is fun watching when people find your cache.

Buckrun

Reasons I haven't hidden a geocache yet:

1) Weather in the area does not encourage spending the time necessary to do the job right.

2) I want to get enough experience under my belt to feel comfortable that I've planted an entertaining cache.

I would rather see a few high-quality caches than a lot of caches where the hider gave it very little thought.

-- Its from aliens. I seen um. --

[This message was edited by eahousley on February 17, 2003 at 02:14 PM.]

That's the big one for me. I wanted to wait until I felt I had found enough and read enough here to know what makes for a good cache and what makes a bad cache. That way I can HOPEFULLy avoid some other's mistakes and place a quality cache. I was planning on checking out a location today, but with the storm, there's almost 2 feet of snow on the alley where my car's parked, and I live in the middle of the block. Hopefully it'll get plowed sometime today, preferably BEFORE dark...

I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should happen to get back before I return, please ask me to wait.

Everyone likes different aspects of geocaching. Some just enjoy the hunt, some love the hide, and some enjoy both.

Hiding a cache takes time to plan and maintain. While one could just dump another 1/1 cache next to a parking spot, many would rather just leave the hiding to others.

I, for one, am glad that tons of caches don't pop-up like weeds near my search area. I have a hard enough time just trying to find the ones that already exist. Eventually I'll get in on hiding caches, but for now I'm content being the searcher. Lighten up, we're all just trying to have a little fun.

--CoronaKid

While I concur that Quality in better than Quanity, I can understand the feelings expressed about someone with a HIGH found/hid ratio.

But I beleive that this is one area where the numbers don't help a situation.

Since I am fairly new to this, I would not want to speak for anyone else. BUT I think one needs to get some experience in finding, before one starts to hide.

Right now I am gathering the stuff for my first hide. But I am thinking of obtaining the assistance of an experienced veteran in placing it. That way it's not found by just anyone who happens by.

I Hope to also increase the number of caches in my stomping grounds, which only have 1/2 dozen to a dozen right now, and I've found 3 of them.

There is nothing like a Packrat who is a geocacher.

What they said! icon_smile.gif

I have hidden three in my area, but then again that is easy since there was only two on this island in the first place. Now they are springing up pretty good. We only have a few geocachers here, and when one goes in they are usually found within the week by everyone. Heck, yesterday we all ended up at the newest cache within 20 minutes...and it was a long hike in!

I personnaly think those with high finds against zero placed could use their knowledge and place some for those who have been placing in the first place to find. I imagine this will happen after the weather changes in the states...yea...right. icon_wink.gif

Erawan

I have a number of thoughts related to this thread.

In my opinion, there are enough cachers in most urban areas that it makes little difference if some cachers don't hide.

Some people don't enjoy the 'hiding' aspect of the game. Why should they be forced to do something they do not enjoy and therefore will likely not put the effort into to do a good job.

Some people are simply not willing to make the commitment to hide quality caches and then do the required maintenance. We've all seen very lame physical caches, easy 'historical marker' virts, and lame physical caches turned into virts when they disappear. Do we need any more of these?

Be careful when considering a find/hide ratio. This theory is unrealistic. As one finds more and more caches, there is no way to maintain a continually increasing number of hides.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

I have a container ready to go and have had for quite some time. I feel it will be a quality cache as I have found about seven so far and now I know what container works good and which ones don't, and I feel I have a grasp on what is "lame" and what is "cool" (albeit MY opinion!) icon_rolleyes.gif

I am simply waiting on permission from the landmanager before I place it. I had to educate them about geocaching as they had never heard of it. I felt this area would be a good place because lots of people already come there with their families and it has many good hiding places.

It will be the first in my county (I think) and I wanted to do it right.

Wish I could hide one for every one I find!! icon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gif.

[This message was edited by Pudman&Pookie2 on February 17, 2003 at 02:02 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Buckrun:

It kind of ticks me off when I read someone’s Profile page and see they have found a lot of caches. Then you see they have hidden 0 . I have been a member for only a little over a month and have hidden 4.

See, I get ticked off about the exact opposite. Seeing someone with two, one, sometimes zero finds out hiding caches. How can you hide a quality cache if you don't know what a quality cache looks like? I would MUCH rather see someone go out and find a bunch of caches before hiding them.

