world wide distribution of caches

rooboy

Apologies if this is a little off topic. I am preparing to travel out of the USA this weekend (to the land of Kangaroos) and so I got to looking at the Bux*** web maps for the world because I wanted to do some geocaching while travelling. I guess I was a little surprised by the distribution of geocaches across the world. Has anyone else noticed this uneven distribution--yet the GPS thing is global. Any thoughts on why this could be so? Are language, wealth , and population the largest factors?

USA has 73% of all gc geocaches (58380 geocaches)

UK has 3%

France < 0.5%

Germany 4.5%

Italy < 0.3%

Australia ~2.4%

India 0.018% (total of 15 geocaches)

Japan 0.086 (total of 68 geocaches)

NZ 0.65%

Russia --a total of 11 geocaches

Canada, isn't that the 51st state of the United States? Oops! That's right, the Queen on Australia is also the Queen of Canada, so Canada is part of the Commonwealth and not the USA! icon_smile.gif

What happened to Canada, well it looked pretty normal, coming in at around 5.8%. Which is twice the Australian number for approximately the same population. So maybe Canada is not so "normal" after all.

Could this distribution be related to the cost of GPSr's? I know that GPSr's purchased in Australia are not cheap as those purchased here in the USA.

Ciao

RooBoy

My cache is going to Adelaide probably 250 + - miles North/West of Melbourne. Maybe TeamRaider will hide it in time for you to find it. Not that you would drive that far to find it.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

This is a interesting question! (The original one) I prepared a statistic, originated by the Finland entering the Top10 hidden cache list.

I rearranged the data to inhabitants per cache:

rank persons/cache    inhabitants  persons/cache1    6. Sweden          8875000	  47742    1. United States 281420000	  48143    3. Canada         32207113   69464    8. New Zealand     4000000	  66785    5. Australia      19834248  102246   10. Finland         5211311  133977    7. Netherlands    16150000  198408    3. Germany        83251851  233009     United Kingdom   60094000	 2375310   9. Hungary        10106000  24830

But what does that mean?

Stupidity has a certain charm - ignorance does not. (FZ)

[This message was edited by DocW on November 05, 2003 at 05:20 AM.]

Originally posted by J&MBella:

My cache is going to Adelaide probably 250 + - miles North/West of Melbourne. [uNQUOTE]

Bummer! I had relatives who live in Adelaide here in September! They have now been turned on to geocaching--I even bought them a GPSr here and shipped it to them. (See above for the huge difference in prices US vs. Oz) Can you send me the waypoint once it is hidden? I will get my nephews to go and find it!

Cheers!

OzGuff

I don't know for the other countries, but for France, language is obviously one of the reason why there are so few caches/geocachers. People in France are usually not big fans of foreign languages. Another reason would be the price of the GPS units ; they can cost twice as much as what we pay in Canada. Note that the situation is similar if you compare Ontario and Quebec.

quote:
Originally posted by RooBoy:]

Any thoughts on why this could be so? Are language, wealth , and population the largest factors?

Personally I would guess, public exposure to the idea, and availability of gps units are big factors. If there are no cachers/caches, no news stories about caching(which would typically be about the cachers/cache you don't have), how are you going to find out about caching? Then even if you find out, and you either can't get a gps or they are expensive, your not going likely to cache. True, you could try without a gps, but that takes some of the appeal away (and would make it more difficult to place new caches).

I kind of discount the language part a bit. Im sure some people are put off by descriptions in another language, but if you can get the waypoint into the gps correctly your 'halfway there'. There are also cache descriptions or in some cases whole websites in non-english languages (dutch, german and a few others, right?). But again, to get those things you need the cachers/caches to use them.

-------------------------------

"You see, if a group is going to represent people, it needs to be in touch with those people." -Frolickin

[This message was edited by welch on November 05, 2003 at 12:16 PM.]

That's it for the French jokes. Please stay on-topic and remember that we do have geocachers from France who participate in this forum.

|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|

Keystone Approver, Geocaching.com Admin

"Eschewing Entropy and Ensuring Enthalpy in the Groundspeak Forums"

quote:
Originally posted by Keystone Approver:

That's it for the French jokes. Please stay on-topic and remember that we do have geocachers from France who participate in this forum.

|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|

Keystone Approver, Geocaching.com Admin

"Eschewing Entropy and Ensuring Enthalpy in the Groundspeak Forums"

icon_rolleyes.gif

I can understand Russia, due to cost of tech, availability of costly tech, and they have their alternate system: Glonass.

