Cache survives three days under water...

Had to post this. Last Summer I placed a cache called Castle Falls Cache in Indianapolis along the river. A few weeks ago Indiana was hit with floods. The entire area my cache had been placed in was reported to be underwater for at least three days. Perhaps more.

Last weekend I went to Indy to replace it (thinking it surely had washed away.) I was amazed to find it still in it's hiding place. I'd also forgotten that I had hidden the cache by placing a chunk of concrete over it.

Fortunately those who found and logged the cache replaced the concrete block and it was kept in place.

But the amazing thing is the contents were bone dry. INcluding the logbook and a pack of tissues somebody had put in the container.

The container was a screw top Rubbermaid Collector's Jar. Cost about four bucks. This experience has pretty much made the collector jar my cache container of choice.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

quote:
Originally posted by Og's outfit:

That's a great testimonial!

I've never heard of screw-type rubbermaid containers. Where did you buy it?

OG

Prophetically Challenged (or is that Pathetically?)

YOu can find them at Walmart. there are two sizes I believe. Made of a very rugged clear plastic which doesn't crack or break when frozen.

I usually roughen up the surface with steel wool or sandpaper and paint them flat green or tan.

I believe one of my caches contains a picture of one. I'll have to go search and see. If it's there I'll post a link.

Jolly R. Blackburn

Sounds like a good container and well placed! I'll have to search for those myself, though no Wal-Marts around here, just Target. Do you remember the actual name of the Rubbermaid item?

Found a cache several weeks ago that is in a plastic olive container with a screw-top. It's been sitting in the middle of a marsh for over a year and everything inside is bone dry. Pretty impressive!

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

I have had good luck with these containers also. I am currently using ammo cans and these containers for all of my hides. There are a couple of drawbacks:

1. The opening is not sufficiently large for some trade items.

2. The container is light enough that it must be secured in some way to prevent it from being carried away by the wind or curious varmit.

Johnny

I couldn't find COLLECTOR JARS on Rubbermaids website, but I bet wide mouth Nalgene containers are probably similar and just as waterproof. I have a few left over from my pre-Platypus backpacking days. They are OK, but as Questmaster says, its hard to get larger items into (or out of) the container.

Though Rubbermaid products do make pretty good cache containers, I'm still partial to ammo boxes. They are actually cheaper (unless you find the Rubbermaind on sale) and not prone to crack in cold weather.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by SLCDave:

Sounds like a GREAT container! I'd also like to know where to find one of those. Cheaper and more water-resistant than any ammo can I've ever had!

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

Ammo boxes rule in my book. I found one that had been flooded over for a few days up in the Duvall area and foudn the contents to be in excellent condition after the Snoqualmie river dropped.

However, I'm interested in checking out that rubbermaid container mentioned and I also like those lock snap ones...they have a rubber seal in them. Work very well.

Sure, those rubbermaid containers are just fine for keeping things dry. But lets just suppose a tree falls on one. Then what? I had a huge tree fall on one of my caches and the ammo can was smashed into the soggy ground. Just a minor dent was all that happened. Actually, I was quite surprised that was all the damage that I found.

Team Smoke

I have a few of those collector jars out for caches....

I don't like them, but the ranger requested a clear container. You also want to make sure they are placed in a well shaded spot....otherwise you have a major condensation problem with them.

My ammo boxes on the otherhand I don't need to worry about. the one has been flooded several times, and the contents stay nice and dry.

my .02 cents

Give me a Tall ship, and a Star to steer her bye...

The White Fleet....

I get those at Walmart and they are great! I've had one go through a winter here in New England and is still in good shape. They are also fun to hide! So many things you can do with them! They come in two sizes I believe. Round or square, also.

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

I get those at Walmart and they are great! I've had one go through a winter here in New England and is still in good shape. They are also fun to http://users.bestweb.net/~ttepee/camocont.JPG So many things you can do with them! They come in two sizes I believe. Round or square, also.

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

Yes they hold up very well through winter. I've had one out in the bush for two years now. (Root Hollow). They don't seem to crack in freezing weather. At least it hasn't been a problem for me.

Never had a tree fall on any of my caches either. So I think I'll just have to risk it. ;D

Ammo cans are fine I suppose. But I don't use them myself. Just a personal preference.

Jolly R. Blackburn