One thing you do need to be careful of (and I have been guilty of it myself at times), the numbers don't always show the full story. Some people hide caches under a different account then they log finds under. One example of this might be a team of cachers that hide together, but like to keep their individual accounts for finds. Since you can only attach a find to one account, anytime more then one cacher gets together to hide a cache, only one gets the credit. There are some caches like this in my case. Even though my name shows as a hider on the cache page, it doesn't count as a hide because we didn't use my account to submit the cache.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

My OT thoughts on the subject is, if you don't hide something you don't get any experience hidding anything.

I say find a decent spot--not perfect, not even great--and hide a small cache. Nothing fancy, just a few non-junky items in a decent waterproof box.

Then, learn from that. You'll start finding out what works and what doesn't in a way that looking for them can't. Soon you'll be able to hide good caches no problem.

Stop looking to place the perfect cache and just place one. Then another, and another.

For me, now that I've placed only a measely 10, I'm seeing more and more places to hide them in more and more creative ways. I've got about 20 planned, finding the time for preperation is my problem.

CR

72057_2000.gif

I did exactly what you said CR. I just placed my first cache yesterday. I'm using it as a learning experience. I hope to get constructive criticism from fellow geocachers. I don't mind that, I just hope I don't get slammed.

I understand the view point of not wanting to hide them either. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. To each their own. icon_smile.gif

Live Long and Geocache!

Well I was talking about people that I have seen with 77/0 and the like. Not beginners just starting out. I was turned on to this game by a 82 year old man. I don’t think he or a lot of other people are interested in the “high-quality” hard to find caches. They just want to get out of the house and go for a walk. Yes my “1/1 cache next to a parking spot “ is an easy find. but in the type of weather we are having a 1/1 may get you off your butt and out side. I live in the Lima Ohio area. Check and see how many caches are with in 30 miles of Lima. You have to remember to go to a cache that is 30 miles away you will have to drive probably 45 to 50 miles to get to it then turn around and go home. I have a 14/4 rating now and will have to drive quite a ways to add to my finds.

I would think someone with 20 or 30 finds could manage to hide a cache or two. I certainly wouldn’t want to make any kind of mandatory find/hide ratio. I just think it is a little selfish hunting caches and not hiding one now and then for the people who have been hiding them to find.

Buckrun

I think it's a matter of personal preference. If someone enjoys finding caches, but doesn't want the responsibility of owning a cache, that's his business. I'm not going to quarrel with him. I enjoy hiding as much and maybe more than finding. That's my preference and I'd hate to have anyone out me down because of that.

There are a lot of geocachers out there and some like to hide and some don't. I think it evens out.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

Some prefer to plant them, while some prefer to hide them, and some do both. I've been involved with 30 plants and 1 adoption. Of the 30, 15 are virtuals, 5 are traditional and 4 of them are level 4 or higher, and 5 are Cache Events.

One of the toughest caches I've done was from a Cacher who has only planted 1 cache. So much for having to have a few under your belt, and this cache has stumped a lot of experienced cachers.

I think it is harder to plant a good one, than find one. One cache I hid required 3 trips of 70 miles round trip, plus map work and then I had to write it up, and convey the message correctly the

Cache is known as Puma's Red Ribbon Overlook.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=43977

And I only get 1 point for all my troubles, while a seeker would get 3 caches for his credit because it is linked to two other caches. So with all the work involved in planting a good one its easy to see why some would rather just seek!

Tahosa - Dweller of the Mountain Tops.

I hid Spiderman's Hideout on January 19 of this year and made it quite clear, that most

importantly is the find. We made this decision because I have alot of other caches that I maintain and this one is all about the signature and not trade items. It can be hard work sometimes to keep up on your caches and some members might not want that responsibility.

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

I've cleared the better part of the first several pages near my house. Now, almost every trip is over an hour of driving to find something. Once you run out of caches to find in your home area, you appreciate almost anything to find!

If it is a poor hide, let the logs reflect it so the picky people can see if they want to pass it up. Personally, in over 300 finds, I don't recall any poor hides. A lot of virtuals were so-so but if I have to hike a bit and search for something, I like it.

