Free Hand Painted Rock with Your Avatar

hikemeister

Following up on the posting by El Diablo about the hiking staff....I hand draw and paint Geocaching logos and other things on smooth, unique shaped rocks collected from a shoreline rock reef in south Florida. These regularly are left in one of my caches (Geo Rock Cache). If you post your Avatar during the next month (until October 3), and then viewers of this site vote for the best Avatar from October 4 to 10, I will create a unique painted rock with the winner's logo, and mail it to that person at no cost. I'm a practicing scientist and a closet artist, so for me this will just be fun.

PS -- I cannot do photos -- sorry about that.

The Hikemeister

Why not try again? ---A rock (crystal)...sure why not. Way coool! This should be a fun thread.

Will you put a couple of pictures of some of your art that you have done on this thread or a link to a few pictures? thank you.

Shirley of 2oldfarts

Human beings can always be counted on to assert with vigor their God-given right to be stupid.--Dean Koontz

Have you photographed your work? I would be very interested to see it. (Please take that exactly as I wrote it and not "just how good are you?")

My avatar is not original, so I wouldn't feel right submitting it for a contest. Though, I would be very interested to know if you would consider a commissioned work.

In case you're interested, my avatar is based on a photo taken by Anders Petersen and was brought to my attention as cover art by my favorite musician, Tom Waits, on his 1985 release of Rain Dogs. (The best album ever, by the way. icon_wink.gif)

Decent resolution photo is on the site linked above here. However, I'm fairly sure the actual avatar image I use is a drawing. Maybe charcoal? (It could be a photoshop filter for all I know. I've never been accused of being an artist by anyone.) Also, if my hunch is correct, I don't know who to credit for the drawing.

Anyway, let me know what you think. Thanks,

-Vb

Edit: Feel free to email me if you would prefer to discuss it outside of the forum. verboten@adelphia.net

[This message was edited by Verboten on September 03, 2003 at 01:14 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Verboten:

In case you're interested, my avatar is based on a photo taken by http://www.zonezero.com/exposiciones/fotografos/anders/default.html and was brought to my attention as cover art by my favorite musician, Tom Waits, on his 1985 release of Rain Dogs (The best album ever, by the way. icon_wink.gif)

So that's where it's from! I've almost stayed coupla nights awake not remembering it! icon_wink.gif Yes, it's a great album, and I should buy it again, since the one that was in my cd shelf went away years ago when my gf of that time turned to an ex and took it with her... I never got into buying a new one.icon_razz.gif

Oh, my face on a rock would be a rockface, eh? Count me in, please.

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

Here's mine...

guy_ani.gif

BTW, I too am a scientist who enjoys occasionally being artistic...

I entered a design in the Washington State Quarter selection process... when it's up to be voted on (if they select it for the next stage) I'll let y'all know. If you like it you can even vote for it.

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

Well, I know you said you don't do photos. But if I win (not much chance) perhaps you can do something close. I would LOVE a rock with me and my Texas Chihuahua painted on it. And I promise it would stay on my desk, not outside so he could... well, you know what boy-dogs do. If it sticks up 3 inches above ground level..... icon_biggrin.gif

So many bushes - so little pee....

Parker.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by Divine:

So that's where it's from! I've almost stayed coupla nights awake not remembering it! icon_wink.gif Yes, it's a great album, and I should buy it again, since the one that was in my cd shelf went away years ago when my gf of that time turned to an ex and took it with her... I never got into buying a new one.icon_razz.gif

Well, it may surprise you, but Tom Waits is more known in Scandinavia than the US. And of course he's Big In Japan. icon_smile.gif Seriously, hardly anyone knows who Tom Waits is here. Well, percentage wise, anyway. Even after he won the Grammy a few years back! Go figure...

-Vb (and yes, you should buy it again)

Oh please pick mine. Or is this too much of a photo to count?

Thank you. It is a nice gesture and pleasant diversion.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

Well as in the last contest I think it would be a good idea to cut it down to a week. El Diablo set it up for a couple weeks then cut it down because the boards move so fast that there really is no need for a month.

I would let Marky help keep track of all of the avatars for you since he did just a great job last time and really has nothing better to do.

I would like to include my avatar in this contest but again I will probably vote for Dinoprophet.

icon_biggrin.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching without a clue....

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

I would like to include my avatar in this contest but again I will probably vote for Dinoprophet.

icon_biggrin.gif

I'm an award winning artist now! icon_biggrin.gif

Actually, I'm going to watch from the sidelines with Marky. But I wanted to post here in case that's going to be a requirement to vote. Is it?

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams