Why don't like virtual cache?

rjt

I like some virtuals because they lead me to monuments and other things I would generally ignore. My two favorite is finding Chief Okemos and Theodore Roetke's graves! At least, I think I found Theodore Roetke's grave?

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

migo_sig_logo.jpg

radmanmadewith3dprogram.gif

Faster than a dial-up Internet connection, stronger than any band geek, look up at the sky! ....is it a bat..... no .....is it my grandma's mustache..... NO! IT'S RADMAN Version 2.0! See I even have my own neon sign!

I don't like to trade very often. I think that virtuals are cools if they are done well.

Leave the variety in the game. If you don't like virtuals, just skip them. Why not leave them in the system for those who do like them?

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

I like virtuals. I usually don't trade and the fun to me is the hunt. I have found some great virtuals that have taken me to places I have never been. I have even learned some local history I did not know about because of these virtuals. I enjoy them just as much as physical caches. I think that virtual and physical caches can coexist and live in harmony. Let's start a movement to stop virtual bashing. Next thing you know someone will start a thread about banning ammo cans. icon_smile.gif

Lake Tahoe Geocacher

Most of my GPS knowledge is just from regular use of GPS, not necessary geocaching. But the reason I probably would not do most virtuals is that I think I would feel unfulfilled in not actually finding anything. I like trying to interpret my GPS reading and actually get to a target, not just the general area.

Also most of the area around me is pretty flat and boring, so not a whole lot of neat scenery to see, so a regular cache would at least leave something fun left.

Wyatt W.

I am tired, so I am not sure if I am making sense.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

We like virtual caches and have set some that are popular (from the feedback we've received). If the powers that be don't like virtual caches, then we are all for separating them from the physical caches. Whatever it takes to save them! We also like physical caches, benchmarks and locationless caches. No disrespect meant towards the powers that be...we respect the hard work they do to maintain this hobby.

I find most of the virtuals out there are uninteresting. It seems that people were making virtuals out of every plaque and roadside marker. I'm glad the admins are cracking down on them.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

Except for the one I created. It's cool, of course . . .

But otherwise, most of them are so easy you don't even need a GPS. The Mapquest map will take you to most of them. Also, most of them are pretty lame. Find the name on the tombstone, what date was the church founded, who signed the statue? Who cares? . . .

Truth, be told, mine is just as bad. It's in a cemetery and you have to e-mail me some facts. At least it's a really scenic spot and the person buried there is pretty interesting (she was a giantess). But still, it's a virtual.

I did three recently just to get them off my "nearest caches" search. But otherwise I hardly look at them.

The one exception is for national parks and other places where regular caches are not allowed. If all you can have is a virtual, they're better than nothing.

Though, I think often they are the result of people not wanting to make the effort to place a regular. I tried to post a virtual recently and the administrator got me to agree that even a micro or a stage of a multi would be better. He was right and I intend to follow-up with a micro.

Didn't vote because we like virtuals that take us to see something unique. One local cache took us to an outcropping of rock that contained lots of garnets (low quality but still cool). The kids loved the outing.

Others are not as exciting (statues, etc) and if I do them, I'll usually go by myself. For these, I would say that I don't like them much because they are uninteresting to me personally.

17406_1500.jpg

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. - Dave Barry

I'd rather do a well done virtual than a micro that's hidden in the only stump in the middle of an open field. Let's face it, caches of every catagory can be done well or poorly.

I'm glad for the virtuals I've done. Thanks to them I've seen things that I would never have found on my own (like a piece of the Berlin Wall), and last year we used virtual caches as a kind of tour guide for Washington, DC.

As for the virtuals I've placed (which I've now converted into micro caches), the comment that I saw on several logs was along the lines of, "we've lived around this area for years and never knew this was here." I take a lot of satisfaction in that.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

[This message was edited by CYBret on March 26, 2003 at 05:54 AM.]

Not only do I like Virts I also like nittany dave's avatar.

The thing I don't understand is why it matters if someone creates a virt out of every historic plaque and marker in a state or not.

More work for the admins you say?? Then bring on more admins to take care of that rise in work.

I did not vote either because I like virts and I think that even a pile of doot in the woods could qualify as a good quality virt. icon_biggrin.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

although I wish I could filter them out of my caches yet to be found list.

But I'm not into geocaching for the driving. I want to hike and get out in nature and explore new territory. Not drive around looking for a parking space so I can get out and look at a thing.

X is for X, and X marks the spot, On the rug in the parlor, The sand in the lot, Where once you were standing, And now you are not.

Most are boring...just statues and requirement of getting a date, etc. I still do them though as they might possibly take me to a cool place such as this:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=5517

Hazard put out a fantastic one on Vashon Island, WA:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=52479

In general, if the virtual takes you to a great viewpoint, it gets my vote, but if you can possibly hide a micro there, please do. I like hunting for something.

I like the VCs I have gone out on. If I don't like a cache I don't do it. If you don't like a cache don't do it. Leave the VCs for the cachers that like them. I can see that there have been many repeats of a theme. Cache creators should look at the current list to see if a theme has been done before, I can also say the same thing for TBs. How many 50 state TBs have there been. No, just leave it to those that like them. Maybe GC.com should look into a way for people to filter out the caches that they don't want to do by type of cache and cache size. This would make for more effective searches. I would like to be able to view only the caches I have not done, currently I have to skip ahead 3 pages, or is there a way to filter that out?

Maldar

I've done -1- virtual to see what the fuss was all about and quite frankly I found the exercise boring. Now, I only do a virtual to get it off my list of nearest caches not yet found. If it was up to me, I'd put them in the same class as benchmarks and would not list them among real caches.

My 2.5 cents...

82972_1100.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by -=(GEO)=-:

That I usually don't trade with regular caches. I cache mostly for the pleasure of the hunt and virtuals don't seem to present much of a challenge when MapQuest leads you right to it.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/82972_1100.jpg

Take my Cloud's Rest VC. Sure you all you have to do is get to the top Of the summit of Cloud's Rest in Yosimite, and there is no item or log book. The reward is the view, not to mention the exercise. Depending on the may you climb to the top can be easy or hard, but worth the time to do.

I also like the VC caches that take you to a historical marker. History is the best teacher. Now if only the government would learn that.

Maldar