I did go to the stats page and did a little find to hide ratio spreadsheet. I think some people should look at what they have enjoyed from the hobby and consider giving back. Even if they don't like to hide, and I can understand that, they could buy an ammo box, make a cache and offer it to someone who likes to hide them.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

We are looking forward to placing our first cache. We just felt that we needed to get a feel for the hobby before possibly putting out an inferior cache. A cache is a reflection on yourself and we wanted to make it a good one.

All the caches we've located so far have been quite enjoyable and taken us places we haven't been before now. We would like to place a cache that would have them same effect on others.

"Reputation is what men and women think of us; character is what God and angels know of us" - Thomas Paine

compass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by eahousley:

I would rather see a few high-quality caches than a lot of caches where the hider gave it very little thought.

-- Its from aliens. I seen um. --

[This message was edited by eahousley on February 17, 2003 at 02:14 PM.]

That's a nice idea but what happens when you've found the 'few' quality caches. Pick a new hobby?

Someone has to hide them, no hides.. no geocaching.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

I say find a decent spot--not perfect, not even great--and hide a small cache. Nothing fancy, just a few non-junky items in a decent waterproof box.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/72057_2000.gif

That's about all it takes. It's not like I'm looking for something out of an Ansel Adams photo.

One more thing... stop hiding them in Ivy. Unless you have a very good clue you end up trampling the entire area to find a little box.

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Buckrun:

It kind of ticks me off when I read someone’s Profile page and see they have found a lot of caches. Then you see they have hidden 0 . I have been a member for only a little over a month and have hidden 4. Buckrun

Okay, it's a little too early in your GeoCaching career to be "ticked off" about anything yet, sheesh. If you're already this wound up this early on, how are you going to be in a year when you REALLY have a good reason to be ticked off about something... wow, what a fireworks show that is going to be....LOL.

Just one small bit of unsolicited advice, just relax, and enjoy GeoCaching for it's own sake, and don't worry about what other people are doing. Have fun, that's the point of our little activity/sport.

Now go forth and hunt/hide to your little hearts content.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

I am just thankful that so many people seem to enjoy hiding really good caches (in my area anyways). Why would anybody be bothered if someone just finds them ? In fact just finding alone is helpful - each logged find gives an up to date status report that the cache is still there!

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

quoted by Buckrun

------------------------------

Well I was talking about people that I have seen with 77/0 and the like.

------------------------------

Hmmmmm!!!

I just hit 77/0 today. I don't plan on placing any caches real soon as there are already approx. 750 within 100 miles. All my finds are since Xmas and almost all within 20 miles. Many are challenging and require a bit of excercise - some physical, some mental, some both.

Some are quite unenjoyable ( I hesitate to say bad ) - some will say that no cache is unenjoyable(bad). Some are literally within feet of others. Some you can almost log without gettin out of your car. This is good for some - I know - and everyone has a different reason for enjoying Geocaching.

I started a thread a few days ago - yes I know it was done last fall - asking how many caches within 100 miles. In most major metro area the totals are 500 to 1500 or more within 100 miles.

Many responded that since last September their count had nearly doubled in some cases. Easy to see why the website and the approvers are overrun at times.

I still consider myself a newbie. Perhaps Someday I'll place a cache. Personally I think your should be doing this for - lets just pick 6 months - before being allowed to hide a cache. Some get caught up in the 'newness' of it all and go crazy hiding caches only to seemingly abandon the sport/hobby after awhile. If i'm still active with this a few months from now I'll feel I'm sticking around for awhile.

Several in this area need maintenance but 'owner' not responding(I know there is some procedure to take a cache over). I know there are many reasons why a cache might be abandoned.

I've found other caches needing maintenance i've noticed are by the same person hiding new caches very near by. The cache ends up archived while more caches keep coming. Whats the point?

Oh Well! 77/0 and not adding to the abundance of caches in my area any time real soon(but will eventually) without a good reason. Those of you in an area NEEDING more - go for it.

Marty/maleki

We wanted to get "the hang of it" before we hid our first cache. We have a few ideas in mind, but as there are almost 900 caches within 100 radius I don't think anyone is sitting around waiting for us just yet icon_wink.gif

If some folks simply don't want to hide them, they shouldn't feel pressured IMHO. I'd much prefer a cache owner who will take responsibility, check up on it, verify that it still exists, etc.

