POLL: Tupaware or Ammo boxes???

MTBguy

...because it depends on the location. Ammo boxes are absolutely the best in remote locations. However, especially in the post-September world, there are places where ammo cans would be inappropriate. Also, some hiding spots are too small for ammo cans. I select the container specifically for the hiding place. I've used ammo cans, Rubbermaid, Tupperware, Altoids tins, plastic decanters, 35mm film canisters, and others. I do use ammo cans when I can.

25021_1200.gif

its the other choice for me. i too prefer altoids tins since i plant alot on urban micro caches. the only cache i have out in the sticks is an ammo can though. i dont like tuperware. the gladware stuff seems to do better in the south fl heat. tuperware seems to open itself over time with the heat.

urbo

quote:
Originally posted by MTBguy:

Which do you prefer?

Even though all of my own caches are in large, plastic, food storage containers (Rubbermaid-style), I firmly believe that supplus ammo cans are the way to go. Eventually, I'll be replacing my "grocery store" boxes with "military grade!" icon_smile.gif

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

quote:
Originally posted by MTBguy:

Which do you prefer?

Even though all of my own caches are in large, plastic, food storage containers (Rubbermaid-style), I firmly believe that supplus ammo cans are the way to go. Eventually, I'll be replacing my "grocery store" boxes with "military grade!" icon_smile.gif

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

...because it depends on the location. Ammo boxes are absolutely the best in remote locations. However, especially in the post-September world, there are places where ammo cans would be inappropriate. Also, some hiding spots are too small for ammo cans. I select the container specifically for the hiding place. I've used ammo cans, Rubbermaid, Tupperware, Altoids tins, plastic decanters, 35mm film canisters, and others. I do use ammo cans when I can.

i picked ammo can, because that is what i would like to use, even if i cant because of size or placement constrains. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

i picked ammo can, because that is what i would like to use, even if i cant because of size or placement constrains. icon_smile.gif

We've only placed 3 caches, but all of those have been those cheap Glad Plasticwear stuff. I don't really know what they're called. We wrap them up in black electrical tape, which help conceal them in dark holes and helps to waterproof them a little more. They seem to work perfectly.

buneatg.gifI am the Rabbit King, I can do anything

quote:
Originally posted by White Rabbit:

We've only placed 3 caches, but all of those have been those cheap Glad Plasticwear stuff. I don't really know what they're called. We wrap them up in black electrical tape, which help conceal them in dark holes and helps to waterproof them a little more. They seem to work perfectly.

I notice that the oldest of your 3 caches is just over 2 months old. I wonder how well they will have held up a year or more from now.

Ammo boxes have the best durability for the price, but like many others, most of my hides are in urban/suburban areas where ammo cans would be more likely to attract the bomb squad. I lean toward clear containers of some sort in these areas.

25021_1200.gif

I like ammo boxes.

The last longer than Rubbermaid/Tupperware.

We were the 2nd finders of a Gladware cache (1 week after it was placed) and it was already starting to craze. Now, about a month later, there are reports that cache is waterlogged.

Cops blow up anything freaky - ammo boxes or plastic containers.

Just 'cause it's translucent doesn't mean all the contents are visible from a 'safe' distance.

---------------

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I mostly use ammo cans, for the durability. Especially if it is going to be hidden in the desert.

If I am hiding a cache around town, I will use gladware. I had one in a tree in a local park that an ammo can would probably not stayed in place.

Has anyone checked out heavy duty plastic zip-lock

bags. Why are we so hung up on metal boxes or hard plastic. Does anyone know of a place to buy 6mil or 8mil plastic bags, about 9" x 12". They would surely be tough enough and dry enough. Most caches that I've found are in a secondary plastic bag anyway. I know you can buy great waterproof bags but most are too expensive. There has got to be a higher quality zip-lock out there that sells for less than a buck a bag.

quote:
Originally posted by SkyTrek:

Why are we so hung up on metal boxes or hard plastic.

Most caches that I've found are in a secondary plastic bag anyway.

i think we tend to use hard containers because they would seem to offer the most protection to the items in the cache. and yes many do have secondary protection, but again i think this is because they allow more protection for the items. starting with a sturdy container that is water proof(and will stay that way a while, hopefull a long time...), and using ziplocks as a back up seems to provide the most protection from moisture without extreme cost.

PLEASE DONT TELL ME YOU ARE PLANNING TO PLACE A ZIP LOCK CACHE icon_mad.gificon_eek.gificon_frown.gif

some parks already dislike caches because they are too much like litter, using just a ziplock is going to going to make a geocache so much like a bag a trash....

anti-littering laws will definitely apply.

quote:

Why are we so hung up on metal boxes or hard plastic.

Most caches that I've found are in a secondary plastic bag anyway.

i think we tend to use hard containers because they would seem to offer the most protection to the items in the cache. and yes many do have secondary protection, but again i think this is because they allow more protection for the items. starting with a sturdy container that is water proof(and will stay that way a while, hopefull a long time...), and using ziplocks as a back up seems to provide the most protection from moisture without extreme cost.

PLEASE DONT TELL ME YOU ARE PLANNING TO PLACE A ZIP LOCK CACHE icon_mad.gificon_eek.gificon_frown.gif

some parks already dislike caches because they are too much like litter, using just a ziplock is going to going to make a geocache so much like a bag a trash....

anti-littering laws will definitely apply.

quote:

Has anyone checked out heavy duty plastic zip-lock

bags?

I placed a multi-cache, using film containers as the first couple of legs. In one of the spots, I thought about adding a disposable camera in a ziplock freezer bag, but I'm afraid squirrels will chew through it, and either damage the camera or expose it to rain. Has anyone tried leaving a camera in just a ziplock bag, without a container for additional protection?