I think it has more to do with promotion (in which language is a factor). If you think of how most discover geocaching, many by word-of-mouth from existing cachers, a few by hearing media reports, and a few by websearching GPS or related items/activities (letterboxing, where's george, bookcrossing).

I'm thinking Where's George isn't so popular except where they forge our money and want to be entertained how pervasive their forgeries become! Heh..

Enjoy,

Randy

I don't think, that it has to do with price of GPS units or income or other social reasons.

GPSr are also very expensive in Germany (you pay 400$ for a MeriGold or nearly 200$ for a Geko201), Germany and France are somehow on the same level of income, people have the same level of education, Germany is Nr 3 in placed caches and has a higher cache density than the US, but France is a cache desert! The majority of France's caches are in Paris area and most of them are (vacation) caches placed by US visitors. It is very rare to find a original french cache.

They have beautiful and scenic landscape, which would be a perfect background for caching.

What makes the difference? Only the language? I don't believe this! To understand and love the concept of hunting tupperboxes can evolve without using the same language.

Total dislike of any US-habit? Naah! (some posts would support this, but thats too simple)

Other serious ideas?

Stupidity has a certain charm - ignorance does not. (FZ)

Must...control....humor....arrrrggggg.

I am sorry if my previous comments about a certain nation were found to be offensive. It was not my intention to alienate or single out any group. From now on I will attempt to post my elitist American humor in a variety of languages so that all may enjoy.

Understand what? My purpose? You know that. To find the Tower is my purpose. I'm sworn.

-Roland, The Gunslinger

quote:
Originally posted by DocW (about France):

They have beautiful and scenic landscape, which would be a perfect background for caching.

I agree, that's a pity. I am french but live in Canada, and last summer, I wanted to introduce my brothers to geocaching, but there was only 1 cache within 60km from where my parents live, and... we didn't find it [icon_frown.gif]

quote:
What makes the difference? Only the language? I don't believe this! To understand and love the concept of hunting tupperboxes can evolve without using the same language.

I'm sorry, but I really think language is the key; even if Germany and France are very similar countries, I guess that people just don't have the same languages habits; most of the french people just don't speak english, and the only good candidates for geocaching in France would be young techies. I'm pretty sure you won't find a lot of french geocachers over 30. I hope/guess it will change, people start to understand how important foreign languages are, but it will take some time. How different is it in Germany, do people over 30-40 usually speak english?

quote:
Total dislike of any US-habit? Naah! (some posts would support this, but thats too simple)

What a good reason! [icon_wink.gif] ... but no.

quote:
Other serious ideas?

Lack of public exposure, as welch suggested.

Note that language is an issue for France, but probably not an issue in general; it has to do with the way foreign languages were/are considered in France.

As an American cacher living in France, I am more than a little frustrated by the extreme lack of caches here. I'm gonna try to personally change that situation in the Paris region while I'm here by placing a bunch, but one man can only do so much. I wouldn't say language is an issue because countries like Belgium, Germany, and the Netherlands have thousands of caches between them, with cache pages in their native languages (there's no reliance on knowledge of English). I would say that geocaching simply hasn't taken off in France yet, due to the expense of GPS units and a general ignorance about the sport. There is, however, a large subculture here that enjoys hiking, and there are thousands of miles of trails, some of them criscrossing the entire country, known as "Grand Randonnees," which would be ideal for cache placements. Perhaps these people with a similar interest could be enlisted to lead the charge... One day, I hope, France will be as rich in caches as she is in fine wines! icon_wink.gif

I'm French, living and actively caching here in the US.

Everytime I read cracks about the French in these forums, I just find it amusing. I have to say that the joke 'Their ammo cans are still full' was pretty funny icon_wink.gif

But more on topic, France is behind mostly because of the cost of the GPSrs: I saw my MeriPlat in a REI-like store in Paris for $585! Even the cost of the Yellow eTrex was insane.

Oh and btw, I have one of the few 'real' caches in Paris. Turns out that only non-French people have found it so far in almost a year. Amazing.

Regards,

Fabien.

Got a PPC? Check out GPXSonar @ http://gpxsonar.homeip.net