Intermediate Coordinates

Guest BletchleyPark

Guest BletchleyPark

Although I am new to geocaching, I have quite a bit of experience navigating with a compass. The person hiding the last cache I found published the coords of the cache and a nearby vista with fantastic views. I chose to use the GPS to get to the vista and to use the compass to get to the cache. For me, it was great fun to have this option.

I think that the idea of intermediate coords (say 100m+ or so away from the cache) offers folks a choice for the final leg. The intermediate coords would also allow for a reading in an open area with reduced reception problems (tree cover, rocks, buildiings, etc).

Whadda ya think?

BP

We have something called "offset caches." They've been grouped into multicaches now, but it's the same idea. Have a coordinate to some noticeable object, then provide information so you can use a compass (or clue, etc) to locate the cache. People have a lot of fun with this.

Jeremy

bout doing myself) is fine as far as I'm concerned. THe main heading cache coordinates would be the intermediate waypoint and the final coordinates could be listed on the cache page along with some thing like 75 feet (or meters) at a bearing of 115 degress true. The cacher would have the option of going to the final whichever way they want.

Check with Jeremy who runs the geochaching site to see what he thinks.

Alan

Guest T-storm

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

THe main heading cache coordinates would be the intermediate waypoint and the final coordinates could be listed on the cache page along with some thing like 75 feet (or meters) at a bearing of 115 degress true.

Here's an example of a cache that contains an element like you describe:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=5479

It's a multicache, listed coords put seekers at a starting place for clue gathering, and clues direct them to the first stage of the cache much as you describe. Of course it's one of ours! tongue.gif

------------------

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching