ATTENTION VIRTUAL CACHE LOVERS!!!!!

Hi, I thought I would post this email I got from a volunteer who takes our sumbit's for caches and makes then reality on the web page. I had recently (today 7/31/02) made 5 virtual caches in my area. 2 of them just happened to be right on the same street and I placed them as seperate virtual caches. Thats how i wanted them to be. Well I got an email stating because i used the same coordinated on accident that i had to combine them. So i went to my cache page changed the coordinates to the right one of one of them and sent it back to him. I got an email stating he had recieved my request, but has since archived it on his behave because it was on the same street. But I wanted it to be 2 different ones, because they were 2 different ones. Well this nice fella' (ya right) sent me this email:

User erik88l-r has contacted you with the following message:

I posted one and archived the other. I got your e-mail but even with the new

coordinates they are right next to each other.

Do this - invest $5 in an ammobox, log book, and some trinkets. That's what

geocaching should be about - not posting the coordinates of every halfway

interesting place around town. Let quality take precedence over quantity!

Best Wishes,

geocaching.com admin

I for one enjoy virtual caches as many others do and I thought that you all would like to know that our ... how did he put it halfway interesting places around town is not geocaching. EXCUSE ME... WHO MADE U GEO-GOD!!! WHAT DO U THINK??? icon_rolleyes.gif

Well, I looked at your profile and see that you've found only 5 caches - while having hidden 14 of them. And you've only been a member of geocaching.com since this month.

More than half of your available caches right now appear to be virtual - and of those, they seem to be fairly ordinary. Markers, plaques, a cemetary, a museum building.

Now - I'm sure you won't like what I say either, but I can see where he was coming from when he suggested that you hide some phsyical caches instead of more virtuals.

Whether that is right or wrong is debatable. I'm sure you believe that your virtual caches are great and well worth the hunt... but folks like me might think. "Gee, a plaque... hmm... a cemetary... oh... a building" They just seem like fairly ordinary things to me.

Granted, I can't know what they're really like until I'd see them myself... they might be great. But, I'm just saying that I can understand why he'd reply to you with a message like that.

Perhaps the places you find interesting, you could make some sort of multi-cache thing? That way people would have to visit all the locations you want them to see, in order to log the one multi-cache as a find.

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--

I wait for my other half to find them with me.. which lately we have not had time together to do that he is working alot. So i go out and make some... I have also gotten a new gps in recent days so i waited till i knew how to use it. I'm soooooo sorry for not having 300 or so caches behind my belt before i hide or make virtual caches... check out a bunch of other virtual caches out there, there the same stuff. So please dont jump down my throat for showing you guys a negative email i got. OH AND ERIK... you are sooo down playing your email as to friendly advice... u basically told me virtual caching is a waste of time. icon_rolleyes.gificon_razz.gif

The posted guidelines say in part:

"A virtual cache must be novel, meaning of interest to other players. Items that would be in a coffee table book are good examples. A flagpole, manhole cover, tree, etc are poor examples (with an exception: A flagpole at a memorial or a particular novel flagpole would be ok, or an especially unique tree would count). If you don't know what is appropriate, post to the forums first."

The admin does want to exercise a little bit more control over the nature of virtual caches (and for good reason in my opinion). I guess in this case it was presumed that at least one of two virtuals placed right next to each other could not be that "novel". If you disagree, perhaps you might be able to convince them otherwise.

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

As a resident of NJ, I do want to pipe in... not that my opinion really counts.

NJ is an interesting place, but honestly, no more or less than any other state in the country. It may have a higher occurance of historical interest. Some places refer to NJ as the "crossroads of the American Revolution". For instance, in Basking Ridge alone, just two miles west of me, must be dozens of places which would fascinate any history buff. How about an oak tree that's 400-600 years old? It's so old and big, they've had to rig the branches with chains, so it doesn't collapse under it's own weight.

I digress. But I'd rather have traditional caches. I just looked at the new caches today in NJ and noticed that they're all virtual caches which you've placed. I'm not adverse to virtual caches, but my personal seeking is traditional. the few virtuals I've logged were only logged as they were in my general direction of travel. If you want to point history, or just odd or interesting places, place a traditional cache. At least I'd get out of the car and scope out the area.

I feel if i like it!! Then I can make what ever i want to.. just cause i make 6 in one day.. out of legit places and very interesting places at that. You shouldnt stomp on other peoples parade. If people think its a waste of time doing my caches, then they dont have to do them. Its everybody's choice. So, maybe in the future people will realise that THIS IS JUST A GAME... and everyone is fair game to everything or anythng.

Virtual caches can be great, but do please refer to the published guidelines

http://www.geocaching.com/articles/requirements.asp.

Virtual cache locations should be such that you'd see them featured in a coffee table book, or someone would want to visit the location after reading another finders log.

I've posted a virtual cache - I thought it was pretty neat. Unfortunatly it was stolen the next day. 'Didn't think someone could plunder a virtual cache, but stuff happens.....

~erik~

My virtual caches for today were:

1. The first ever firehouse and vol. fire house (two seperate ones, near each other not the same house) in the USA.

2. Rev. War Hospital (meeting house).

3. Weird NJ: magazine article Cemetry.

4. National Historic Prison from the 1800's.

I'm sorry but as u look at the list are not 4 out of the 5 HISTORICAL PLACES??? YES!!!! Any historical place can be in a coffee book or in History books as that may be. There not flag poles, trees, or just an odd building there are places with alot of history and alot of history people out there might not know they exist if it werent for geo caching, i know i can admit to not knowing something was in this state with out geocaching. I love geocaching!! and i thnk we should keep adding these rich historical places, they could use the visits and be appreciated!!

It was a brass or bronze plaque in a historic neighborhood. Most of the homes had similar plaques that proclaimed what it was 100+ years ago. One old home had a tiny plaque mounted on the front gate that proclaimed:

"On this site in 1832 Nothing Happened"

I thought it was so unique I created a virtual cache around it, but a few days later someone stole it. Bummer.

~erik~

Bummer Erik!! Look I'm not bashing you for what u did, even thought it may seem like it, but you do sound kinda like a pip-squeak in the email. Maybe I took it wrong... I'm sorry!! But historical places could use the visits that geocaching is giving them. I recently heard a old plantation down in Southern Florida i forget which cache i a historic place, and one of the entry logs someone wrote, that the tour guide remarked on all the new buisness that it was getting cause of the tours of it due to the geocache site. I think thats great were having fun and promoting our own history to each other for enjoyment!! icon_wink.gif

SWMBO

You found that too quickly!

Here's another site

http://www.csee.umbc.edu/~schott/rumpole/

Leo McKern, who passed away last week, was the actor who played John Mortimer's "Rumpole of the Bailey". He would refer to his wife (Hilga?) as "She Who Must Be Obeyed". This was one of the better PBS series. Old Leo also joined Brooke Shields (if memory serves) in the not to memorable movie Blue Lagoon. Well, come to think of it the movie wasn't all bad. icon_smile.gif

~erik~

quote:
Originally posted by dboggny:

quote:
Originally posted by dboggny:

as a lover of american history (especially revolutionary and civil war history) i find virtual caches to be very interesting. although i have been around for a little over a year, i, myself have less then 10 finds (primarillly because of a lack of time- work and school and taking care of my household- and traffic in and around ny drives me crazy). my personal group of caches (lesser historical sights) tries to introduce areas that people have been to or drive by but do not know the historical significance of. i think i provide places that bring the history, our collective american history (regardless of your nationality) alive. here in new york city, there are tons of these places, i try to bring you to the most obscure, "lesser known". i hope the people that visit my sights find them intersting and, that having visited the location will want to investigate the history more on their own. the issue here is, that i would find these locations interesting because of the history they hold and the fact that not a lot of people know about it (dispite the fact that they have visited or driven by it) doesnt mean that others will find it interesting. i think this holds with "real" caches as well. that someone places a cache in a park that they like doesnt mean that i want to visit that location for one reason or another. some caches here in queens introduced me to a park i had driven by thousands of times, a cache in another park doesnt interest me because i hate traveling into the city. the point is, post the virtual caches, no one is holding a gun to anyone's head forcing them to visit the location. if you go and find it interesting and desire to learn more, great. if you visit and think it stinks, well shame on you for learning about a location for the sake of knowledge. it seems to me that a lot of people dont like virtual caches. well, i do and some of the rest of us do. so just post the thing. the way some of you talk, you would think a virtual cache was taking food out of your kids mouths. finally, i enjoy benchmark hunting, but frankly its not all that interesting except fot the ones in "interesting locations" and those are few and far between. at least a virtual cache can stimulate a desire to learn something more. i apologize for the rant in advance.

danny

SR and dboggny. Oh man, my mother in law is herehttp://img.Groundspeak.com/user/9372_700.gif

SR and dboggny. Oh man, my mother in law is herehttp://img.Groundspeak.com/user/9372_700.gif

SR and dboggny. Oh man, my mother in law is here9372_700.gif

Anyone remember who said that?

