Opera Hacks for geocaching.com (New for opera 7)

I don't if any of you remember or not, but last summer I had posted some hacks for Opera 6 to allow you to search the forums easily. Well, those don't work anymore one, because the forums changed and two, Opera 7 is different. So here's some replacement goodies for you.

First we're going to edit search.ini. For you NT users (NT, XP, 2000) this file is located in your profile directory. For example, mine is in

c:Documents and SettingsAcceptable RiskApplication DataOperaOpera 7profile 

For you Windows 9x People (Me, 98, 95) it will be in

c:Program FilesOpera 7

Now, open up search.ini in notepad. Notice that there's several search engines listed by number in small groups. I nuked the second one because "All The Web" blows goats. Select that whole little section and replace it with this...

[search Engine 2]Name=&GeoCachingURL=http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=srch&findw=%s&submit1=FindQuery=Key=aIs post=0Has endseparator=0Encoding=utf-8Search Type=1

Save it, and restart Opera. Now your search engine pulldown lists geocaching. Enter a search term, and select geocaching and you're on your way...

icon_smile.gif

Any questions, let me know...

geosig.jpg

Contents Under Pressure...

Good stuff, thanks for posting it. The files I had to edit on my Windows 2000 system with Opera 7.10 were:

C:Program FilesOpera7profilesearch.ini

C:Program FilesOpera7defaultsstandard_menu.ini

There was also a search.ini in the "C:Program FilesOpera7" folder. Editing it had no effect.

I didn't know you could do any of this. It looks like you can add stuff to any menu, including context menus. Neat.

quote:
Originally posted by George M:

Good stuff, thanks for posting it. The files I had to edit on my Windows 2000 system with Opera 7.10 were:

C:Program FilesOpera7profilesearch.ini

C:Program FilesOpera7defaultsstandard_menu.ini

There was also a search.ini in the "C:Program FilesOpera7" folder. Editing it had no effect.

I didn't know you could do any of this. It looks like you can add stuff to any menu, including context menus. Neat.

Sorry about that. I didn't have a Windows 2000 machine to look at so I had to guess where these files were located.

I made a mental note.

geosig.jpg

Saw a really good comedian on that new show Last Comic Standing the other night. He was pointing out that NY area Italians have already done what the hip hoppers are doing now:

Gangstas-Mafia

Lots of gold jewelry-Mafia wives

A bunch of overweight guys jumping around on stage shouting out in a language you can't understand-Opera. icon_biggrin.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

Rather than waste my time searching for Opera 7 on the web,icon_wink.gif I'll ask you. What is Opera 7 and why should I get it?

Opera is another web browser based on the mozilla engine. It has far less overhead than IE or Netscape.

I could spend all day pimping Opera, just install it and report back in a week..

http://www.operasoftware.com Give us one week to convert you...

geosig.jpg