Is geocaching dead?

Anton

I posted a reply to a topic that had not had any replies in 3 years mostly just to see if it would work. Yes its extemely ironic - geocaching has EXPLODED in popularity since that time. When I started caching in '01-'02 in Northeast Georgia doing ONE cache was a good days trip - an hours drive(at least) and a hour or two of hiking was involved. Now when I hit the search option for caches for that same area all of the original caches that were on my first page are now spread over 12 or more pages. Geocaching is very popular (compared to then) I live in south jersey now and its easy to do 10 - 15 caches a day(until youve got most of the nearby area)

LONG LIVE GEOCACHING !!!

If someone feels the need to close this thread now - it may be a good idea, as too many people may be confused if they just skim the posts quickly.

Google is your friend. Here's an on-line one that worked well with both his message and sig.

I specifically asked for a place to get the one for Firefox that Tharagleb has, not some online decoder found with google. I tried google and couldn't find what he was talking about. Apparently you couldn't either. :laughing:

We're still waiting, Tharagleb. ;)

Google is your friend.  Here's an on-line one that worked well with both his message and sig.

I specifically asked for a place to get the one for Firefox that Tharagleb has, not some online decoder found with google. I tried google and couldn't find what he was talking about. Apparently you couldn't either. :laughing:

We're still waiting, Tharagleb. :laughing:

Sorry, I don't actually *live* in the forums. ;)

It's Mnenhy, take a look at the "Text Codecs" link. It even does Kenny: Mmmpmfmmmppp Fppmffpmfpmfmffmmmppmfmm

# Available Text Codecs

* ROT-13

* Base64

* UUEncode/UUDecode

* URI Codecs

* Unicode Codecs

* Kenny

* Morse

* Reverse

* Case Encoders

* Evaluate

[Edit: Add list of text codecs]

Edited by Tharagleb

I am sorry to inform you all that I have not found a cache in nearly a week. I now pronounce geocaching alive only though man-made life support systems. Use your own theological experience to determine if that proclaims geocaching dead or not.

I don't think so... I think that with the increasing number of players, and the increasing number of caches available, they are not all rushing out as soon as they see a new one pop up. In January, when we started, there were about 175 available in the 100 mile radius of our zip code. Today, there were 225. That is a net increase of 50 in just 4 months! At the same time, others have been archived, so that isn't an accurate count of how many have been placed since then.

Interesting seeing this ancient thread pop up!

For those interested in numbers, we now have 2456 caches within 50 miles of us... I don't know how to change the search parameter to bring up 100 miles, but that would be an interesting number!

I don't think so... I think that with the increasing number of players, and the increasing number of caches available, they are not all rushing out as soon as they see a new one pop up. In January, when we started, there were about 175 available in the 100 mile radius of our zip code. Today, there were 225. That is a net increase of 50 in just 4 months! At the same time, others have been archived, so that isn't an accurate count of how many have been placed since then.

Interesting seeing this ancient thread pop up!

For those interested in numbers, we now have 2456 caches within 50 miles of us... I don't know how to change the search parameter to bring up 100 miles, but that would be an interesting number!

So that's another vote for dead. :)

Not a decrease in activity but a dramatic increase in the number of caches. When I ran my first PQ in October 2004 the nearest 500 queries ended at 19 miles. Ran it again yesterday and it ends at 9 miles. That is a 100 percent increase in 3+ years. Wish my stocks would do that.

Actually, it's an increase of over 300%. A 19 mile radius encompasses ~1100 square miles. A 9 mile radius covers ~250 square miles. It's that whole Pi-r-squared thing. :)

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

I've got five recently placed geocaches that have not been logged. Used to be they were logged within 24 hours, or a couple of days. What's up? Is anyone else noticing a decline in activity, or is it just a fluke here in Central New York?<BR><BR>Anton, N2RUD<BR>Syracuse, NY<BR><BR>[This message was edited by Anton on May 27, 2002 at 06:24 PM.]

Were the caches you placed difficult? Difficult in the sense that the seeker would need to get of their car. I've found in my area that most of the new caches being places are micros in parking lots and otherwise easy to get to areas. The seekers are only going after the easy ones... I don't geocaching is dying, but it is certainly changing (in a bad way in my opinion)

I've got five recently placed geocaches that have not been logged. Used to be they were logged within 24 hours, or a couple of days. What's up? Is anyone else noticing a decline in activity, or is it just a fluke here in Central New York?
Were the caches you placed difficult? Difficult in the sense that the seeker would need to get of their car. I've found in my area that most of the new caches being places are micros in parking lots and otherwise easy to get to areas. The seekers are only going after the easy ones... I don't geocaching is dying, but it is certainly changing (in a bad way in my opinion)
I hope that you aren't holding your breath waiting for Anton to answer. Edited by sbell111
I've got five recently placed geocaches that have not been logged. Used to be they were logged within 24 hours, or a couple of days. What's up? Is anyone else noticing a decline in activity, or is it just a fluke here in Central New York?
I hope that you aren't holding your breath waiting for Anton to answer.

Hahahahahaa! Got duped didn't I :)

Edited by ReadyOrNot