Food and other things that smell like food being placed in caches.

I just visited another cache that was laoded with critter-bait. Why must people put things into caches that smell sweet and tasty (especially to varmints). The first cache I found like this had cocoa-butter scented hand lotion in it and a packaged Pez dispenser with the candy with it. Acouple days/weeks ago yet another pez package,and today we found scented shampoo and a bar of soap. Why don't people understand that if it remotely smells like food, then it shouln't be in a cache.

Sorry for the micro-rant, but does anybody else see this the same way that I do?

Lost? I'm not lost. At least I don't think I'm lost, well............OK, maybe just a little.

I encouraged my son (Age 4) to take a Pez from a recent cache knowing it would attract all manner of things. I also agree that avoiding anything with a strong smell for the same reasons. I have run across scented candles in some caches.

I make computing clear!

Thank goodnes I am down under. A cache is not a good cache unless it is full of chocolates, candles, shampoo, hand-cream, fruit bars etc.

No hungry critters or varmints out here. Please tell me just what is a varmint. I thought that was just something out of the Beverly Hillbillies.

I will stick with our roos and drop bears.

icon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

Thank goodnes I am down under. A cache is not a good cache unless it is full of chocolates, candles, shampoo, hand-cream, fruit bars etc.

No hungry critters or varmints out here. Please tell me just what is a varmint. I thought that was just something out of the Beverly Hillbillies.

I will stick with our roos and drop bears.

icon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

Rather depends on where the cache is located...out in the middle of the desert here you could fill a cache with Hersey Bars and the rattlers and scorps would careless. HOWEVER.... it would be rather messy in Aug. Now if you added some grahm crackers and marshmellows.... SMORES!

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." Yogi Berra

JeepNAz@aol.com

Gee I am sure glad this came up, normally when hiding a cache I will just hide the container say behind a tree. I will then take a piece of rope andswing it over the nearest branch above the cache. I will then take a ventilated nylon bag and fill it with pounds of meat and hoist it up the tree. I also bring out a deer feeder and fill it with all manner of animal food and set it about 5 feet away from the cacheand let it do its thing. I also hide those really big bear traps all around the cacheslightly buried, theres no way a bear could see them.

Is this wrong?

icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_razz.gificon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_razz.gificon_cool.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_cool.gif

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

Gee I am sure glad this came up, normally when hiding a cache I will just hide the container say behind a tree. I will then take a piece of rope andswing it over the nearest branch above the cache. I will then take a ventilated nylon bag and fill it with pounds of meat and hoist it up the tree. I also bring out a deer feeder and fill it with all manner of animal food and set it about 5 feet away from the cacheand let it do its thing. I also hide those really big bear traps all around the cacheslightly buried, theres no way a bear could see them.

Is this wrong?

icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_razz.gificon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_razz.gificon_cool.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_cool.gif

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SNIFTER:

Thank goodnes I am down under. A cache is not a good cache unless it is full of chocolates,... icon_biggrin.gif

I've heard plenty about Freddos and Tim Tams. I'd like to try some.

Any one know WHERE you can get these in the States? If not, is there an internet source that ships here? I can find internet sources but the ones I find only ship to the UK.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SNIFTER:

Thank goodnes I am down under. A cache is not a good cache unless it is full of chocolates,... icon_biggrin.gif

I've heard plenty about Freddos and Tim Tams. I'd like to try some.

Any one know WHERE you can get these in the States? If not, is there an internet source that ships here? I can find internet sources but the ones I find only ship to the UK.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. icon_smile.gif

There's are lots of caches around here with stuff like mints, powerbars and dog treats.

I've always been advised that the foil wrappers are not going to hide the scent from bears and this IS bear country!

On the other hand, I keep FINDING the stuff, so apparently the critters have not found them....

I ask that NO FOOD ANY KIND be put in my caches, please!

BTW: As I understand it, a Varmint is a nuisance critter larger than a vermin. The kind of things that farmers

and ranchers kill to protect crops and livestock.

quote:
Originally posted by Misguided One:

I just visited another cache that was laoded with critter-bait. Why must people put things into caches that smell sweet and tasty (especially to varmints). The first cache I found like this had cocoa-butter scented hand lotion in it and a packaged Pez dispenser with the candy with it. Acouple days/weeks ago yet another pez package,and today we found scented shampoo and a bar of soap. Why don't people understand that if it remotely smells like food, then it shouln't be in a cache.

Sorry for the micro-rant, but does anybody else see this the same way that I do?

Lost? I'm not lost. At least I don't think I'm lost, well............OK, maybe just a little.

quote:
Originally posted by The KGB:

Is this wrong?

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/avatar/46113_400.jpg

_The KGB_

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=46113

ROFLMAO!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Not wrong, just Strange!

quote:
Originally posted by The KGB:

Is this wrong?

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/avatar/46113_400.jpg

_The KGB_

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=46113

ROFLMAO!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Not wrong, just Strange!

Sorry for the varmints and critters running loose in the forums. I'm originally from Texas, and sometimes I type the way I talk.

I brought the subject up because of the possums, raccoons, and coyotes we have living around the urban areas of the Pacific NW, and the fact that people don't use any common since when it comes to placing items in a cache container.

The guidelines for placing a cache should probably be amended to include scented items as well.