BDoggny, there were two caches, one was at N39° 59.570 / W074° 47.117. Another cache was at N39° 59.559 / W074° 47.104.

One was posted, one was not. The reason the second wasn't was due to proximity to the first.

Please drop it, my new friend and I have!

Thanks,

erik

its not a matter of slugging it out, its a matter of not being told to be quiet. i posted caches and you sent me an email with some advice. i was greatfull for your advice. i just wanted to be heard. is that so wrong? love you all, you do a great job and i am greatfull for the enjoyment of geocaching.

danny

quote:
Originally posted by ~erik~:

Just kidding. Of course Danny is entitled to his opinion, as we all are.

But right now I'm signing off and going to bed, so you guys can slug it out. Or hug! icon_smile.gif

See you,

~erik~

SR and dboggny. Oh man, my mother in law is here9372_700.gif

Erik has also "disapproved" a couple of my virtual caches. However, when I sent him a full description of what I DIDN'T include on the cache page - details I wanted to be a surprise to the cacher, or further explanation of the location - he reversed himself and approved the caches. He and others like him have the difficult task of trying to uphold a standard set forth by the website. They are trying to limit the number of "lame caches" listed. The difficult part is trying to define what a "lame cache" is. I applaud the hard work the cache approvers do, and I'm glad they question caches - virtual, locationless, or traditional - that do not appear to meet the standards. I also applaud them for responding in good faith to additional explanations from cache placers whose caches have been called into question, and their willingness to reverse decisions based on additional information.

Bottom line: If you want your cache approved, follow the guidelines. If you believe you met the guidelines, but your cache was not approved, email a thorough explanation detailing why it meets the guidelines. If it truly does meet the guidelines, it will probably get approved.

25021_1200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SunCrush & Traumajunkie21:

I'm soooooo sorry for not having 300 or so caches behind my belt before i hide or make virtual caches... check out a bunch of other virtual caches out there, there the same stuff. So please dont jump down my throat for showing you guys a negative email i got. OH AND ERIK... you are sooo down playing your email as to friendly advice... u basically told me virtual caching is a waste of time.

*laugh* Nobody is jumping down your throat. I should have known that you wouldn't be able to hear any comments that might agree a little with what Erik said. No need for you to start getting all pissy about it. I even tried to say something nice about your other caches... just so you wouldn't take the comments personally.

Glad you all kissed and made up or whatever... bah.

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--

quote:

Stop with the negative waves!

Anyone remember who said that?

That would be Donald Sutherland's character, Oddball, in "Kelly's Heroes" starring Clint Eastwood. Very interesting, to have a 1960's hippy character who commanded a tank in a World War II movie. Before I discovered geocaching, I watched WAY too many movies!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

"Daddy, are we there yet? No, .17 to go. Are we there yet? No, .16 to go....."

Your Caches should be allowed for 1 simple reason its not how close they are but according to 1 line in the "RULES"

"A cache has to be a specific distinct GPS target..."

I have placed 6 in our little town, and they are real close in distance, but the difference is what the caches consist of.

To tell us to go buy a box and some trinkets is dead wrong. After all aren't we the search engine and so how we spend our money is our own business. icon_eek.gif

The "Bushwhacker"

needs_a_shave.gif

Exitus acta probat

>>--->

I think that a virtul cache is a good idea and that maybe erik was a little to quick to dismiss your 2 because of there location after all when it comes down to it he approves real caches all the time and if you think about it they all are illegal unless they are placed on property that you own so when one of my fellow geocachers gets a fine for littering maybe erik will pay it for youjust some food for thought

quote:
Originally posted by SunCrush & Traumajunkie21:

EXCUSE ME... WHO MADE U GEO-GOD!!! WHAT DO U THINK???

I think we really need a forum area especially reserved for "Hissy Fits."

I also think the cache pages we submit for approval should show some indication that thought and care went into their construction.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on August 01, 2002 at 05:52 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Bushwhacker:

Your Caches should be allowed for 1 simple reason its not how close they are but according to 1 line in the "RULES"

"A cache has to be a specific distinct GPS target..."

I have placed 6 in our little town, and they are real close in distance, but the difference is what the caches consist of.

To tell us to go buy a box and some trinkets is dead wrong. After all aren't we the search engine and so how we spend our money is our own business. icon_eek.gif

The "Bushwhacker"

Think of the caches listed on the web-site as concrete. Physical "caches-in-the-woods" are the cement, well-constructed "multi-s" and such are the aggregate. Locationless are little bits of dirt and "virtuals" are the water. Of course, we don't want the dirt but we do need some water. However, too much water can really "water down" the concrete. We're drowning in water here. It's very tempting to keep adding water because it's cheap and makes the concrete go "further" ... but someone has to buy the boxes and trinkets to keep adding the cement and sand to keep up with the guy who has the hose on full blast.

