geocaching... GeoCaching... GEOCACHING!!! YAY!!!!

This is a topic I just wanted to create to go beyond the set of "eco-worry" or "will we be banned from park XYZ worry" or "gun worry" or "whatever worry" threads (all important!)....

...but to go beyond those, and just simply jump up and say HOO-RAY!, YIPEE! YAY! (and for Jolly B.) HOODY-HOO! for the pure pleasure that Geo-Caching brings!

...It's great! Wonderful! Has brought joy to both my wife and I - and brought us more together, because we SHARE this joy! It's a blast! It immediately removes the cares and worries from work - in a matter of seconds!!

YAY for GEOCACHING!!!

Clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap .... cheer cheer cheer cheer clap cheer cheer clap cap...

...if you feel the same, join in!!

-Joel and Fran

I couldn't have said it better myself. My two kids and I have more fun Geocaching than I would have thought possible before we started. They have been indoctrinated early (ages 8 and 11) so they should (?) keep up their intrest into their teens??? Oh well, I can hope. We have been places we would NEVER have gone, and enjoyed the outdoors in a new and wonderful way. It gives me the opportunity to teach them a responsible way to use our outdoor resources, and to care what happens to them. Our recent trip to Yellowstone National Park was a great trip, and we also hit 16 caches and created three virtuals, it was GREAT! We saw spots in New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Utah that we would have had no idea existed withtout Geocaching and that adds more to the sport than a couple of toys or trinkets that we might get out of a cache. The experience and the places we went were much more exciting and fulfilling.

Thanks to Groundspeak, Jeremy Irish and friends, and to the Geocaching community for creating and maintaining a wonderful sport/activity that is as fun and wholesome as I could want a family activity to be. As a single dad it is a wonderful thing to share with the kiddos. I thank you, my children, Jeffrey and Brittney, thank you, and wish you well.

Keep on caching! Come to Texas, go to my caches!! icon_biggrin.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!"

I couldn't have said it better myself. My two kids and I have more fun Geocaching than I would have thought possible before we started. They have been indoctrinated early (ages 8 and 11) so they should (?) keep up their intrest into their teens??? Oh well, I can hope. We have been places we would NEVER have gone, and enjoyed the outdoors in a new and wonderful way. It gives me the opportunity to teach them a responsible way to use our outdoor resources, and to care what happens to them. Our recent trip to Yellowstone National Park was a great trip, and we also hit 16 caches and created three virtuals, it was GREAT! We saw spots in New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Utah that we would have had no idea existed withtout Geocaching and that adds more to the sport than a couple of toys or trinkets that we might get out of a cache. The experience and the places we went were much more exciting and fulfilling.

Thanks to Groundspeak, Jeremy Irish and friends, and to the Geocaching community for creating and maintaining a wonderful sport/activity that is as fun and wholesome as I could want a family activity to be. As a single dad it is a wonderful thing to share with the kiddos. I thank you, my children, Jeffrey and Brittney, thank you, and wish you well.

Keep on caching! Come to Texas, go to my caches!! icon_biggrin.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!"

I share your enthusiasm, but in my case it started out as family affair, and one by one I lost caching partners. Now it's just little ole me caching in the wilderness all alone and loving it! There is something to say about time with one's self. Once in a while Little Lila goes out with on a day of 1/1's and we have our Mother/Daughter time together which is great.

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

I'm right there with Breaktrack.

Stumbled across geocaching doing research on the net, and thought I'd check it out. Hooked ever since.

Me loves it! Great exercise, and a good hunt that gets my mind going, body working and Me away from the job, the keyboard, the monitor, and the stress.

MyBoys love it too. 9 & 11, it's teaching them skills they'll need and critical thinking. We thoroughly enjoy every park/place/thing we find, and hope to travel to others.

MyBoys&Me want to promote geocaching in our neighborhood, but our proposed method does not sit well with the Administration. Check it out.

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=6290963925

Started with Me, added MyBoys, have brought guests and told many others. Got more trash than cache so far, but that's ok. We're so new, we don't even have a GPS unit, but we'll get there.

EEK! you just stepped on an endangered plant!

icon_razz.gif MyBoys&Me

I'm right there with Breaktrack.

Stumbled across geocaching doing research on the net, and thought I'd check it out. Hooked ever since.

Me loves it! Great exercise, and a good hunt that gets my mind going, body working and Me away from the job, the keyboard, the monitor, and the stress.

MyBoys love it too. 9 & 11, it's teaching them skills they'll need and critical thinking. We thoroughly enjoy every park/place/thing we find, and hope to travel to others.

MyBoys&Me want to promote geocaching in our neighborhood, but our proposed method does not sit well with the Administration. Check it out.

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=6290963925

Started with Me, added MyBoys, have brought guests and told many others. Got more trash than cache so far, but that's ok. We're so new, we don't even have a GPS unit, but we'll get there.

EEK! you just stepped on an endangered plant!

icon_razz.gif MyBoys&Me

....my wife is all but addicted. I enjoy it, don't get me wrong, but she is like "just one more cache" or "we are SO close to this or that one". I don't mind, except when my stomach is still churning after eating a sack of 10 White Castle hamburgers. Then, well, we can always cache tomorrow. icon_wink.gif

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

....my wife is all but addicted. I enjoy it, don't get me wrong, but she is like "just one more cache" or "we are SO close to this or that one". I don't mind, except when my stomach is still churning after eating a sack of 10 White Castle hamburgers. Then, well, we can always cache tomorrow. icon_wink.gif

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

Gander & I are going to these really cool parks we didn't even know existed. The big gossling loves those "treasures"! The little gossling just loves being out of the house & avoiding naptime! As for naptime, they do eventually insist we take them home to rest. Happened today, when we finished finding 3 caches & after lunch, Gootz & Gander wanted to explore a park to hide a cache & big gossling wanted to go home to take a nap!!! Ahh, the life of a two-yr-old!

