Fluctuating Etrex Pointer

Guest metro

Guest metro

Sometimes my etrex pointer fluctuates and the distance measurements may vary substantially while I am standing still. Is this caused by satelite interference? Also how much, if any, distance variance is caused if the waypoint coordinates are not carried to the third decimal point. A couple of my cache hunts had only two decimal points and they seemed much harder to pinpoint.

Guest Seamus

I experienced this for the first time today while hunting for a cache. Getting to the general area was the easy part; once there, however, we would get to within 5 to 20 feet of the "target" point, and the reading would suddenly "flip", indicating a point between 40 to 120 feet away in a different direction.

We searched the general area for over an hour without luck, while the GPS unit (a Garmin eMap with the current firmware upgrade) bounced us between three or four points within an area about 75 to 100 feet on a side. Others have reported similar spurrious readings with this cache, and it showed; just about every tree stump in the area showed signs of having been searched for a GeoCache.

Having changed the batteries, re-acquired satellites and power-cycled the unit, we eventually attributed the reading fluctuations to a combination of the trees and hills shading our reception, bad satellite geometry, and bad karma.

The previous searchers reported having found the cache eventually -- we had no such luck. Gonna have to go back for that one later...

-- Seamus

KC5UGQ

Frederick, MD