Mandatory Waiting Period for First Time Geocachers

We need more rules.

All the whiney newbies in these boards are cluttering the place up. They get all excited, they get a gps without even bothering to look up all the advice that’s already been given. Then they can’t use it and they rush out and can’t find their first cache and then they come back to the forums and post that they are blind morons. Ok we already knew that but did you have to post it? The commision will please excuse that my first cache was also a skunk, there were extenuating circumstance

I’m thinking a waiting period is in order. Something like you have to find 10 caches before you are allowed to go find your first cache. Sure it sounds impossible, but let me tell you, it’s better than the crybaby alternative.

Or, we could make them take a test. One that covers GPS use, Cache protocol, trading rules and the like. Then they would get a Geocaching License. The would have to get sponsors to recommend them to the testing board. “I being a geocacher of reasonable sound mind and scratched and bruised legs do solemnly swear that this newbie would make a worthy addition to our ranks. I take full responsibility for their behavior during their probation. Should they whine or fail to maintain a cache they place I understand that I will be excommunicated from the fraternal order of Geocachers”

Newbie excitement should be squelched at all costs. Yeah, lets do that and then we can all stagnate in comfort. Somebody pass me the remote I want to watch Geocaching on ESPN.

Uhmm......How can they find 10 caches before they can find their first? Are you saying they can't log a find until they've found their eleventh cache?

That's something to ponder.

Who let all the Riff-Raff in here in the first place? icon_rolleyes.gif

OG

Prophetically Challenged (or is that Pathetically?)

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

We need more rules.

All the whiney newbies in these boards are cluttering the place up. They get all excited, they get a gps without even bothering to look up all the advice that’s already been given. Then they can’t use it and they rush out and can’t find their first cache and then they come back to the forums and post that they are blind morons. Ok we already knew that but did you have to post it? _The commision will please excuse that my first cache was also a skunk, there were extenuating circumstance_

I’m thinking a waiting period is in order. Something like you have to find 10 caches before you are allowed to go find your first cache. Sure it sounds impossible, but let me tell you, it’s better than the crybaby alternative.

Or, we could make them take a test. One that covers GPS use, Cache protocol, trading rules and the like. Then they would get a Geocaching License. The would have to get sponsors to recommend them to the testing board. “I being a geocacher of reasonable sound mind and scratched and bruised legs do solemnly swear that this newbie would make a worthy addition to our ranks. I take full responsibility for their behavior during their probation. Should they whine or fail to maintain a cache they place I understand that I will be excommunicated from the fraternal order of Geocachers”

Newbie excitement should be squelched at all costs. Yeah, lets do that and then we can all stagnate in comfort. Somebody pass me the remote I want to watch Geocaching on ESPN.

Who's doin all the whining?

Sounds elitist.

I just found GeoCaching, but I'll match my GPS skills and woodsmanship / orienteering abilities against anyone.

Bring your test on, I was ready before I ever found Geocaching.

The Cache etiquette is nothing more than common sense.

If you don't want to help out newbies, you really don't have to. Maybe below each post it could have the number of caches found, and how long the person has been doing caching, so that you could just skip all of the worthless drivel that the unqualified morons & imbeciles such as myself try to offer.

Hukt un fonix werkt fur mee

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

Cool.

Right after we do that, let's put a limit on how many times you're allowed to post to the forums. I choose.... um .... I don't know.... 3315.

hehehe You beat me to it! icon_biggrin.gif

Someone with over 3 thousand posts complaining about others cluttering up the boards is irony not even Alanis Morissette could mistake.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

Fortunately I was able to buy my GPS used and avoid the background check for it, but I don't know how to dodge the cache "cooling off" period. I suppose I'll have to hijack somebody else's cache, such is my exuberence.

If you outlaw cacheing, only outlaws will cache....

130036_200.gif

Hey RK's #'s are phenomenol for a 7 month period!

Just noticed his post count when someone mentioned it (shows how much I notice those things), and he is averaging just a little less than 500 posts a month. Makes me feel a little better now. He's averaging in one month, what I post in 2 months. icon_biggrin.gif

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

Hey RK's #'s are phenomenol for a 7 month period!

