Wildfires in Oregon affecting caching?

Guest MNMartian

Guest MNMartian

I was just wondering how the wildfires in Oregon are affecting caching for you out there? Sounds like they're pretty bad from what I'm hearing on the news. I know they just sent a bunch of firefighters out there from Northern MN to help.

Sorry, I should've added that there are fires across many states including Oregon.

[This message has been edited by MNMartian (edited 16 August 2001).]

Guest MNMartian

HMMMM.....I wonder how a metal ammo box would fare through a toasting? Although anything meltable inside would be a blob!

Hopefully it'll rain for you soon and help put out the fires!!

[This message has been edited by MNMartian (edited 16 August 2001).]

Guest D Creations

The Interagency Fire Center here in Klamath has been really busy with fire planes contiuosly flying and crews from all over the U.S. being flown in and dispersed. I think it would take quite a bit of rain at this point. But, I'm sure any would be a blessing.

Guest Sluggo

My UFO Cache on Bateman Island is still archived until the Richland (WA) fire department will let me go check it out. If you aren't familiar with the situation, there was a natural brush cover fire on Friday 08/03 followed by another fire on Wednesday 08/13. The cache was an ammo box and it had floppy disk (as well as other stuff) in it. When I get the chance to check it I will report back to the forums and let you know the results.

- Sluggo

Guest Lone Ranger

As C&D Creations know (fellow cachers friends of ours), right know the Klamath Basin is very smoky from nearby fires. We planted a cache very close to the fire lookout station here, and encouraged the findees to take a trip up to the top and familiarize themselves with their jobs. We also have a "friendly" fire guy who likes to log our caches pages with warnings to carry the regulation fire gear with us when we travel off road (which we do in this area alot). Just heard the fire bomber overhead. This is not a good time for us here. LR&T.

------------------

Guest White Rabbit

Well, the fires don't seem to be getting any smaller or in less numbers. I believe right now that there are 11 major fires in Oregon, all of them being on the east side of the state (high desert/hot/dry = fire's dream). The biggest one has burned around 51,000acres. Hopefully not too many caches will be harmed. And remember if you are looking for caches, please don't leave cigerettes on trails and stuff, the last thing we need is more fires in our state. Thank you and thanks for lending us your firefighters!!