Is geocaching dead?

Anton

I've got five recently placed geocaches that have not been logged. Used to be they were logged within 24 hours, or a couple of days. What's up? Is anyone else noticing a decline in activity, or is it just a fluke here in Central New York?

Anton, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY

[This message was edited by Anton on May 27, 2002 at 06:24 PM.]

I don't think so... I think that with the increasing number of players, and the increasing number of caches available, they are not all rushing out as soon as they see a new one pop up. In January, when we started, there were about 175 available in the 100 mile radius of our zip code. Today, there were 225. That is a net increase of 50 in just 4 months! At the same time, others have been archived, so that isn't an accurate count of how many have been placed since then.

Geocaching is not dead here anton, but it sure is quieter here than last year. I think it is still early in the season. Maybe geocachers hibernate longer. I have noticed a sluggish start to our season, but I am sure it will pick up this summer....at least I hope.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."

Chad, my geocaching partner-in-crime and I have done several caches that are NOT easy to get to. We're proud of the fact that SOME of our caches aren't part of the "see if you can bag 50 in a day" circuit.

The Pechuck Cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=7683) hasn't had a logged visit in over 8 months. The only person to try noted that there was several feet of snow on the mountain. "Excellent." --Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Solid! (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=22221) ...No visits in three weeks. You need a boat of some sort to visit this one. There's not a lot of geocachers with boats, I guess.

Magic Mile (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=10201) ...Didn't have a visit for more than two months after we'd placed it. It's at around 6300ft of elevation on Mt. Hood. And it's currently under about 10 feet of snow and ice.

Fellow geocachers ...it's ok to rack up a million visits for a geocache that you put out in the metropolitan area. But take pride in those truely difficult ones - the ones that get those seeking the cache into a really new place or doing something they've never done before. Those are some of the best caches they'll ever search for, guaranteed.

"What you do today will cost you a day of your life." --jabber's sig on /. and k5.

We are fortunate to have a lot of new Geocachers in this area of the world,WV, and they seem to like placing caches as well as looking for them. icon_smile.gif I can't keep up with them. Plus, now that the weather has warmed up and the pools are open, I am being torn between going swimming and going cache-hunting. With any luck at all, maybe I'll get to hunt for a cache in a park that has a pool, so i can combine the two! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

The harder you work,the harder it is to give up.

Vince Lombarde

Well, things seem to be jumping here in VA, although we have yet to run into another cacher out in the wilds. Also, Uno was up in Indianapolis this weekend for the Indy 500 and introduced his cousin to the sport of GC and he is now hooked. So at least there is one new member icon_smile.gif

Dep

Two months ago, I could easily fit in every cache in Sweden in my Vista (max 500 waypoints), with a lot of room for other points.

Today, I can still get them all into the Vista, but just barely, since there are 488 right now. The number of finds per month in Sweden has increased tremendously, almost four times, but since most of this activity has been focused on some urban areas (Gothenburg and Stockholm), I still have a cache (let it be that it's difficult to get to, GC2513 ) that hasn't been found for 178 days.

More caches in convenient distance means less travelling to more distant caches.

Anders

There seems to be flurries of hits. The first week or two out my caches are hit by the "usual suspects". About a dozen or so avid area Geocachers. Then hits are more sporadic. Strangely enough, some caches will go for a few months without a find, then suddenly will have 3-4 finds on the same weekend...and I don't mean a group of Geocachers who found it together and logged separate finds.

Around here, since this is a heavily hit area during tourist season (yes, you can hunt them here! icon_biggrin.gif ), I notice that one will find that folks have logged in the physical cache log, but they wait until they get home from vacation to log them online.

I'm waiting here to see a bunch of finds on my caches for this past weekend. I drove by a spot where one of my newer caches is hidden and each day saw two or more cars there. Hopefully they weren't just walking their dogs!

Me? I'm optimistic. Geocaching isn't even CLOSE to being dead!

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is." - Yoda, Jedi Master from Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

I agree the comment that the number of caches mean that the players to caches ratio works out so some caches don't get hit so much.