Just noticed his post count when someone mentioned it (shows how much I notice those things), and he is averaging just a little less than 500 posts a month. Makes me feel a little better now. He's averaging in one month, what I post in 2 months. icon_biggrin.gif

Brian

_As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump_

Just remember you were on vacation and fell behind in your posts. Also if you would like to borrow my calculator, it shows an average of about 166 posts a month for RK.

John of 2oldfarts

There's only two rules to life.

1st - don't sweat the small stuff.

2nd - It's all small stuff...

quote:
Originally posted by Mark 42:

...If you don't want to help out newbies, you really don't have to. Maybe below each post it could have the number of caches found, and how long the person has been doing caching, so that you could just skip all of the worthless drivel that the unqualified morons & imbeciles such as myself try to offer....

Not to worry. If you look at the topic there is a wink emoticon in case anyone (especially newbies) took this thread seriously. Mostly in a very roundabout way I was poking fun at the waiting period for placing caches brought up by Team 360.

You will find that I'm not anti newbie and have answered umpteen threads on "What GPS do I need" along with a lot of other things.

Woodsters, guilty as charged. This is what happened when they made me quit working through breaks and lunch...

NOTE: I know you are at least half way kidding and so am I so am I. ( Man I hate giving disclamers on every thing) icon_redface.gificon_razz.gif

quote:
All the whiney newbies in these boards are cluttering the place up

Hummm. Im new but dont think I whine, (although a glass every now in then is very nice.) I know I do ask alot of questions. I have one now.

My question is "How many of us were born with a GPS in hand, mouth or ???? icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_eek.gif OR was someone nice enough to help answer all our crazy questions, Kind enough to give us hints and directions and helped us go from a new person into someone who may have forgotten all the help he/she was given?

Me? Hell I was born knowing everything. NOT!

To get to where I am now I got lots of help.

You do have a point, in a way. Teaching people about there GPS is not a bad idea. You buy one and there you are. Not much info and the only way to find information is to ask.

I would love to have a site that could answer some ? I might come up with but I need to do some research on my own also. Thats why I came here! I was told that if I had any ? the people here could answer it and could teach anyone how to use a GPS, make caches, and all the in's and out's of geocaching. Great of you to stand up and do this for us.

The part about having a amount of finds is also kind of a good one also but how do you set a number? Some with 50 finds can be worse off than someone with 10. Some with 100's of finds still can be a slob when it comes to placing a cache. So again how can ou place a # on it.

I would like to see how others put together their caches or a idea of how they did it. You can go to the cache site but you can only get a very small idea of how it works. Example. I have a very nice place to put a multi and would like to make it a fun place to find. I have been given info on others but the page only gives a hint at what goes on so not much help. Sort of like going to a auto book for help on replacing a ??? door, and just finding a picture of a door with no info. Hope you can understand what I am trying to say. I dont want to steel a cache but I want to try and see how its done and make somthing different with their help.

We all including us old farts had to start somewhere and that means someone helped us and even listened to some questions that might have been repeated more than a few times.

Sometimes I get so tired of students coming in and asking the same old questions but I answer them or ask them a question to make them think of the answer for themself. Some say "why bother?" Well if you want somthing to grow you need to help or it will just die. Thats what would happen here. No new people = no Old farts having somthing to grip about, so we would just dry up and be used in some geocache some where. icon_razz.gif

I Wish to thank those who have answered my questions or pointed me in the right direction. I know that your help will make me a better geocacher.

I hope that I never get tired of helping some one who comes in for help and yes if I know the answer or know some one who does, I will do my best to help.

Thats what we are here for to help, New and old.

Maybe we should ask for a new area for the board, Somthing like, "Old farts that do not want to be bothered with first time geocachers" icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif LOL

Take care, (and again just some ideas and lots of kidding),(dang there is another one)

Rick

[This message was edited by Shadow's on August 06, 2003 at 02:49 PM.]

I was wondering why you posted that in light of the fact that you still frequent the "Getting Started" section.

Allow me to say "D'oh!"

(Digging hook out of upper lip...)

I didn't even realize I autoignore the icons next to the title.

I do still notice them in the body of the message.