I'm sure there are lots of people who try geocaching for a few weeks and then the GPS starts gathering dust...let's hope they don't run out and place a cache that they won't maintain in the meantime.

The last 2 posters bring up a good point. With 1500 caches within 100 miles of me, it gets harder and harder to place a quality cache. One of the things I like most about geocaching is finding all these great places I never knew existed. While I'm not saying there should be any type of "one park, one cache" rule, I personally would prefer to find a unique location for a cache. While it will NEVER be impossible, it does get harder as the sport progresses.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by sbukosky:

I think some people should look at what they have enjoyed from the hobby and consider giving back.

I think you hit it right on the head, and I suspect this is really what Buckrun was getting at.

There are many ways of giving back, hiding caches is just one.

My my. My 12-year old daughter knew what to put in a cache box, and good places to hide after her first 10 finds. icon_wink.gif Is it really that confusing a concept? icon_wink.gif Is it really that tough, and needing of "experience?" Or tell me, do I have a genius in the making? icon_biggrin.gif

It would be a selfish sport indeed if all we had was "takers." That, or maybe people should start offering up "membership fees" to those who make the sport possible, to wit: Those that hide the caches that cost money for others who "only enjoy seeking."

Experience? Someone with 25+ finds definitely has "experience" in knowing what makes a good cache, vs. what makes a bad cache. Funny, if there were a way to limit the logs to 25 finds per 1 hide, people would "all of a sudden have that 'lacking' experience" real quick. icon_wink.gif Just a side bet. icon_biggrin.gif

Don't like the "drive and toss" caches? If ya know enough about 'em to complain, then you certainly should have the t-fortitude to know enough about 'em to hide them properly.

Beat me up, call me names, do whatever. It's easy to see that opinions are not easily welcomed around here if they go against the "round table." It's just my opinion that "lack of experience" from someone with 25+ finds is a cop-out. Too many caches in your area? That's understandable. Then what a wonderful idea to email the people investing all the dough in hiding what you consider a "good" cache and offering them "financial support in order to 'give back' via a 'small donation'" since folks here are so big on being generous with donations to those that make the "hobby possible for them to enjoy." icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Hey, check out Bullseye. A lot of fun for a lot of people. Hiding spot chosen by 10-year old Paige and 12-year old Krissy. Even has a bit of a puzzle to it. Around 20 finds as a team at the time. No hideous "risk of inexperienced failure" on this team's part. icon_wink.gif More a desire to "give back" because we knew that if people don't hide, then people can't find. It's a shame when people who have hidden so many caches locally have to travel 100+ miles to enjoy the sport themelves because their neighbors "only prefer the 'finding' aspect" of the game.

This is clearly a give and take sport... You can't have one without the other. Nobody is expecting anybody to "lack experience" after they've found 25 or so caches. Apply what you've found to make the game so "exciting" and "dear to your heart" to make the same possible for others. It's selfish to expect others to "make your fun possible."

This is a good topic, and the opinions expressed above are just that: Opinions. I served my country to protect the rights of my opinions as well - not just those who burn flags or disagree with me and think their's is the "right" opinion. But think: If everybody eats the bread, but nobody bakes the bread... how soon will you starve? Unless of course, there are hiders who don't mind dumping hundreds a year into caches for the indulgence of people who don't give back - or those that have all the experience in "finding" but can't translate said experience into hiding.

Now, let me feel the wrath of those with louder voices, because surely I must be "wrong." Uh, keep in mind, I don't appreciate those that have the experience to "only find" my caches. I do expect them to place something, somewhere for my kids to find. I'm not in this "sport" solely as a 'hider' and I'd feel like a total shmuck if all I did was run around and utilize the hiding dedication of others under the guise of "I'm too inexperienced to hide one myself" mantra.

C'mon. Don't be too challenged by what is one of the simplest children's games around - hide'n'seek. Gee, can I use that line on my kids? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif "Sorry, gang, but dad doesn't have the "experience" to hide an easter basket, or easter eggs. I'm too afraid I might hide 'em under a pile of dog poop, or in the garbage can, or in the lawnmower bag, or....."

As a hider, with only a few month's experience myself - I'm not afraid to tell ya: "I want something back out of this hobby. I'm NOT in it to just provide for you." Figure out your own demographics. If your neighbors only place micros - then that's what you owe 'em. But if you're out finding the toys that my kids left for yours - have some decency and hide some toys for my kids. If you want to venture into the hills to find some cool stuff in ammo cans? Then make it possible for those people to do the same.