I found out about geocaching through a post on the letterboxing site. Well, Lizardbutt loves geocaching for the hunt of the toys. Lizardbutt's sister likes both goecaching and letterboxing. Dad likes gadgets, so the GPS is fun. BUT I(Mom) enjoy the great hikes we have done, and the big reward of discovering new parks. We have had some great summertime picnics while out hunting for caches. AT our last outting we came across some backberries. We gather up enough to make a wonderful pie(first blackberry pie for the kids). icon_smile.gif

I found out about geocaching through a post on the letterboxing site. Well, Lizardbutt loves geocaching for the hunt of the toys. Lizardbutt's sister likes both goecaching and letterboxing. Dad likes gadgets, so the GPS is fun. BUT I(Mom) enjoy the great hikes we have done, and the big reward of discovering new parks. We have had some great summertime picnics while out hunting for caches. AT our last outting we came across some backberries. We gather up enough to make a wonderful pie(first blackberry pie for the kids). icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Bear & Ting:

except when my stomach is still churning after eating a sack of 10 White Castle hamburgers.

Ummmmmmmmmmm White Castle burgers !!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

quote:
Originally posted by Bear & Ting:

except when my stomach is still churning after eating a sack of 10 White Castle hamburgers.

Ummmmmmmmmmm White Castle burgers !!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

How did I miss this thread?

HIP HIP HOORAY!

HIP HIP HOORAY!

HIP HIP HOORAY!

GOOOOOOOO CACHING!

I haven't seen a White Castle in years! Are there any in CT? Does anyone know? All I ever see are the frozen ones in the store and that's just not the same.

Planet

I have been having a blast since I started this wonderful hobby/sport/activity.

Have been working on placing my first night cache this week with another area cacher. It has been the most fun I have had in a long time.

The wife even is getting into it. Anything that can pry her away from the computer and Days of Our Lives is worth it!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

Well it was I icon_biggrin.gif (wife) that found Geocaching. I am considered the computer nerd in our family. I just happened to be surfing for computer gadgets and one that came up was a GPS. I knew what a GPS receiver was, but considered them for fisherman or something that is installed in a car. icon_razz.gif Anyway, read further and found this new tech game. I was intrigued and read tons of the cache sites. I was hooked right from the start. My husband and kids did not really understand the whole game idea at first, but I dragged them along anyway, (I’m consider as the boss in our family too, so they really did not have a say in the matter). icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

We did our first few without the GPS’r until ours arrived in the mail. Now everyone is addicted. The kids love it so much, as soon as we get close to a cache; they jump out of the truck running in whatever direction I tell them the cache is in. Now they ask how many feet it is away, and count their steps to the cache. That actually has worked more than once. Sometimes they fight about who found the cache first.

We are still considered newbies at this, and we have introduced all our friends and family to the game. My in-laws are more into it than we are, or at least they have more money and time to do it. It has been so good for all of us. I am still so impressed with all the places we have been because of Geocaching. This is truly a family oriented game, with tons of history, knowledge and entertainment.

I have yet to hear anything really bad about this game and doubt there ever will be.

icon_smile.gif

quote:
Ahhhh......the moist nose of a German Wirehaired Pointer!

Irvingdog:

I thought I recognized the look of a Drathaar in that picture, then you verified it with your signature line. Great dogs. I wish ours were still around. I can imagine that he is a great caching companion judging from the temperament that ours had.

Happy cachin'

I KNOW I'll find it if I just keep LOOKING!

Add my claps and cheers and hoots and various other noisy affirmations of the enjoyment I get out of geocaching.

And again for those that take the time to make and place caches that give us something to find.

Same goes for those who run and maintain this site, which is a fantastic tool for cachers everywhere (I think a lot of stress on the forum stems form the fact that gc.com is a tool for us to use, it does not, in itself, define geocaching).

What is caches precious?

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

HOO-RAY!, YIPEE! YAY! (and for Jolly B.) HOODY-HOO! for the pure pleasure that Geo-Caching brings!

Hey, a big HOODY HOO right back at ya. icon_biggrin.gif

I know the feeling. I've been having a blast caching myself. Nobody understands my pasion for the sport. (except you guys of course.)

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"I'd like to buy the world a coke, but I only have fifty cents"

If there is a sport that was made for ME, it's geocaching.

The surprising part of the discovery has been all of the wayyyy kewl geocachers that I have met. So HOOOOORAYYYYYYY!!! For all the geocachers too. All the best caching memories that I have are of event caches.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

If you are not failing now and again, it's a sign you're playing it safe. - Woody Allen

I agree. This is a cool game that has shown me a slew of great places, some exotic and some in my own backyard. I can do it when I want, how I want and where I want. I get to see the patterns of visitors to caches I've visited, enjoy the visits to my own caches, and meet others with similar interests in the surreal virtual reality of the forums and in the reality of woods. I've cached via kayak, via airplane and via car. I've cached on mountaintops and on islands, in cities and in swamps. Well, you all know what it's about.

My hat is off to the fine work by GC.com people for their efforts and patience in providing us with this glorious way to wander around this excellent planet we live on. Another satisfied customer... THANKS

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

Geocachers make geocaching fun. Without them, there would be no caches to find, and no finders for our caches. Amazingly, we now even seem to have a social life of sorts due to all the geocaching events and group geocaching days and the impromptu dinners. A big thanks to all the great people in our area who geocache. Hope to see you out on the trail.

--Marky

...Be nice to your fellow geocachers, they might be Hemlock...