Would Geocaching be more enjoyable if...

Minex

I don't know if this has been asked or not yet, but I'd be curious on the results. Would you enjoy geocaching more if GPS Units were 100% accurate. ie, the unit would always take you directly to the cache (no hunting around).

[This message was edited by Minex on October 24, 2002 at 02:46 PM.]

At the beginning of the summer I would have said more enjoyable if GPSr's were more accurate . . now I'm not so sure.

After a season of developing my technique of caching compass in one hand and GPS in the other I'd have to say that I really enjoyed the challenge the leaf cover added to it.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

Yes, the more accurate the better. If you wanted something inaccurate I could post coords several hundred feet off to make it 'more fun'. icon_smile.gificon_rolleyes.gif

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

You asked if we would like it more/less, but then make us pick Yes or No. Yes means I do like it more/less? And no means I don't like it more/less? icon_wink.gif I think you should change Yes to More and No to Less in the poll. icon_eek.gif

--Marky

I think we should spend more time caching and less time polling.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

You asked if we would like it more/less, but then make us pick Yes or No. Yes means I do like it more/less? And no means I don't like it more/less? icon_wink.gif I think you should change Yes to More and No to Less in the poll. icon_eek.gif

--Marky

I think we should spend more time caching and less time polling.

I think we should spend more time caching and less time talking about spending more time caching and less time polling.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

Yes, the more accurate the better. If you wanted something inaccurate I could post coords several hundred feet off to make it 'more fun'. icon_smile.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Well, if accuracy is the issue, then you'll want one of these.

env_survey.jpg

As I recall from the thread about the miners trapped in Pennsylvania, they cost $60,000 and are accurate to within a centimeter.

If that's a tad pricey, you're going to have to deal with inaccuracies of one kind or another (human error, mechanical error, environmental problems). The fact that you can find anything under tree cover with a handheld means you've already learned how to have fun with the inaccuracies.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

I like a little inaccuracy-it leaves me believing that I have a little skill and that the machine is not the whole game.

I know, I know-without the machine I got squat, but I still like the fantasy!

Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers. - Socrates

Cybret,

A surveyor friend of mine gets to use those but I have yet to get out with him to check it out. The price is right though for the lower end.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

quote:
Originally posted by Cachier:

If GPSr's were 100% accurate, there would be no need to hide the cache. Just throw it out on the ground in the open and stumble over it when the GPS-O-meter reads zero. No sport here folks!

So the hike to the cache, or the puzzle you had to solve to get the coords, or whatever.... those mean nothing?

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

quote:
Originally posted by Cachier:

If GPSr's were 100% accurate, there would be no need to hide the cache. Just throw it out on the ground in the open and stumble over it when the GPS-O-meter reads zero. No sport here folks!

So the hike to the cache, or the puzzle you had to solve to get the coords, or whatever.... those mean nothing?

http://216.202.195.127/warm.gif

Of course they mean something if the object of your outing is to hike and solve puzzles. If your going to make the cache obvious to find, you might as well make it a virtual. You know how 'warm and fuzzy' people on this board are about virtuals. icon_wink.gif I happen to enjoy all aspects of the geocaching experience including a little head scratching when I get there. icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry for the late reply. Just revisited the thread this evening.

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."