Here's one you may find useful...

devil.gif

And one from a person who considers himself a master of

subtlety (when desired) notworthy.gif

Hukt un fonix werkt fur mee

Actually I think a post/find ratio would be more in order. After all is this about hiding/finding geocaches or just writing about it? icon_razz.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

quote:
Originally posted by wimseyguy:

Actually I think a post/find ratio would be more in order. After all is this about hiding/finding geocaches or just writing about it? icon_razz.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

Hmmm, following that logic, I'm behind on my post/find ratio if kept at a 1/1 ratio. I currently have 1.1173814898419864559819413092551 posts to 1 find. Stop the insanity!!!!!!!!!

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Or, we could make them take a test.

A test, RK, should be mandatory before permitting one to post to the fora. It would be fairly simple to set something up which would require a user to demonstrate the ability to use the search tool to look for information. This would cut down the redundancy of the topics as well as those threads which begin I know this has been discussed before, but I want my own topic.

The test could also incorporate a lengthy treatise that repeats over and over and over and over and over and over again certain topics. After the two hour lecture, in monotone, perhaps the user will have been exposed enough to these topics that he will not feel an immediate need to post the thread Why Can't I Place This Cache While On Vacation?

Just a thought . . .

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

Look- I'm not gonna read through this whole thread, but I just want to make a comment based on the topic. I placed my first cache before ever finding one (Needfull Things). To this day, it is still one of my favorite placements and has been well received by the local caching community. On the other hand I agree with your point that some cache placements are juse half-hearted efforts that will waste seekers time (just read a couple of my recent DNF logs). I don't have an answer of how to deal with this except to consider the reputation of the placer before seeking the cache.

quote:
Actually I think a post/find ratio would be more in order. After all is this about hiding/finding geocaches or just writing about it?

They are different issues. I post frequently, because I'm in front of a comupter most of the day (currently job hunting). I don't have a lot of finds, because I have many other obligations and interests.

Since cache hides are the life blood of this sport, perhaps we should have a post to quality hide ratio. I'll put my PQH ratio up against nearly anybody's (even with almost 4,000 posts).

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
It's insane to discuss how much someone can discuss...and who needs any more rules, anyway

No more forum posts made while on vacation.

No more posts about National Parks unless they are virtual.

No posts on physical caches unless a markwell is included (pencil optional).

No traveling posts.

No commercial posts - do not mention the brand of your GPS.

No posts within .1 hours of a previous post.

etc.

hehe

~erik~

Take at least a 13 dollar an hour pay, and multiply that by the number of hours you people and I spend on this board in the past 12 months.

What do you think you would have made during this time ??

I would have made up near $10,000

At least that would have paid off all debt, except for the house.

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My profile

My Home Page about what is GPS

quote:
Originally posted by ~erik~:

quote:
It's insane to discuss how much someone can discuss...and who needs any more rules, anyway

No more forum posts made while on vacation.

No more posts about National Parks unless they are virtual.

No posts on physical caches unless a markwell is included (pencil optional).

No traveling posts.

No commercial posts - do not mention the brand of your GPS.

No posts within .1 hours of a previous post.

etc.

hehe

~erik~

WHAT !

I cant even mention about my Liahona brand GPS that runs on faith and prayer??

Just kidding

quote:
Originally posted by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders):

Just remember you were on vacation and fell behind in your posts. Also if you would like to borrow my calculator, it shows an average of about 166 posts a month for RK.

3300+ posts in 7 months = 471 a month

Check that calculator of yours. Can't hold the vacation thing back. Even if averaging in that would be less than one day a month taken away over a 12 month period. Won't have much effect in averages.

Brian

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I'll put my PQH ratio up against nearly anybody's (even with almost 4,000 posts).

Well, since BrianSnat threw down the gauntlet, and considering only our local cachers, I would rank the PQH ratio around these parts to be Cache_Ninja, Lucien, Kernbob, jonboy and then Brian. Most of those fellows have placed just as many terrific caches as BrianSnat and hardly, if ever, post to the forums.

I'm probably remiss for not having included Waterboy w/wife and Ttepee on that list ... but they're way up there, too.

But hey, that's quite an august group of cache placers to be among, so congratulations and thanks!

quote:
Or, we could make them take a test. One that covers GPS use, Cache protocol, trading rules and the like. Then they would get a Geocaching License. The would have to get sponsors to recommend them to the testing board. “I being a geocacher of reasonable sound mind and scratched and bruised legs do solemnly swear that this newbie would make a worthy addition to our ranks.

