NEW Shop Groundspeak Products

Bryan

730403 GEO 1.75 x 4 In. Small Cache Sticker

Price: $1.25

At 2” x 3.5” this logbook is the same size as a standard business card.

Price: $2.50

Ok, I don't mind spending money on Groundspeak stuff, Fact is I've bought a bunch of it & I've renewed my subscription.

But come on! $1.25 for a decal the size of a film can & $2.50! for a notebook the size of a business card!! Is it even Write In The Rain?

At those prices you should get at least several of each!

PLUS SHIPPING!!

quote:
At those prices you should get at least several of each!

PLUS SHIPPING!!

Is there any way the stickers (and the regular ones) could be set up like Travel Bugs so you could order them and not have to pay so much shipping?

E

Why does somebody always have to complain about the price? Custom items like that made in limited quantities isn't going to be cheap. And somebody has to get paid to process the order for shipping.

19973_600.gif

The adventures of Navdog, Justdog, and Otterpup

I like the micro sticker and the smaller notebook...next time I order a shirt or something else, they will make great add-on items for my order. I was thinking that a real small pen would be a great addition as well...something that could fit in an Altoids...I have been looking all over for them and end up making my own by cutting down a regular sized one, but it gets inky-sloppy and I end up killing 2 or 3 just to get one right....

NavDog

I spent some time in marketing & I just feel these prices are a little high. I did a real quick internet search & came up with some info.

This is the very first place I checked on the internet under imprinted notebooks:

BUSINESS CARD NOTEBOOK. 2"x3-1/2". You provide your business card, back cover 15pt.coated one side, 30 sheets, 20lb. White bond no imprint available. Coil on 2" side. MINIMUM ORDER 500 pcs.

Stock# DRUMBC1

$ 0.85

Second place I tried had them for .48 w/2 color imprint in quantities of several thousand.

Third place had them @ .49 for 5000 w/single color imprint, No art fee

Several other places had them in the .49 - .55 cent price range in as little as 1000 pieces, some printed the cover for you, some you needed to provide a business card.

Only a couple required an art fee & it was usually $40 or less.

Some even included shipping depending on quantities.

So with about 15 minutes effort I found the notebooks priced between .48 & .85.

Even with the most expensive one in the smallest quantity at 100% markup, the notebooks shouldn’t cost more than around $1.75 each.

I’m not faulting Groundspeak for trying to make a profit. Hell they should! I’m just saying that with a little shopping around, they could provide a logo product fairly cheaply.

Wherever you go, there you are!

The yellow micro notepads look like they are similar to the other full size Rite-in the Rain pads which are always considerably more expensive. However, there is no indication on the description for the notepads what they are made of.

19973_600.gif

The adventures of Navdog, Justdog, and Otterpup

Will have to add some of these to my order next time the wife allows me to buy some toys.

The prices are not all that bad. Kinda funny to see folks in the lower 48 complain about shipping charges, thought only us in AK and HI did that. icon_wink.gif

Besides, newer, faster servers cost lots of money.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

[This message was edited by Bilder on July 19, 2003 at 02:08 AM.]

[This message was edited by Bilder on July 19, 2003 at 02:11 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

I was thinking that a real small pen would be a great addition as well...something that could fit in an Altoids...I have been looking all over for them and end up making my own by cutting down a regular sized one, but it gets inky-sloppy and I end up killing 2 or 3 just to get one right....

Off-topic for the thread, but... go to your local office-supply store and look for refills for Rotring pens. The ones I found are about 2 1/2" long and about 3/32" in diameter, and I got 5 of them in various colors for something like $3. Then wrap a few layers of duct tape or something similar around one for a gripping surface, and you have your own little pen that won't make an inky mess. (I actually use them as refills for my Pilot Pentopia Chameleon, because the refills that are made for that pen are nearly impossible to find, and a few seconds with a belt sander adapts the Rotring refill to the purpose.)

pirate.cgi.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Crusso:

NavDog

I spent some time in marketing & I just feel these prices are a little high. I did a real quick internet search & came up with some info.

This is the very first place I checked on the internet under imprinted notebooks:

BUSINESS CARD NOTEBOOK. 2"x3-1/2". You provide your business card, back cover 15pt.coated one side, 30 sheets, 20lb. White bond no imprint available. Coil on 2" side. MINIMUM ORDER 500 pcs.

Stock# DRUMBC1

$ 0.85

Second place I tried had them for .48 w/2 color imprint in quantities of several thousand.

Third place had them @ .49 for 5000 w/single color imprint, No art fee

Several other places had them in the .49 - .55 cent price range in as little as 1000 pieces, some printed the cover for you, some you needed to provide a business card.

Only a couple required an art fee & it was usually $40 or less.

Some even included shipping depending on quantities.

So with about 15 minutes effort I found the notebooks priced between .48 & .85.

Even with the most expensive one in the smallest quantity at 100% markup, the notebooks shouldn’t cost more than around $1.75 each.

I’m not faulting Groundspeak for trying to make a profit. Hell they should! I’m just saying that with a little shopping around, they could provide a logo product fairly cheaply.

Wherever you go, there you are!

Thanks for the excellent analysis, Navdog. I realize that it is not mentioned in the mini-logbook description or visible in the product photo (I am going to request that a new photo be taken for display) but the back of the logbook is also printed. It contains almost the same text as is contained on the back of the larger Rite in The Rain Logbook. As you know, more printing equals higher product cost. I hope this makes the price seem more reasonable.

Confirmed, Groundspeak is making a profit on sales of Shop Groundspeak merchandise. Combined with premium member subscriptions and some advertising revenue, it helps us keep the site running and provides us with tools and resources to make it better.

We will continue to do our best to come up with fun and cool products for the geocaching community and truly appreciate everyone's ongoing support.

Happy Geocaching!

Sincerely,

frog.gif Rothstafari

Groundspeak

quote:
Originally posted by Rothstafari:

Thanks for the excellent analysis, Navdog. I realize that it is not mentioned in the mini-logbook description or visible in the product photo (I am going to request that a new photo be taken for display) but the back of the logbook is also printed. It contains almost the same text as is contained on the back of the larger http://shop.Groundspeak.com/productDetail.cfm?CategoryID=4&ProductID=11#. As you know, more printing equals higher product cost. I hope this makes the price seem more reasonable.

Confirmed, Groundspeak is making a profit on sales of Shop Groundspeak merchandise. Combined with premium member subscriptions and some advertising revenue, it helps us keep the site running and provides us with tools and resources to make it better.

We will continue to do our best to come up with fun and cool products for the geocaching community and truly appreciate everyone's ongoing support.

Happy Geocaching!

Sincerely,

frog.gif Rothstafari

Groundspeak

So these are Rite in the Rain paper? Sorry, I may be slow or something, just haven't seen anyone actually say it really is yet. If it is, then it is plenty worth it.

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

quote:
Originally posted by Team Kender:

So these are Rite in the Rain paper? Sorry, I may be slow or something, just haven't seen anyone actually say it really is yet. If it is, then it is plenty worth it.

The new micro-cache logbooks are not printed with Rite in the Rain paper. Unfortunately, they would have been much too expensive. We decided to go with regular paper in order to keep the price reasonable. Only the large logbooks are Rite in the Rain.

frog.gif Rothstafari

Groundspeak

quote:
Originally posted by UFBuilder:

What happened to all the T-shirts??!! It's about 100* in the shade at 3AM down here!

Due to hot weather all over, there was some serious demand for the t-shirts and they sold out quickly. The Cache in Trash Out T-shirts will be back in stock by the end of the week.

The geocaching.com t-shirts have been discontinued so that we can replace them with a new t-shirt. The new t-shirt is being produced on Thursday and should be in stock early next week.

frog.gif Rothstafari

Groundspeak

quote:

Due to hot weather all over, there was some serious demand for the t-shirts and they sold out quickly. The Cache in Trash Out T-shirts will be back in stock by the end of the week.

Still plenty of Groundspeak Licensed CITO Gear at my place.... and other t-shirts and tank-tops as well.

skydiver-sig.gif

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

quote:
Originally posted by Dream Alchemist:

Skydiver I was visiting your site, how much starch did you put in those T's to get them to sit like that for the photo? icon_biggrin.gif

No starch necessary. I put them in my antigravitron chamber to take the pictures. icon_wink.gif

skydiver-sig.gif

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

quote:

The geocaching.com t-shirts have been discontinued so that we can replace them with a new t-shirt. The new t-shirt is being produced on Thursday and should be in stock early next week.

frog.gif Rothstafari

Groundspeak

Am I correct in assuming that if an item disappears, such as the "regular" geocache stickers, then it is out of stock? Are these being redesigned also? If so, wouldn't it be better to put a new image with 'TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE' on the page?

Just curious,

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

quote:
Originally posted by TNRonin:

Just a thought, but wouldn't a soap container work well for a mini cache? You know the type that overlaps? Just a thought.

It wouldn't be watertight. That's usually a problem, but depending on your application it might work...

Ron/yumitori

---

Remember what the dormouse said...

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

But if you go to your local office-supply store, you are burning fossil fuels and adding to the already crowded city streets. Ordering from Groundspeak is more environmentally friendly. Isn't the extra dollar or two worth that?

And the mailman doesn't? Nor the big trucks and airplanes that move the products?

Sorry couldn't resist icon_biggrin.gif, but i'm sure someone is going to signify this as putting impact on the environment just like caching...lol

I do support buying things from Groundspeak, as they said it helps them make things better and supports them. Keep it up!

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

quote:
Originally posted by yumitori:

It wouldn't be watertight. That's usually a problem, but depending on your application it might work...

Ron/yumitori

Just a quick thought. When it overlaps wouldn't it be somewhat more w/t than the altoids or CD tin? I'm talking about the two piece overlapping style, not the hinged version. Just a thought.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Maxpedition Hard Use Nylon Gear

quote:
Originally posted by TNRonin:

Just a quick thought. When it overlaps wouldn't it be somewhat more w/t than the altoids or CD tin? I'm talking about the two piece overlapping style, not the hinged version. Just a thought.

Depends, I suppose. The soap boxes I've seen have relatively loose lids. Regardless, altoids and CD containers also leak. The only AOL CD tins I aware of in use around here only contain plastic-coated sheets, as stages in a multi-cache.

Ron/yumitori

---

Remember what the dormouse said...

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

But if you go to your local office-supply store, you are burning fossil fuels and adding to the already crowded city streets. Ordering from Groundspeak is more environmentally friendly. Isn't the extra dollar or two worth that?

And the mailman doesn't?

The mailman is coming to your house anyway, he's not making a special trip.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

I ordered the new micro stickers and log book (and a bunch of other stuff) and I like them but I do have one complaint/suggestion/observation.

The log book is just a little too long for an Altoids tin...

I suppose I could just take a paper cutter to it, but there's all that nifty writing on the back.

Were they intended to fit into Altoids tins? Cause that's the very first thing I thought of when I saw them.

Ode to a Pigeon: Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, You Lookin' at Me? YOU LOOKIN' AT ME?! (b. katt, 7/14/03)