How long is long enough?

Deadreckoning

icon_frown.gifDEAR ABBY...

I like to hide caches just as much as finding them. Is there a rule or code that caches must stay put in one location for a certian lenght of time?

I prefer to recycle caches if they have not been found for a month or so.

Please help.... Rookie in Portland

PS how the hell do i get that little picture thing to past on the left side.

I'd say that a month is way too little time. I have caches that go 3-4 months without a find, then suddenly will get a bunch. There are always new geocachers picking up the sport, vacationers and business travellers passing through and even local Geocachers who may have your cache on their to-do list. Why deny them the opportunity to look for your cache?

If it's in an interesting spot and not harming the surroundings, then why not leave it? Of course, they're you're caches, so you do as you please with them.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I'd say that a month is way too little time. ... There are always new geocachers picking up the sport, vacationers and business travellers passing through and even local Geocachers who may have your cache on their to-do list. Why deny them the opportunity to look for your cache?

I laughed out loud at the last sentence quoted above ... The likelyhood is new or traveling geocachers wouldn't have known about an archived cache anyway, and when it comes to local geocachers who have a cache on their to-do list, the question should not be "why deny them the opportunity" but rather "why did they fail to take advantage of the opportunity you had presented them." There are few guarantees ...

Of course, it is entirely possible that newbies/vacationing/traveling geocachers printed out caches they wanted to seek in advance. Because of this, I usually leave my caches in place for a couple of weeks after archiving them, just in case.

I also agree that one month is too short a time by which to judge a cache's 'success,' but I think that in most cases a cache owner should have a pretty good idea of how successful a cache is after two or three months.

Periods of inactivity are to be expected, but I think that if a cache of 'normal' difficulty remains unvisited through 6 months of 'cacheable' weather, then the owner might want to consider archiving the cache ... if they decided to, they could always re-use the location at a later date or in a different manner.

Caches of higher difficulty ratings could probably sit unvisited for a year or more ... but any cache that sits unvisited for an extended period needs to receive a maintenance/re-verification visit, with a note posted to the cache page. (Too many owners disappear and abandon their cache pages.)