Ok. I'm done. I had to say it all in one long post, because that's all I have to say - and I don't want to get involved in a frothing-mad argument match with the round-table. icon_biggrin.gif

So even as the "gang" jumps my arse in a boiling rage - I hope you take something from my own rants, and that is that my kids like to find stuff too. If you're finding "kid caches," then ask your kids for a bit of help... I'm sure they'll be able to connect the dots if any of ya'll are too confused about hiding kiddie caches in kiddie-friendly areas. If you like an ammo can? Then make it possible for that hider to like 'em too. If it's considered vulgar to want something back, then I must be a slothy pig. icon_biggrin.gif But I'd be screwed if we didn't have the excellent cache hiders in the Bay Area who seem to understand what it takes to make the sport enjoyable to ALL. icon_biggrin.gif

Of course, most people here just play the game and don't come in these forums to argue about it all day and night. But every piss deserves a clean seat when done, so let me polish up by saying that the folks in the Q&A forums are wonderful about helping others, and so many of ya'll were so WONDERFUL about helping me when I had "tick" question. I don't mean anyone any harm or anger. I try to answer a question here and there... like that wonderful member Gimpy. Where's he gone, anyway? icon_wink.gif Man, he helped me get my Clie under way to use that wonderful utility Spinner. I always check to see when the next Clie user comes along so I can help 'em configure their Avantgo... All about giving back. icon_smile.gif

If you hide it, they will come.

Grandmaster Cache

Tank at: FISH WHISPERER'S LAGOON

[This message was edited by GRANDMASTER CACHE on February 18, 2003 at 07:21 AM.]

Why are you upset that some of those with high find numbers have not placed caches yet? Although maybe there's not many 'hiders' in your area, why whine? Why not try to recruit some friends to the sport?

In many metro areas that experience snow, I bet it's possible for someone to rack up 100 or so from fall until early spring. But do we really want to be placing a new cache offtrail somewhere in a park during these months, where, come spring, sensitive plants may be damaged by cachers? I know that there's opportunities to place caches at this time that are more urban or are in places where it's obvious stuff won't get trampled, but I hope you visit any caches you may have placed offtrail in the spring to evaluate it's impact on the environment. We have a state park near us that has a wonderful variety of spring flower groth, and I'd hate to place something now, that ends up right in a patch of mayapple or something.

I think I had about 36 caches before I placed 1- I know it's nothing like 77, but I bet I'll have well over 100 before I place something that involves a hike in the woods, and going offtrail. The place a cache is in dosen't have to be any place special, but I do like to see some thought put into it, and a clever/unique hide. I'm content to spend the winter coming up with ideas for hides that are more interesting than pick-a-spot-and-cover-it-with-bark-and-or-sticks. Luckily, one of those I was able to implement already because I knew for a fact I would not be impacting a sensitive area. I've actually had a cacher that *couldnt* find my 1/1! icon_biggrin.gif

While I agree that relative newbies/hiders only are capable of placing a great cache, it's best to hunt a bunch before you place. At the very least, you'll start to (hopefully) develop the 'force', and can maybe avoid 'obvious' signs when you place your caches.

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

Back when I started, caches were few and far between - literally. Someone once proposed a guideline of placing 1 cache for every 10 found.

I personally have 12 traditional caches with boxes, 2 virtuals, 1 webcam, 11 moving virtuals and one hitchhiker that's using a cache page. With 149 finds, in looking at the traditional, virtual and webcams, that's 10%, but it's not because I tried to make 10%.

Don't get me wrong - I'm always glad when another cache comes in to my area. But with 691 within 100 miles, I could never find all of them unless I took a month off from work and family (or lived the life of BruceS). But even if BruceS didn't place the 18 caches he has, I wouldn't begrudge him his finds.

If you're good at hiding, then hide. If you're good at finding, then find. If you're good at both - great. Why put arbitrary regulations on the necessity to place a cache?

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:

Squirrel Nut wrote:

At the very least, you'll start to (hopefully) develop the 'force', and can maybe avoid 'obvious' signs when you place your caches.

