Not Posting Finds

briansnat

There was a recent thread about why people don't log "not founds". But many of us have noticed logs in our books from Geocachers who found our cache, but didn't log the find on the website. For those of you who don't log finds, my question is why?

In my mind, it is simply a courtesy. By entering your find on the website, you're letting the cache owner know:

The cache is still there

That people are finding it

That people appreciate its placement

The condition of the cache

Log entries also serve to let the cache owner know if the ratings for terrain and difficulty are accurate or should be adjusted.

And most important, to me at least, is that I enjoy reading the accounts of the finders. When I check my e-mail each day I eagerly look for the "xxxx found your cache" messages. I'm not sure I'd be so into placing caches if I didn't receive these messages. It lets me know that someone enjoyed finding my cach and my effort in putting it together and hiding it wasn't wasted.

I'm sure most cache owners feel the same.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Kelle

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on September 19, 2002 at 09:53 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I'm sure most cache owners feel the same.

Please remember, like Foghorn Leghorn said in that other thread, not everyone has a computer (yeah, I found that hard to believe, too!) and participating on geocaching.com is not mandatory. If they CAN post finds without undue hassle, I agree with you that they SHOULD for all the reasons you say, but if they can't, they can still enjoy the hunt!

Just consider it a bonus log book entry to read when you make your maintenence visits!

ApK

I've had a few who weren't geocachers sign my logbooks (they were hunters, etc).

Sometimes, people tag along with their geocaching friends, and they sign the logbook and make up an alias to use in the logbook, but don't sign online.

I agree that its a simple courtesy, but it bothers me more when people don't log travelbugs icon_biggrin.gif

snazzsig.jpg

I've had a few who weren't geocachers sign my logbooks (they were hunters, etc).

Sometimes, people tag along with their geocaching friends, and they sign the logbook and make up an alias to use in the logbook, but don't sign online.

I agree that its a simple courtesy, but it bothers me more when people don't log travelbugs icon_biggrin.gif

snazzsig.jpg

quote:

quote:
not everyone has a computer

True, but everybody has access to one. When my machine crashed I went to the library, or my brother's house to log my caches.

That's perfectly natural for you and me, but that falls squarely in the realm of "undue hassle" if you weren't into computers or websurfing, just to go take time out and make a trip to stroke someone's ego. The best you can hope for, I think, is to post a notice on all your cache pages saying *PLEASE DON'T GIVE THESE COORDS TO NON-WWW.GEOCACHING.COM USERS*, but c'mon...really? Isn't placing a cache like giving gift to geocachers, and being upset about not getting a web log like getting upset that you didn't get a thank-you card?

Like I said, I agree with you otherwise, if you're on the site, please log your visits!

ApK

If you routinely just tagalong with another cacher and they log the find that's ok. As long as someone logs the visit they will usually say such-and-such was along on the hunt.

If you hunt on your own and get your coordinates from online you should be able to use the same channel of communication to log your visit. If you don't have a PC then how did you get coords? Use the same method to post a log. It is at the very least a courtesy to the hider that says their effort was not in vain.

If it is found by a non cacher by accident logging is purely optional. It's nice if they do but there is no implied obligation. Those are fun to read when you do maintenance.

Rusty...

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

quote:

In my mind, it is simply a courtesy. By entering your find on the website, you're letting the cache owner know:

The cache is still there

Well, if nobody logs online and says that my cache ISN'T there, I'm assuming it is okay. It doesn't bother me if people log it in person, but not on the site. I find it curious, but it isn't something that bothers me.

quote:
Log entries also serve to let the cache owner know if the ratings for terrain and difficulty are accurate or should be adjusted.

Well, if they are that concerned about the difficulty rating being innacurate, they probably would have logged the cache online to let you know. Again, I see it as if "nothing said, nothing wrong."

quote:
And most important, to me at least, is that I enjoy reading the accounts of the finders. When I check my e-mail each day I eagerly look for the "xxxx found your cache" messages. I'm not sure I'd be so into placing caches if I didn't receive these messages. I'm sure most cache owners feel the same.

