Top 25 GeoCachers

Try looking Here

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.

Sydney J. Harris

The fool who knows he is a fool is for that reason very wise. The fool who thinks himself wise is the greatest fool of all.

Shakyamuni

quote:
Originally posted by Brian - Team A.I.:

CCCooperAgency doesn't really count, since it's a number of people logging finds under the same account. If it were a one or two person team, that might be different.

Do you know CCCooperAgency personally? If not, I wouldn't make comments about who logs finds, etc. From what I understand, they are a family that goes caching together. Apparently, they've gone to alot of caches. icon_biggrin.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Do you know CCCooperAgency personally? If not, I wouldn't make comments about who logs finds, etc. From what I understand, they are a family that goes caching together. Apparently, they've gone to alot of caches.

Wow Marky, first #1 Avatar for the free El Diablo geostaff and now the CORRECT answer on this issue. They are a family of 4; two thirtysomething parents and two kids 11 and 8ish. They came to Raleigh from their PA home for our Flag Day event cache earlier this summer. I spent part of the time on the trails with them. Real nice folks who are totally addicted. Kevin was kinda quiet, but Nina was very chatty. They plan major cache finding road trips almost every weekend. The R/T plan for that weekend was 20 on the way down and 20 on the way back! Rumor had it that he is retired military too.

icon_biggrin.gif Just a little selfbackpatting here-they had to ask for a hint on my Alexander's Ragtime Cache. icon_wink.gif They didn't want to leave town with a DNF posted.

Ok so it is a kick to stump one of the top cachers in the game.

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

Originally posted by wimseyguy:

Ok so it is a kick to stump one of the top cachers in the game.

===============================================

This cache has a DNF posted by one of the top cachers (June 17 log).

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

Are we doomed to have the same erroneous information on "You're Number One With Us" posted every time this topic comes up? The fact that it's almost never on topic only serves to make it more irritating.

CCCooper Agency is hardly an atypical configuration. While the name makes it _sound_ like it's a group of people, it's a husband/wife combo that take their kids with them. Their kids range from about 8 to about 20 or so. The "agency" thing refers to the family business, an insurance AGENCY. They don't split up on finds; it's not like hubby takes on the east side of town while wifey hammers the west side.

Lynn is the power cacher in the family. I've met her now on three occaisions and can honestly say the woman is obsessed. She doesn't blink an eye at driving through the night and caching through the day. With a drive like that, it's easy to understand how she has so many finds. I've seen Kevin and talked to him in email a few times, but couldn't pick him out of a line-up. I've seen Lynn in action and it's a spectacle; she's a caching machine! The geo-force is strong in her.

When the family is together, they hunt together. Big deal. I'd say any family that has anyone this committed that DOESN'T engage in the obsession together is missing out more than those that do. Sometimes my son, age 7, places his eyeballs on a cache before I do - and I describe it as such in the logs - yet I don't get regularly flamed in the forums for being one

of "a number of people logging finds under the same account".

There's no conspiracy, no magic - just hard work. The eternal "sour grapes" in these forums toward our own overachievers is getting quite tiresome.

quote:
Originally posted by evergreenhiker!:

quote:
Originally posted by Brian - Team A.I.:

CCCooperAgency doesn't really count, since it's a number of people logging finds under the same account. If it were a one or two person team, that might be different.

Brian

Team A.I.

Didn't know that. Couldn't see how one person could get so many finds...makes sense now.

Here we go again, indeed. Why can't we applaud their determination, ability and enthusiasm, rather than try to bring them down to a level that you feel is humanly possible, that makes you feel good about yourself. I don't see the solo cachers complaining about the families, who under this logic should have a much easier time racking up the finds since they bring more eyes and legs to the hunt (and no, this is not an invitation to start complaining). If numbers are that important, then create a joint account with friends in other states or even other countries. Find all the caches in the world! I'm sure the resulting experience will not be anywhere near as satisfying as that of a family who spends their time together and has found an activity they can all enjoy, and excel at.

No, maybe it's not "normal". I do hope that this doesn't develop into a true obsession for any of them, but that's not for me to judge or condemn. All I know is that high achievers are not usually what the majority considers "normal." Luckily for all of us, they usually don't care.

Zhanna

Yes. But be very careful. The site discourages competition between cachers. Don't call the cachers with the most finds "top"; that only encourages stats comparisons and may inadvertently lead to competition.

quote:
Originally posted by NeuroNomad & Sublonde:

Is there any way to search the profiles for say the Top 25 GeoCachers, or better yet, the Top 25 GeoCachers by region?