Washington DC is a great example of too much water, for the love of Pete.

quote:

....SWMBO is watching.....

(who can tell me what that means?

~erik~

Jeremy knows how to search Google. As a woodworker and follower of the Badger Pond, I knew what SWMBO meant and about fell off my chair when I saw your post.

I must say I am lucky, because SWMBO fully supports both hobbies! icon_biggrin.gif

"Never have a philosophy which supports a lack of courage..."49061_400.gif

Well some people see the real reason i wrote it, to show u people out there running this game web site, dont all really look into this as a game they look at this like its part of there lives working lives that is. I am not down grading Erik again, we are fine now. but i think people need to realise that you shouldnt tell people what or where they cant place a cache. Bottom line it is a game and who caresif you place a cache in the same area as another person. I know places here in Jersey that have 4 or 5 maybe even more caches all in one area. I think thats great. You can get out an afternoon full of caching done in one afternoon and enjoy the area, say if you were to oull over find it sign it take and leave what ever then tp park, enjoy walk around!! Just to think about. But to have a hissy fit..i was not i was simplyasking a ?. About the geo-god. Last night during the chat on the geochat page, i was told to chill out and play by the rules, and that people take it to heart, cause its just a game and then they say how dare people told them and I how to play it, then they turn around and tell me to wait till i get 200 or 300 finds behind my belt before i go and hide. I do not think we need to go into that one. People will do what ever people want to do. Its the human way now. People dont care, they seem there in it for the numbers behind there geoname, and yes i have seem a few who i will not name who are just that. It more than a game to them its a way of life. So lets all enjoy the game and forget about this forum. I have no lets all move on!! icon_razz.gif

quote:

It was a brass or bronze plaque in a historic neighborhood. Most of the homes had similar plaques that proclaimed what it was 100+ years ago. One old home had a tiny plaque mounted on the front gate that proclaimed:

"On this site in 1832 Nothing Happened"

I thought it was so unique I created a virtual cache around it, but a few days later someone stole it. Bummer.

~erik~

Sorry to break it to you erik, but nothing unique about that plaque. It's a novelty item which can be purchased from many of your mail order stores (Harriet Carter, Miles Kimball, etc.)I've got one myself. If I could remember where I put it last, I'd retrieve it and set it near one of my caches in an easy to see but hard to reach place. Be interesting how many people put forth the effort to try to read it!

Mitsuko was nice clean-cut Joisy Girl. She's moved on now. We can let her go now.brassplq.jpg

[This message was edited by pater47 on August 01, 2002 at 08:00 AM.]

[This message was edited by pater47 on August 01, 2002 at 08:18 AM.]

gotten a few emails about this having them placed as a multi virtual cache. well if you see all the work and where these places are u might think it would better to have it as seperate (yes 2 of them are combined) because after all the work, you only will get one number added to your cache finds, nad i dont want to hear people ranting that they worked so hard and had to fight traffic inorder to get there, that they only get to get one and how this could have been different caches. For an example of a think like this in a town with 5 or 6 titled almost the same practically on the same street is all different caches... CARLISLE HISTORICAL TRAIL (LAW & ORDER), CARLISLE HISTORICAL TRAIL (INTEGRATION), CARLISLE HISTORICAL TRAIL (THE GENERALS), CARLISLE HISTORICAL TRAIL (FIREMARK), CARLISLE HISTORICAL TRAIL (WEIRD SCIENCE), CARLISLE HISTORICAL TRAIL (HERONIES HOME) & CARLISLE HISTORICAL TRAIL (THE BARRACKS)... in PA. hmmmmm kinda like all mine huh?? icon_rolleyes.gif

hey i think that was a good point maybe the geo gods will see it nah would not happen they are all to busy patting themselves on the back for a game that could run without them and as i said eailer can get u a fine for littering hum maybe a flaw oh well what do u want for something that the creator has only been in it for 2yrs

quote:
Originally posted by thecachunter:

hey i think that was a good point maybe the geo gods will see it nah would not happen they are all to busy patting themselves on the back for a game that could run without them and as i said eailer can get u a fine for littering hum maybe a flaw oh well what do u want for something that the creator has only been in it for 2yrs

Uh, Wal-Mart is having a sale on Capital letters, spell checkers and punctuation marks. You may wish to look into to it. Wait a minute - did I just respond to a troll? Geesh!

Mitsuko was nice clean-cut Joisy Girl. She's moved on now. We can let her go now.