Not me, really... I hide caches because it is fun for me, and I enjoy knowing that other people will get some enjoyment out of hunting them. If I hid a cache that didn't get any logs online, but it did get several handwritten logs in the cache itself - that would be still be great. Anyone enjoying my caches is enough for me, logged online or not. I'm probably not in the majority, though - like you said. icon_smile.gif

- Toe.

--==< Rubbertoe's Webcam, Photo Albums, and Homepage >==--

quote:

The cache is still there

Well, if nobody logs online and says that my cache ISN'T there, I'm assuming it is okay. It doesn't bother me if people log it in person, but not on the site. I find it curious, but it isn't something that bothers me.

quote:

Well, if they are that concerned about the difficulty rating being innacurate, they probably would have logged the cache online to let you know. Again, I see it as if "nothing said, nothing wrong."

quote:
And most important, to me at least, is that I enjoy reading the accounts of the finders. When I check my e-mail each day I eagerly look for the "xxxx found your cache" messages. I'm not sure I'd be so into placing caches if I didn't receive these messages. I'm sure most cache owners feel the same.

Not me, really... I hide caches because it is fun for me, and I enjoy knowing that other people will get some enjoyment out of hunting them. If I hid a cache that didn't get any logs online, but it did get several handwritten logs in the cache itself - that would be still be great. Anyone enjoying my caches is enough for me, logged online or not. I'm probably not in the majority, though - like you said. icon_smile.gif

- Toe.

Just a side thought... a couple of you have said the online logs let the cache hider know that their efforts were "not in vain" or so that they had some "positive reinforcements" for their cache-hiding efforts.

Well, if you ever do maintenance on your cache, or reclaim it to place somewhere else - the kudos that you want will be easily seen in the cache log. icon_smile.gif I think it is more of a matter of those folks wanting their kudos RIGHT NOW. icon_razz.gif

(Cuz see, the kudos are there... you just have to go get 'em) icon_wink.gif

- Toe.

Just a side thought... a couple of you have said the online logs let the cache hider know that their efforts were "not in vain" or so that they had some "positive reinforcements" for their cache-hiding efforts.

Well, if you ever do maintenance on your cache, or reclaim it to place somewhere else - the kudos that you want will be easily seen in the cache log. icon_smile.gif I think it is more of a matter of those folks wanting their kudos RIGHT NOW. icon_razz.gif

(Cuz see, the kudos are there... you just have to go get 'em) icon_wink.gif

- Toe.

I have wondered why put a log book in the cache and not just do everything on-line? I agree if you get the coords from here then you must be able to post here also. I guess the only point would be for having the logbook at the cache is for the finder to really prove that they were there but there are other ways of doing that. At anyrate it would save time and the risk of being seen if it was strictly online. However.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

I guess the only point would be for having the logbook at the cache is for the finder to really prove that they were there...

Heh - reading that statement made me realize how sad it is that we have to worry about something like that. Especially when there is no apparent reason for faking finds, other than padding your own numbers in the hopes of impressing others.

Sad.

- Toe.

OK, rationalize this...

I just placed my first cache. The next day I get an email from a cacher stating that he/she found my cache. They haven't yet logged it online. They have logged other cache finds, and they took the time to email me, so why not log mine?

I sent them an email asking why, but heard nothing. I'll give it some more time, or I might just go check the cache log...

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

Heh - reading that statement made me realize how sad it is that we have to worry about something like that. Especially when there is no apparent reason for faking finds, other than padding your own numbers in the hopes of impressing others.

I would rather someone NOT log a find than to lie and log a find that they truly didn't. That happened at one I had helped place. Deleted it once, he did it again, and so I let him have it. It's been archived since, so no biggie. Turns out he only did it 'cause it was still on his first page, and he felt threatened by it's location.