---------------------------------------------------------

Pardon me Sir, but there is a Wild GeoCache in this area.

http://www.neurocache.com

See, that's exactly what I was talking about! It's not about winning or losing or competition. It's about getting out in nature and hugging trees.

quote:
Originally posted by Skully & Mulder et al.:

I am actually the #1 cacher - unlike some groups, I am one person that has multiple ID's. Soon I will combine all my finds and all will see that I am up to 14,578 finds (with just 22 virtuals). - I WIN - Yea!!! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Stayfloopy is the GeoCaching Yoda!

For a long time, Stayfloopy was the king. CCCooper Agency, BruceS and several others have since passed him, but for a guy with a yellow eTrex and tennis shoes (doesn't wear hiking boots), he does great.

I still get a kick out of his logs. Many start with "stopped by this cache on my way to work".

The funny part is that he works a regular 9-5 job and he'd be hitting caches 50 miles away from where he lives and works.

Yes indeed, he is the Geocaching Yoda.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
I am actually the #1 cacher - unlike some groups, I am one person that has multiple ID's. Soon I will combine all my finds and all will see that I am up to 14,578 finds (with just 22 virtuals). - I WIN - Yea!!

Yeah but 14,278 of those were locationless. I think in one of your incarnations, you were called the "queen of the locationess cache"

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

For a long time, Stayfloopy was the king. CCCooper Agency, BruceS and several others have since passed him, but for a guy with a yellow eTrex and tennis shoes (doesn't wear hiking boots), he does great.

Thanks. Actually, I upgraded to an eTrex Legend. (blue) Not by choice. I lost the yellow on one of my caching trips and the nearest electronics store didn't have any yellow eTrexes in stock.

Still no boots though. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

According to quantum theory my alter ego in another universe has as many finds as I have posts and as many posts as I have finds. So I'm doing pretty good there.

If I speleld quantum wrong it doesn't matter. Somewhere else it's spelled right.

I read Robert Heinlein's Number of the Beast too....Lol

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

quote:

Yeah but 14,278 of those were locationless. I think in one of your incarnations, you were called the "queen of the locationess cache"

That, my ex-friend, really hurt ... and did you have to tell everybody? And BTW, mister, for your imformation, if you look at my profile you will see that I have 349 traditional cache finds - you do the math - your theory just does not pan out. I still win!!!

Not any more. It used to be on insidecorner.com but that site went down. There is some discussion about publishing this type of data on gc.com, but not sure exactly what the plans are at this point.

quote:
Originally posted by NeuroNomad & Sublonde:

Is there any way to search the profiles for say the Top 25 GeoCachers, or better yet, the Top 25 GeoCachers by region?

---------------------------------------------------------

Pardon me Sir, but there is a Wild GeoCache in this area.

http://www.neurocache.com

quote:
See, that's exactly what I was talking about! It's not about winning or losing or competition. It's about getting out in nature and hugging trees.

No offense but for many of us its about the competition. I don't hug trees either, yuck all that sap!!

"When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pu**y." - General(ret) Tommy Franks

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

Define "top".

Here's how I don't define it: the most number of finds. To me it's someone who can handle 5/5's. It's someone with a decent amount of finds. It's someone with a fair amount of FTF. It's someone who contributes back to the game in the forums, and with hiding their own caches.

From NJ I must say that it's a tie IMHO between Stayfloopy and BP. Stayfloops has more finds, but I think Marc has slightly better skills. BP may be ornery at times, but if I HAD to name one individual I'd name Marc, if only for the fact that he finds everything, he's like a hoover vacomatic.

There are several others that warrant honorable mention including NJ Ski, and I'd give HartClimbs a mention despite still not having been around that long. And Tneigel deserves a nod just for his contribution back to the sport.

william

alt.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Gwho:

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

Define "top".

Here's how I _don't_ define it: the most number of finds. To me it's someone who can handle 5/5's. It's someone with a decent amount of finds. It's someone with a fair amount of FTF. It's someone who contributes back to the game in the forums, and with hiding their own caches.

From NJ I must say that it's a tie IMHO between Stayfloopy and BP. Stayfloops has more finds, but I think Marc has slightly better skills. BP may be ornery at times, but if I HAD to name one individual I'd name Marc, if only for the fact that he finds everything, he's like a hoover vacomatic.

