$5,000,000

kevman42

So I attempted to hide my first cache, found a great spot, figured everything out like I wanted it, and discovered the land I wanted to use didn't belong to the park. It belonged to the airport, as they have to have X amount of land in front and behind the runways.

(Before people start making hidden-on-the-tarmac jokes, this area was tall grass + walking trails + creek...meant for hikes on, and butted up right against the park, no fences or borders)

Anyhow, I contacted the airport, sent a request letter, and got a response that I hadn't anticipated. They were perfectly alright with the cache being placed there, but I had to follow three guidelines:

1) They needed to know the exact location & quantity of geocaches (No problem there)

2) Have a list of names of individual(s) who may enter the property searching for the caches (Well, I guess I could kinda do this...)

3) Have to indemnify the airport for liability, meaning that I had to provide $5,000,000 insurance proof for *each* person that entered the property.

Hmmm...needless to say, I shall continue scouting for another place to put my cache...

Sounds like a perfect spot for a virtual cache. If there are trails and such there does everyone walking on the land have to post a bond? I am guessing that this is another case of administrators not really thinking about the broader scope of the request. You could always make one of the aircraft a travelling cache icon_wink.gif

Interesting. Does the Airport Indemnify you whenever you visit them? Do they indemnify you whenver an airplane flys in the airspace above your house/home/work or even over your own head?

I'd keep on persuing it. Show them the disclaimer on geocaching.com say that since they are not charging a fee they are not able to be sued (this is the law in Idaho, it may not be the law in your neck of the woods).

And if that fails put a virtual one there anyway. It seems clear that they expect people to use this land for hiking and recreation. I doubt the park had to provide a list of all the people who might stray out of bounds of the park and who might visit the airport land.

Wherever you go there you are.