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I for one love reading the comments written in the log books at the cache sites. They tend to be a little more open and unconcocted. Many contain jokes, doodles and squished bugs ... very amusing. I also noticed, checking in on one of my caches that there had been visits by non-geocachers who may not even have computers.

Yes, I am one of those who finds a cache, signs the logbook, but then doesn’t log it online…right away. The reason is, it takes me a long time to write up my online logs. But – I DO log them, eventually!

Like so many others who are pursing this great sport, I love it. But we’re all individuals, and we all like some parts better than others. Some people love to hide caches and/or create fantastic geobased puzzles. Some are more into the finding – they may be fiercely competitive in attempting to log as many finds as possible, enjoy solving puzzles, or may just want to visit the location itself. Some just like an excuse to go for a hike or walk the dog.

As sbell111 pointed out, some people don’t like to log online, but I LOVE IT!!!! Strange as it sounds, it’s one of my favorite things about geocaching! If I like a cache, it’s my duty to leave a log that I hope will match the hider’s creativity, celebrate his choice of location, or show that I’ve gotten into the spirit of the cache’s theme. Hey, every cache is an adventure to me, and I’m gonna sing about it!

The problem is, it takes me a long time. Believe it or not, it sometimes (often) takes me longer to write a log for a cache than it did to actually find it, and in some cases I’m sure it takes me longer to write my log for a cache than it took the hider to put it in. If I were really disciplined (or geocaching was my job) I would restrain from hunting anything new until I was completely caught up with my backlogs. But, this is supposed to be fun, isn’t it? When the sun is shining, I’m goin’ cachin – not sitting on my butt in front of the computer. As a result, I’m WAY behind in my online logs.

I keep notes about each cache I find, then log them online in the order I visited them. Of course, I make exceptions, and will always log a cache immediately if I find or drop off a Travel Bug, if there is serious damage to the cache, etc. However, the fact remains that its now mid September, and I’m still logging some caches I did in July.

Of course this has disadvantages other than those mentioned by BrianSnat. I’ll bet a lot of people never even read my logs – if the cache is popular, others who visit the cache after me get their logs in way before me, and my log first appears so far down in the list that no one bothers to scroll down to it. Also, my ‘Find’ count on the website is always lower than what I’ve actually found. Those are but two of the prices I pay for being a ‘late logger’.

Yes, I could just pen – “Found it. TNLN. On to the next one” – but I don’t think that’s enough of a ‘thank you’ for the hider. That’s why I’m so happy to see that BrianSnat enjoys reading logs and actually looks forward to reading them! I know he’s not the only one, because every now and then, I even get an email from a cache hider thanking me for enjoying his cache enough to write a thoughtful, appreciative log. Those kinds of logs take time to write – so please be patient!!

- Genius Loci

see my logs for

this cache

or this cache

or this cache, please!

quote:
Originally posted by Genius Loci:

Yes, I am one of those who finds a cache, signs the logbook, but then doesn’t log it online…right away.

There's a big difference between slow logs, and no logs. I don't think anyone has complained about people who take a long time to get their logs posted...just the ones who choose not to log them because it 'isn't their thing' or it's too much bother, etc.

I enjoy the thoughtful, descriptive, humorous, etc. logs best (even if it takes awhile for them to show up), but if someone at least leaves even a simple, "TNLN" log, that's ok, too. At least they are acknowledging the existence of the cache.

By the way, if you take awhile to post your log, and later finders post logs before yours gets entered...causing your post to scroll off the page by the time you enter it...the cache owner (and anyone else watching the cache) still gets an e-mail whenever you post a log. (And I think that's where the 'I logged it in the book...why should I have to log it online, too?' excuse falls short. There are more people than just the cache owner who enjoy reading logs. By posting them online, we ALL get to read them. We can't all go out to every physical cache, and browse through the hand written logs. But it's fun to be able do so here, on caches from all over the place...places we'll never get to personally visit. It's part of what makes us a community, rather than simply a bunch of strangers.)