There are several others that warrant honorable mention including NJ Ski, and I'd give HartClimbs a mention despite still not having been around that long. And Tneigel deserves a nod just for his contribution back to the sport.

Top is probably an overused word. Finds might be top, or good hides might be tops as well.

Personally, I'd nominate Yrium for his great logs. When I stumble across a cache that's already been found by Yrium, it's a treat to read his on-line log. If I could find it, I'd Markwell his log where his dog "wrote" the log. A great read, and tops in my book.

Webfoot frog.gif

5307_800.jpg

Yeah, sure....but did he use a GPSr to find it?

Just had to throw this in. 7 out of 10 of the top geocachers in the country (by # of caches found):

119047_5100.JPG

7 of the top 10 cachers - BruceS, Lil Otter, Show Me The Cache, CCCooper, Southpaw, JoGPS, & Robertlipe

quote:
Originally posted by Webfoot:

Personally, I'd nominate Yrium for his great logs. When I stumble across a cache that's already been found by Yrium, it's a treat to read his on-line log. If I could find it, I'd Markwell his log where his dog "wrote" the log. A great read, and tops in my book.

Found it

Grommit logs a cache

Webfoot frog.gif

5307_800.jpg

Yeah, sure....but did he use a GPSr to find it?

I've met five of the top ten and they go at it hard, BruceS and I pass each other when I was just starting out caching, it was 10:30 A.M. and we chat for a couple of minutes, he said his gps had died and he borrow one, so he was behind schedule, had only found 15 so far. CCCooper and her daughter were in town to celebrate her 3000th find and we chatted awhile found a couple of caches that was placed in her honor and told cache stories. They thanked everyone there who had placed a cache in the area that they had found, and in a couple of weekends it was over two or three hundred, 115 in a marathon day. They are nice people. Robert Lipe is a computor whiz who I think has every gadget made by man and can explain how to use it, he and his young son have over 1400 finds, he does alot for the Middle Tennessee Geocachers Club, from being an officer to organizing special events and meetings. If you have a question about something he can usually answer it or find out for you. Southpaw is closing in on 2000 and has more ftf than most has fines, he enjoys talking about caches that you have in common, about what he ran into when he found it and listens to you tell what happen when you went after it. That's what we do at most of our meetings, it's almost like talking fishing (the one that almost got away). He has some very good hides also. Jogps is over 2000 finds and could have more but he gives his time helping new cachers learn and enjoy the game and working with our parks systems statewide, so we can continue to cache in them. Some of the toughest caches you will ever find are one of jogps or his brother Southpaw's. No matter what he's doing or where he's at, he always find time to help someone when it comes to this game. The last three are tops in the state of Tennessee and are very active so I'll probably never pass any of them, but it was nice to have a stats sheet so I could see how many thousand more I needed to pass them. All of these guys get alot of finds but they are just like I am, they still enjoy clever hides or unique places and other cachers, that's what hooked me away. It may not be about numbers but I like mile markers too because they let you know how far you have came and how far you still need to go. Long winded way of saying bring back the stats.

Mosestron

quote:
Originally posted by hammack:

If you're going to define "top", it's got to be simple. Forget about taking into account the difficulty of the caches. It should be either total finds or finds+hides.

oh ok then in that case its stayfloopy (in NJ at least) and this thread can now be closed. sorry we all define top differently. I stand by my previous annointing of BP (although there is a contingent of the Episcopalian church which plans to protest against this nomination)

william

alt.gif

Keenpeople really isn't a useful tool at the moment. It leaves out an awful lot of cachers. Particurlarly the many thousands who haven't registered and inputed their cache info.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by CacheMonkeez:

Yes. But be very careful. The site discourages competition between cachers. Don't call the cachers with the most finds "top"; that only encourages stats comparisons and may inadvertently lead to competition.

So....who are the top 25 best lookin' geocachers ...or the 25 tallest geocachers?

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Keenpeople really isn't a useful tool at the moment. It leaves out an awful lot of cachers. Particurlarly the many thousands who haven't registered and inputed their cache info.

_

But it does include:

icon_razz.gif

mystats.php?userid=sept1c_tank&vopt=&txtdata=Stats%20Rule!&bgcol=ffcc99&fgcol=00ff33

ingeo-button2.gifbad_boy_a.gifpuke.gif

The only 1k plus cacher I've met was StayFloopy. I was honored by his presents at my LI Cache event last month. And I don't think there is anything wrong with a little friendly competion. It's healthy & fun. If you don't want to compete don't. But don't tell others they shouldn't.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.