So when are you no longer considered a newbie?

Sissy-n-CR

I remember a topic like this back when I started caching about a year ago, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe someone else can Markwell it.

I remember at that time though, someone suggested that 14 finds was a good number to have under your belt before you considered yourself to not be a newbie and even for hiding your first cache. I used that as a personal guideline for hiding, but I still feel like a newbie from time to time.

From what I've seen here in Illinois/Indiana, I think until you've experienced caching in all four seasons you're going to find yourself making some "newbie mistakes." Each season presents challenges/benefits that you never really realize until you're there.

Of course, YMMV, but I'll be taking off my pledge beanie on the anniversary of my first find. icon_wink.gif

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:
Originally posted by Centaur:

You are no longer a newbie if you have been here long enough to know what Markwelling is. icon_wink.gif

(Which is a good trick, considering it was only coined last month...)

We should create a newbie test covering the basic phrases, legends, lore, and photo-recognition of famous avatars.

Something like:

1. A doot is:

a. what you owe Jeremy for creating geocaching.com

b. what you do on a trade item flute

c. what you find in large bags handing from trees

d. what you say when you can't find the cache and your kids are with you

2. Rubbertoe found his original avatar:

a. on the end of his foot

b. on the end of his nose

c. on a foot fetish web site

d. while playing footsie at McDonald's

--

wcgreen

Wendy Chatley Green

Every time I have a DNF, I still feel like a newbie. Then there are the days when I find more than 10 and I don't. I think that maybe you aren't a newbie when you no longer feel like one. If it goes by your one year aniversary, then I have 7 more months of being a newbie.

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Even with knowing what geocaching was and visiting the site shortly after its creation and being active in the fouroms for over a year. And haveing a GPSr for over 3 years (and using it alot for driving, camping, hiking, and geocaching type things). I think I will find it extremly hard to not be considered a "newbe" because of my lack of finds (not many in eastern South Dakota).

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

[This message was edited by phantom4099 on December 02, 2002 at 12:29 AM.]

1. They don't put spoiler information in their logs.

2. Their logs don't even hint at coordinate discrepancies of less than 50 feet.

3. The pleasure derived from "the hunt" surpasses the interest in the contents of the cache container.

Oh yeah ... other ways you can tell you're no longer a newbie are when you've learned to remember to waypoint your car, you carry extra batteries and, if applicable, a trail map. icon_wink.gif

You are not a newbie any more when:

You can clearly explain Geocaching (with no fumbles in the description) to a non-Geocacher.

And act as a veteran geocacher would on a hunt/hide/find. Cache in, trash out seems easy enough for anyone, but that gains most respect.

If you have a hand in on finding a regular cache, a multi, a virtual would help in saying you've "been there, done that".

If you can be helpful on the forums and give a good answer to a question brought up by a newbie, that should give you a leg up.

I don't have a hundred finds, and I don't consider myself a newbie any more. Really don't care if anyone considers me one anyway. It's just tag, anyway.

Just go and do what you do and have fun. You'll gain experience and knowledge along the trail and on the forums.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

1. They don't put spoiler information in their logs.

2. Their logs don't even hint at coordinate discrepancies of less than 50 feet.

3. The pleasure derived from "the hunt" surpasses the interest in the contents of the cache container.

Oh yeah ... other ways you can tell you're no longer a newbie are when you've learned to remember to waypoint your car, you carry extra batteries and, if applicable, a trail map. icon_wink.gif

one two and three were pretty funny but I think I will be a newbie forever (as stated above) because I still forget to mark my truck and even though I do carry extra batteries I try not to use them, that is on the way out from a cache but would break down and open the package on the way too. That is of course if the batteries are dead in my second (backup) GPSr.

Maybe that can be a new one.

You are no longer a n00b when you carry more than one GPSr with you.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Not so sure, Somewhat new Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

Some have been mentioned.

1) 30 ft off coordinates are close enough

2) You learn to keep following the trail even though the gps points almost behind you and you wait before you take that "short cut"

3) You get someone started in geocaching

4) You've been to a geoevent.

5) You don't worry about the contents

the real mark that you've passed newbieness,

you've answered a newbies question.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

Well seems to me that it is pretty important to find out if one is a newbie or an oldie. The only thing I can't quite follow is why is it so important, does it make you a better more successfull cacher if you can "call" yourself a newbie or is there even a big extra special cache somewhere that is only available to non newbies???

Because if that is not the case, then who cares...? icon_confused.gif

So Long grinchtv.gif Eagleflyby

Ok, so I still consider myself a newbie but how about when you purchase a cell phone specifically because it has a GPS feature?(---looks like i misunderstood. My phone doesn't come with a GPS feature. In emergency situations they would be able to locate me using GPS. But the mere fact that one would assume that it HAS a GPS simply proves that I'm at least addicted)--- Or when you specifically look for clothes that are good for winter caching?

[This message was edited by Fallenfaery on December 04, 2002 at 09:34 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

Or when you can locate an ammo box by smell.

We can sometimes do that around here ... one of our most illustrious hiders (Hi Brian) almost always gives his ammo boxes a fresh camo job. The early finders of his caches can often pick up the aroma of fresh paint from at least 5 feet away. icon_wink.gif

You know you are no longer a newbie when you get that e-mail that says "'so and so' is contacting you through geocaching" and "so and so" is someone you took on their first cache in the park they live in, and they signed up AND logged in. Happened. Yup, it did! icon_biggrin.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, But Three Lefts Do.

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

"so and so" is someone you took on their first cache in the park they live in

WOW! You got a homeless person into geocaching? That is so cool! Ya know, I always suspected that those guys had computers with wireless connections and GPSrs and all sorts of hitech stuff in those cardboard boxes they live in. This reinforces my belief that they are homeless because they spend all their money on electronic toys.

You go, girl!

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

"so and so" is someone you took on their first cache _in the park they live in_

WOW! You got a homeless person into geocaching? That is so cool! Ya know, I always suspected that those guys had computers with wireless connections and GPSrs and all sorts of hitech stuff in those cardboard boxes they live in. This reinforces my belief that they are homeless because they spend all their money on electronic toys.

You go, girl!

+ _Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon. _

Actually this city park is an old estate and he's just lucky enough to rent a cottage in the park.

Cache you later,

Planet

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, But Three Lefts Do.

I think if you have to question if you're not a newbie anymore, then you probably aren't.

I have under 1000 posts, under 100 caches, but I've been around a long time (as far as geocaching is concerned anyway).

I enjoy geocaching, I even have some of the symptoms of "you know you're addicted to geocaching when..." I've gotten 3 people addicted to geocaching as well.

Geocaching Carolinas