GL, your reference about a short quickie log not being enough of a 'thank you' tells me that you're someone who appreciates the efforts of the person who's hidden the cache for your hunting enjoyment. icon_smile.gifThat's the bottom line, in my opinion.

I don't even mind if someone misses a few logs that they never end up gettting entered (stuff happens, that's understandable)...as long as it's not their usual practice. Or even if they never log...because they have arthritis in their hands, or a visual condition that makes it difficult to type, etc...there are lots of understandable excuses for not logging.

But when I hear people say, "It's not my thing." or "It's too much bother.", etc., it gets my dander up. It's the selfish attitude of people who feel like they don't need to give anything back (not even a symbolic 'thank you') when someone goes to the effort of doing something nice for them.

If you're willing to take, you should learn how to give. Plain and simple.

[This message was edited by Zuckerruebensirup on September 19, 2002 at 01:51 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Genius Loci:

Yes, I am one of those who finds a cache, signs the logbook, but then doesn’t log it online…right away.

There's a big difference between slow logs, and no logs. I don't think anyone has complained about people who take a long time to get their logs posted...just the ones who choose not to log them because it 'isn't their thing' or it's too much bother, etc.

I enjoy the thoughtful, descriptive, humorous, etc. logs best (even if it takes awhile for them to show up), but if someone at least leaves even a simple, "TNLN" log, that's ok, too. At least they are acknowledging the existence of the cache.

By the way, if you take awhile to post your log, and later finders post logs before yours gets entered...causing your post to scroll off the page by the time you enter it...the cache owner (and anyone else watching the cache) still gets an e-mail whenever you post a log. (And I think that's where the 'I logged it in the book...why should I have to log it online, too?' excuse falls short. There are more people than just the cache owner who enjoy reading logs. By posting them online, we ALL get to read them. We can't all go out to every physical cache, and browse through the hand written logs. But it's fun to be able do so here, on caches from all over the place...places we'll never get to personally visit. It's part of what makes us a community, rather than simply a bunch of strangers.)

GL, your reference about a short quickie log not being enough of a 'thank you' tells me that you're someone who appreciates the efforts of the person who's hidden the cache for your hunting enjoyment. icon_smile.gifThat's the bottom line, in my opinion.

I don't even mind if someone misses a few logs that they never end up gettting entered (stuff happens, that's understandable)...as long as it's not their usual practice. Or even if they never log...because they have arthritis in their hands, or a visual condition that makes it difficult to type, etc...there are lots of understandable excuses for not logging.

But when I hear people say, "It's not my thing." or "It's too much bother.", etc., it gets my dander up. It's the selfish attitude of people who feel like they don't need to give anything back (not even a symbolic 'thank you') when someone goes to the effort of doing something nice for them.

If you're willing to take, you should learn how to give. Plain and simple.

[This message was edited by Zuckerruebensirup on September 19, 2002 at 01:51 PM.]

I prefer the online logs. The ones in the logbook are usually not much more than "nice spot, left X, took Y, Thanks".

The online logs are usually more detailed. The reason being I guess that you have the time to go into detail sitting in front of a PC. When you're sitting in front of an open cache, you might be in a bit of a hurry, lest you're seen.

I do periodic maintenance, but I like the instant gratification of the online logs. What can I say, I'm just a typical product of the "Me Generation".

Actually, it's very comforting to read these posts, as I do feel guilty about taking a long time to log my finds. It's really nice to know they're appreciated even when they're somewhat tardy.

Sorry for getting up on my HH, but it's important for you cache owners to understand that most finders really appreciate your work, and that if it sometimes takes us a long time to tell you, it may just be because we're trying to make our thanks to you as special as was the caching experience you gave to us.

As for those who NEVER log their finds online, I can only feel sorry for them. They are missing out on one of geocaching's greatest experiences.

Danke Zuck, BrianSnat, umc, Leprechauns & all.