OK, I'll take RN's test. Oh never mind, I already flunk. I didn't read my Magellan 315 manual until yesterday to find out that I could set it to alarm me when signal is lost. I do currently have some really scratched up legs from caching (and my car too, might post a thread on that soon). I even managed to scrape my butt cheek somehow (no NOT nude caching!). So hopefully that makes up for it? icon_smile.gif

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Well, since BrianSnat threw down the gauntlet, and considering only our local cachers, I would rank the PQH ratio around these parts to be Cache_Ninja, Lucien, Kernbob, jonboy and then Brian. Most of those fellows have placed just as many terrific caches as BrianSnat and hardly, if ever, post to the forums.

I'm probably remiss for not having included Waterboy w/wife and Ttepee on that list ... but they're way up there, too.

Hey, I never said I'd beat them icon_wink.gif !

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Woodsters Outdoors wrote:

Your right, my bad. I thought it said 2003. My bad. I apologize...

Man, how I hate that expression (my bad) -- not only do you apologize far too much for opening your yap without knowing what you're talking about but you also use exceptionally poor grammar.

Sometimes it's better to just keep your mouth shut and try to realize just how annoying your posts really are. Really Brian, why do you feel so compelled to comment on EVERYTHING? I have a ten year old son who was constantly getting himself into trouble for yapping off when he should have been keeping his mouth shut -- he's finally learned to keep quiet about things that he knows nothing about and has found that he learns more by listening than by talking. Just the other day he told me that he's finding it much easier to express himself properly now. Perhaps there's a lesson in there for you.

It's not so much that anyone minds your opinions, but for crying out loud man, when you're apologizing as much as you do for things that you've said, it's time to dummy up.

[This message was edited by Jomarac5 on August 07, 2003 at 10:07 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

I think we need a waiting period between posts from Woodsters Outdoors icon_wink.gif

I'll open the bidding at one post per month. Actually, that would be kind of cool... something to look forward to, like knowing in advance that there will be a car wreck, and then everyone gathers to see it. Oh, wait, we already have that. Sorry, NASCAR fans.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

I think we need a waiting period between posts from Woodsters Outdoors icon_wink.gif

I'll open the bidding at one post per month. Actually, that would be kind of cool... something to look forward to, like knowing in advance that there will be a car wreck, and then everyone gathers to see it. Oh, wait, we already have that. Sorry, NASCAR fans.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

Hey, hey. Take it easy on the guy. I could handle once every two weeks.

smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

"My Bad" is lingo. Don't get so uptight about grammar. Geesh. At least I didn't say "My Bad 'eh"...right? icon_biggrin.gif

I apologized, take it or leave it. Now you get picked for admitting when you are wrong and apologize. Loosen up some....No need to reply on the apology. And Jomomarc, i've received email about you before. Your remarks more than substanuate them.

Brian

quote:
Woodsters Outdoors wrote:

I apologized, take it or leave it. Now you get picked for admitting when you are wrong and apologize. Loosen up some....No need to reply on the apology. And Jomomarc, i've received email about you before. Your remarks more than substanuate them.

Nice to hear that people are talking about me -- all nice things I hope.

Sounds like you need to go back and read my previous post because I don't think you get it yet. And just so you don't get sidetracked this time -- it might be best for you to skip the first paragraph.

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

"My Bad" is lingo. Don't get so uptight about grammar. Geesh. At least I didn't say "My Bad 'eh"...right? icon_biggrin.gif

Brian

_As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump_

Yeah Jomarac5, he can't even spell, (bolded above) and you expect him to master grammar as well?

Oh and Leprechaun, I'll see your 1 month and raise it one.

Nothing to see here, move along.

quote:
Originally posted by gunx:

...But if there were a two month waiting period, who could substanuate it?

If Jeremy made a Bozo bin and put names it it like the penalty box at a hocky game that would do the trick.

Not that I have anything against any of the snipers in this thread.

It would just be funny to see it. Click the Bozo Bin link and there would be BrianSnat with a 1 week penalty for pushing the limits of tasteful avitars. I'd be right next to him with a 3 month penalty for trolling.

quote:

Your right, my bad.

All I want to know is ... whose right what? Do most people communicate via a steady stream of adjectives?

Fill in the blanks:

Your right (insert subject) (insert verb) etc., my bad (insert object) (insert verb) etc., etc..

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on August 07, 2003 at 01:12 PM.]