Man, that is so true! I've hidden 8 caches so far and I can say that it has helped me to 'see' the world in a different way when I go after a cache.

What 'Squirrel Nut' called the 'Force' is for me the ability to constantly ask yourself 'where and how would I hide it if I were to place one here?'. It's amazing how often the answer to this question ends up yielding the cache.

IMHO, I believe that hiding caches as you increase your find count is just being fair otherwise, there's no game possible. And in areas that are relatively bare, it just seems to be the right thing to do.

82972_1100.jpg

Just MHO, but I'd rather have quality than quantity. I have dozens of caches on my watch list that I'll go for when time permits. These involve some good hikes, great scenery and a considerable drive just to get to. But I know I'll be rewarded with a memorable experience, as opposed to the caches I've found at the end of a dead end street, steps from the car, behind a rock. Where's the adventure there? Did the hider think I'd enjoy the view of the rear of the warehouse? Or think I'd find some interest in the beer cans and garbage at the end of the road? As far as placing caches, as one poster put it, "all the good spots are gone" (my translation). I don't want to hide a cache in a crappy location just for the sake of getting one out there. I want to do the research and find a place to hide it that I know others will find and not say "so what".

In this case, the egg had to come before the chicken. If noone ever hid a cache noone would ever find one. I'v got under twenty finds, and as of yeserday, three caches. There aren't a lot of caches around here. My first two caches are real easy (one is a "drive by" virtual), but I put a lot of thought into my third. I guess what I'm trying to say is that even a "drive by" is better than nothing. It's pretty hard to find a placement that somebody couldn't find fault with, that's why I haven't placed more frequently. icon_wink.gif

Get off the cellphone and DRIVE!

I'm baffled by Grandmaster Caches's needs:

He said he was in the Bay area I believe - I'm assuming the San Fran area - perhaps incorrectly.

The following is a cache count posted by Marky - a bay area cacher just the other day in the "How many caches within 100 miles" thread.

1751 is the count for the 100 mile radius from home (zip 95118).

1954 is the count from work (zip 94588).

This is perhaps one of the most concentrated areas of caches in the world.

I just don't feel the need to be 'required' for any reason to put more out there in an area like this.

How many more caches are needed - if you found 5 a day in the bay area - your good for about 5 years.(my error should have said 1 a day - as G&M points out later)

When I visit Utah this summer, I'd love to put some special caches out in the middle of nowhere. I don't believe I can do this according to the cache placing guidelines as I cannot be around to maintain it. Asking a local to maintain something that might be basically in back country is out of the question.

So if I'm 'required' to place caches I have to force them into my own area which already has about 750 caches nearby.

Not me... at least for now.

[This message was edited by maleki on February 19, 2003 at 05:43 AM.]

I agree with MOPAR, the profile numbers don't always tell the whole story. Don't jump to conclusions. And If you get ticked off by surface info, you are way too emotionally involved.

This is FUN, remember? I know people who love to hide-they do a great job and are appreciated, sometimes outside of the forums, by those who find.

You can't force people to give back to a community, but you can recognize that people may contribute in different ways-

reference the membership fee debate-

Peace to All-

Pollyanna of bloomcru icon_smile.gif

Hi Maleki,

I suppose there's a bit of difference being addressed here.

MICRO caches = hundreds of 'em in my area, probably over a thousand in the Bay area.

REGULAR caches = caches our kids (yours and mine) like to go and visit. (FYI) I don't know many kids who delight in spending the weekend driving around while Dad signs slips of papers in tubes.

We've gotten 'em all in our area. While I certainly like chasing down the micros, I also like encouraging my kids to "play." If even 10 people of the 50 who visited one of our goodie caches last month alone plopped a few decent caches themselves, my kids would have 10 "treat boxes" to go find as well. You see?

Now, I'm not griping about my area because we've got people like Marky and Joani, Night Tracker and a few other "regulars" who understand "balance" and keep the sport "family friendly" out here. I hope to be in their ranks - I'm not doing too bad for a "beginner" if you research me while you're studying up on the Bay Area. icon_biggrin.gif And I'm elated at the comments we've gotten on our logs at the caches we've placed (again, as inexperienced beginners ) icon_biggrin.gif If you've visited 10 decent caches, you clearly understand the concept of how a GPS works, and how simple it is to place a trinket cache somewhere - and how to use one of the caching websites to place your cache online.