Just my $0.02

quote:
Originally posted by Douglas E. Welch:

I encouraged my son (Age 4) to take a Pez from a recent cache knowing it would attract all manner of things. I also agree that avoiding anything with a strong smell for the same reasons. I have run across scented candles in some caches.

I make computing clear!

scented candles, i thought about placing them in a cache but decided if an animal didnt eat them, they would melt inside the cache when it got hot.

like misguided one says i think the guidelines should be changed to include scented items as items to NOT be placed in caches, these include:

soap

perfume

scented candles

scented fishing lures

I never leave any foodstuffs in caches. There are many black bears around this area, the last thing I want is someone to get mauled while hunting a cache. Little critter may destroy a tupperware container trying to get at something, but a 400Lb bear may destroy me trying to get to that same container...so please...keep the food in your pack, and leave something else when you geocache!

Thanks

I had thought about buying tubes of lip balm to trade in caches, but then thought it through a little more. Bears and other critters don't know that what they are smelling is lip balm (or fruit scented candles) - they just know they smell berrys or mint or whatever. So I have decided against putting lip balm in caches. Even if there are no bears, raccoons are very smart and could really do a number on a plastic container. And Raccoons are everywhere! I have seen more on the city streets than in the country, so even urban caches are not safe. I try to trade fun and/or useful items and I will now include unscented in my trade item criteria.

-Donna G

" posted March 30, 2002 04:46 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hairspray-dioderant-cologhn

it pisses of bears when the catch it's scent

i saw it on tv"they pute one teddybear unscented and one scented-the bear thrashed the scented one!"

I just have to do it....

Hairspray-deodorant-cologne

it pisses off bears when they catch it's scent

I saw it on tv they put one teddy-bear unscented and one scented-the bear thrashed the scented one

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

There's are lots of caches around here ...

And where is "around here". It would be helpful if you would list you town or at least your state where you live so we can see. I know this was on another thread, but why don't people post where they live so the rest of us can make head or tails of your posts??

Alan icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

There's are lots of caches around here ...

And where is "around here". It would be helpful if you would list you town or at least your state where you live so we can see. I know this was on another thread, but why don't people post where they live so the rest of us can make head or tails of your posts??

Alan icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

why don't people post where they live so the rest of us can make head or tails of your posts??

If you're curious about where someone lives, a quick way to get a pretty good idea is to click on their name, and then from their info page, follow the links to where they've been placing and finding caches.

[This message was edited by Zuckerruebensirup on March 30, 2002 at 08:54 PM.]

Zuck,

That's a good tip, but I doubt if anyone is that interested in where someone else lives. It's more for a convenience sake.

Ok.... what about canned food? Can they be an exception? I'm not one to rock the boat (yes I am) but if I were to occasionally place a canned food item, would that be so bad?

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Ok.... what about canned food? Can they be an exception? I'm not one to rock the boat (yes I am) but if I were to occasionally place a canned food item, would that be so bad?

Jamie

I'll let you know after I stick a can of dog food out in my back yard, and see if the local rats break out their can opener to get whats inside. icon_biggrin.gif

BTW check out this page. icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Jamie

I'll let you know after I stick a can of dog food out in my back yard, and see if the local rats break out their can opener to get whats inside. icon_biggrin.gif

BTW check out this page. icon_frown.gif

As well as putting lots of chocolate and other assorted food stuffs in my caches I also BURY most of my caches. Maybe our wild animal population is dumb. Our kangaroos and emus can't go backwards and our koalas cant drink and our dingos think that babies are good tucker.

icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

As well as putting lots of chocolate and other assorted food stuffs in my caches I also BURY most of my caches. Maybe our wild animal population is dumb. Our kangaroos and emus can't go backwards and our koalas cant drink and our dingos think that babies are good tucker.

icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

quote:
One of the items in the very FIRST cache was a can of beans!

all i know is the first cache was placed before the year 1900

the settlers would place supplies on the trails and on there properties and call the cache stashes

use the land or lose it to developers forever

----------------------------------------------

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CacheAcrossAmerica

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?u=KD7MXI

http://www.cachunuts.com

"Around here" is where the bears and I live. Duh.

Seriously Alan, this is second time you've given me attitude about not having my city listed. No one else seems to have a problem with it. The last time you asked, I listed my city, and when the forum software was updated, my profile was apparently reset. Truthfully, I'd imagine that some people don't list thier locations because it's none of your business.

quote:

Alan icon_confused.gif

"Around here" is where the bears and I live. Duh.

Seriously Alan, this is second time you've given me attitude about not having my city listed. No one else seems to have a problem with it. The last time you asked, I listed my city, and when the forum software was updated, my profile was apparently reset. Truthfully, I'd imagine that some people don't list thier locations because it's none of your business.

quote:

Alan icon_confused.gif

ApK,

Just so Alan isn't alone... I'm going to post a request for folks to list their locations too.

I don't "have a problem with it," but it sure is nice to know where someone is referring when they talk about their area.

Of course it's none of our business... but there's lots of things that aren't anyone's business but we make public. If you choose to keep your location private, that's fine... it's just hard to make use of information you provide regarding a specific place when we don't know where that is.

I'm sure Alan doesn't "have a problem with it," either, but you told a story about your area. Alan was only doing the equivalent to saying, "That's some interesting information, where does that happen?"

Really, it's not a big issue. Don't get all worked up.

Jamie