Based on the stats on the "About geocaching" section, this is the first weekend to break the 4000 accounts logging caches in one week. 14155 new logs is pretty amazing. So no, I don't think that geocaching is dying out.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

I have been to several caches in and around Omaha that have been visited 10 or more times, the contents of the caches different from the last web-logged visit, and yet on the website it may have listed no visitors for 2 weeks or more. It may be that your caches are being visited, but not logged on the net.

Things have slowed here a bit from a peak in Mar. Of corse it is starting to get a bit "warm" here and now most of the National forest is closed to entry.

To see Az stat activity try this page.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." Yogi Berra

jeepsmiliedesertcamo.gif

Things seem to be slow in the Indy area. Even with the long weekend there really wasn't much activity. We had more "finds" in Feb & March than April & May. Our rains might have slowed some of the cachers down a bit. We are seeing more caches put out in the last few months, a very good sign.

This time last year, we had 13 caches in Iowa. This year, we have 147, and new cachers everywhere. Between work and getting married, Tracy and I have been too busy to Geocache like we did this time last year. The upside is the weather earier this year let us get out a lot to hit some of the newer caches around the state.

Richard

In relation to both this thread and the one by Jeremy concerning the ability to auto-archive caches, I looked at all of the caches within 100 miles of my zip. I checked for attendance. Only some of the toughest or most out-of-the-way caches hadn't been visited in the past two months.

I'd say that that is pretty good for this area.

Now, in Klamath/Butte Falls, if a cache goes one day without being found you can bet that some nuclear disaster has struck or some type of mass plague...

quote:
Originally posted by Tecmage (R&T):

.... Between work and getting married, Tracy and I have been too busy to Geocache .....

Richard, from your profile picture (not the face on the right, though) ... I doubt there's one single solitary guy out here that would blame you icon_biggrin.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

I've noticed that fewer people are out hunting this year, despite several new usernames popping up in the area, but there is still a lot of hiding going on. North-central Minnesota had near-record rainfall in May and June and some old timers have said it's the worst mosquito and deerfly year they have seen. I've easily picked up 5 times the deer ticks this year I normally get as well. Perhaps a little West Nile fear is in play as well. Hopefully this is the reason for the slowdown and things will pick up now that the skeeters are settling down.

Well since it is resurrected I may as well throw in my .03 here...I think here in MI the record high temps have had quite a bit to do with the slower finds. I know during the winter and early spring I was reading new logs almost daily...now it is more like weekly :lol:

Everything seems to be well in Michigan. Im sure someone will get yours pretty quick.

I guess it depends on what part of Michigan because Kalamazoo isnt getting cached right now...oh I don't worry about my cache being found, I am trying to live vicariously through logs until I can cache again :lol:

I agree the comment that the number of caches mean that the players to caches ratio works out so some caches don't get hit so much.

Based on the stats on the "About geocaching" section, this is the first weekend to break the 4000 accounts logging caches in one week. 14155 new logs is pretty amazing. So no, I don't think that geocaching is dying out.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

And more recently:

In the last 7 days, there have been 135300 new logs written by 23404 account holders.

So it's not dead.

Edited by Tharagleb
This time last year, we had 13 caches in Iowa. This year, we have 147, and new cachers everywhere. Between work and getting married, Tracy and I have been too busy to Geocache like we did this time last year. The upside is the weather earier this year let us get out a lot to hit some of the newer caches around the state.<BR><BR>Richard

:lol: I feel very dumb, i'd read half the thread before I noticed the date.

The numbers were way too low for hides, its now like 1300!, and Team Tecmage doesn't do much finding here lately since they relocated to another state!!

The number of people hitting my Northern California caches does not seemed to have diminished. If there has been any change it appears that there are more hits now than during the early years.

(Why was this thread resurected???)

Edited by Team Sagefox

Semi-on-topic: It was getting close to dinner time on Sunday and we noticed that our cache just got approved, so we went and got dinner and then drove over to the cache. We got to say hi to four cacher groups while we ate dinner. Good times.

--Marky