In the "adult" aspect of microcaching - we're not lacking. For kids?? We would definitely enjoy a few more seekers doing a few hides of their own for other families to enjoy.

Buckrun's point is not lost on us. We understand and agree 100%. People who hide caches would like to find them as well.

If it's money holding ya back, I understand. It can be tight for us at times, too. Which is why we get creative; an old Gott Jug, another used container, wrapped in black electrical tape, etc. But if a family can afford it, and indulges in other families caches - then they should share the enjoyment by placing a few of their own. And if you crunch those numbers you'll come up with a much different perspective. icon_smile.gif

Fewer and fewer people will continue investing in ammo boxes and treats if the majority of "hiders" think they are "returning the joy" by just placing micros. At that rate, it will just be Dad out caching, 'cause I love 'em all! icon_biggrin.gif But as it is, my kids stay home most trips... They just ain't into microcaching. icon_biggrin.gif Those, my friend, make up the fat of your numbers. icon_wink.gif

Hopefully that clears up the POV of myself and others with kids. icon_wink.gif

Grandmaster Cache

quote:
reference the membership fee debate-

Are we talking caching, or are we talking a query service fee? Surely this poster isn't insinuating that I like placing $$caches$$ for people who pay someone else 3 bucks to go find 'em. icon_rolleyes.gif There is no membership fee here, or at any other geocaching site. Membership is attained in the sport of geocaching by participation. It is generally thought that participating means giving back to those who give to you. So pay your 3 bucks, AND go place a good cache somewhere for me to find. The two are distinctly different. icon_wink.gif Geocaching is made possible by people HIDING caches. That concept is not lost on me. icon_smile.gif

Grandmaster Cache

I think I'll just try to add a few extra items to some existing caches and not mention it in the logs. New caches seem to get hit hard the first few days so many seem to be in need of new supplies after all the best stuff is swapped out.

Many I've been to are in very sad shape contents wise or leaky, cracked, etc.. One this past weekend was so musty that virtually everything in it was trash.

I've tried contacting a couple 'owners' about maintenance of existing caches and haven't received a reply. Part of the problem with just pumping out more new caches IMO.

Oh come on people! It's a simple game of hide & seek. Why make it any harder than that? If you feel the need for months of planning on your cache, fine. But don't use the cop out of 'experience' as a reason for you or anyone else to not place a cache. I've found 7 and now placed 2. And I don't feel I'm lacking in anything with regards to my ability to place a cache. If more people would get off their rear ends and place some in my area I wouldn't have to travel so far to find new ones myself. Relax people, it's just a game, have fun with it.

---------------------

Magellan Meridian GPS

http://www.kjjeep.com

quote:
Originally posted by GRANDMASTER CACHE:

Then what a wonderful idea to email the people investing all the dough in _hiding_ what you consider a "good" cache and offering them "financial support in order to 'give back' via a 'small donation'" since folks here are so big on being generous with donations to those that make the "hobby possible for them to enjoy." icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

There are other ways to contribute. For example, we contribute by being a paid subscriber to this web site. I don't feel we get much of a direct return on this since there are no "members only" caches in our area and I don't have a PDA anymore. We do it as a way of giving back for the pleasure that we've gotten from it.

Our team also leaves what we consider to be quality trade items. We make treasure bags with foreign coins and fake jewelry type items that we've gone to considerable expense and spent hours gathering and preparing. I would estimate each bag costs at least $5.oo to compile. Yet, most of the things we've taken from caches I'd value at under $1.oo...

We also take pictures at each park and have started a web site of parks in our area with general ideas of what to expect/rules/services. It also includes links to the park's home page if one exists.

Geocaching page

And don't forget trashing out. That gives something back to the whole community.

I don't consider us to be "takers" even though we haven't hidden a cache yet icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by maleki:

Some are quite unenjoyable ( I hesitate to say bad ) - some will say that no cache is unenjoyable(bad). Some are literally within feet of others. Some you can almost log without gettin out of your car. This is good for some - I know - and everyone has a different reason for enjoying Geocaching.

Do you know how you improve the caches in your area.... hide better caches. Lead by example. If the quality is lacking, then improve it yourself and show others what a 'good' cache looks like.

george

39570_500.jpg