Six degrees of Markwellation

oregone

This is fascinating, but I don't have many finds, which means I don't likely have degrees of markwell separtion. Regardless, I became a lawyer because I'm bad at math and statistics despite my overly scientific parents (entomologists). Yes, I know that it can be researched without math, but it seems mathmematical to me which makes me almost go into convulsions! At the same time, the anal lawyer part of me wants to check it out.

Thanks for the time consuming identity crisis that will likely never pan out! Ack!

pokeanim3.gif

I can get within 3 degrees of Markwell from my FIRST FIND, which was Bonnie Blink on June 6th. Two tenths of a mile from the house, we walked to it and found it without a GPSr.

Recently, The Lil Otter visited the Pittsburgh area and also found Bonnie Blink. Back home in Wisconsin, Otter also found Potter's Paraphernalia, which was also found by Genius Loci.

Genius Loci found Putt Putt Geocaching, which was found by Markwell on August 8th.

So, Markwell casts his wide net both to the west and to the east.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitos?

I placed A Cache For A Queen in NJ, which was found by RobertLipe on May 19, 2002.

RobertLipe found Xterra Plant Tour 2001 in TN on Jan.20, 2002.

Markwell logged the Xterra cache on July 27, 2001.

I'm sure it would have been even easier if I had used virtual/locationless caches, or Markwell's photographer's caches. I chose to limit it to physical caches, so there would be a physical tie to Markwell. I can feel the bond already!

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Markwell and I found "Cameron Woods Fairy Cache by Mike & Stef" in Iowa.

Now, I'd say that's pretty good since we live 2300 miles apart!

BTW Markwell, I see from your log at the cache that you found the stinging nettles. I was wearing shorts and itched and stung all the way to Clinton, IL.

I would really rather NOT believe!

Ok, I can't get across enough how doomed I am to find a degree of markwell. Now that I see an Iowa cache involving him, I have another start for searching (not to mention people with multiple finds at my caches that will lead to more finds by those finders and the people who found that cache and the caches they found and the finders of those caches etc...) Ack! I'm DOOMED, DOOMED I tell you! I guess I'll spend my Thanksgiving time off solving this! Why do this? WHY?!?!

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

I placed http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=15398&log=y&decrypt= in NJ, which was found by http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=32733 on May 19, 2002.

RobertLipe found http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=3121&log=y&decrypt= in TN on Jan.20, 2002.

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=5518 logged the Xterra cache on July 27, 2001.

There are probably other cachers that have been in the home grounds of both Markwell and Mopar, but I've travelled to both. This particular connection, however, fills me with tinglies. On Xterra, Markwell commented, "there is a great deal of broken glass and rusty metal along the shoreline" and I helped clean it up by helping to get he Middle Tennessee Geocaching Club http://www.mtgc.org out there to "trash out". You can see the photos at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cachelog_details.asp?ID=114693&L=671220 . I've also cached in Markwell's home area.

Mopar's "Cache for a Queen" (that I made it a point to seek out though it's some 800-ish miles from home) was at least partially inspired by the tale of my geocaching wife that's handicapped. I've also cached in Mopar's home area.

I suppose that's not much separation from two dudes I've never met...But that's sort of the point, isn't it?

Interesting idea...

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

Ok, I can't get across enough how doomed I am to find a degree of markwell.

Your Markwellian number comes pretty easy.

Several of the caches you've found were found by BruceS. Connecting BruceS to {jogps,southpaw,myself} is pretty easy. (Bruce was at a geocache meeting in TN and JoGPS and Southpaw were at the BruceS 1K celebration, plus we all have overlapping zones so it's trivial to connect us.) Connecting JoGPS, SouthPaw, and me to Markwell is easy - while I don't think we found any of Markwell's on our recent trip to Chicago, we certainly found caches that he did.

Hint: follow the numbers. Cachers with big numbers will almost necessarily have wide "zones" and connect well with remoties.

Man, it seems that this Markwell dude is on EVERY STINKING page of a cache I've found. Sheesh.

Um - So I think my number is.. what ... zero? icon_wink.gif

carleenp

Nov 23, you found Signature Cache,

which was found

Nov 18 by BruceS, who has found any number of Geocaches in the Chicago area (his second home). I can't believe he's already at 1337!

Most recently, BruceS found DryDock on Nov 13, which Markwell found on Nov 23.

The University of Virginia's Computer Science Department has the Oracle of Bacon and Star Links (any actor to any actor). When they use the Internet Movie Database, they use the most recent connections.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Since the geocaching community is comparatively small, I think it would be a short order to connect practically any reasonably active cacher to any other; especially to those from major metropolitan areas.

Is it possible the entire World is infected? Are we too late?

wavey.gif

"Pi 'r not square, Pie 'r round you dummy!"

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Since the geocaching community is comparatively small, I think it would be a short order to connect practically any reasonably active cacher to any other; especially to those from major metropolitan areas.

I agree. I expected to have to take some time to figure this one out. I thought that the best would be two degrees through Slayerette, but I noticed that he found Xterra Plant Tour 2001 shortly after I did.

I suspect that we all could link to any active cacher such as Peter Robson through less than six leaps.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Markwell found This Cache which was placed by Clownsrscary, Rubbertoe is afraid of clowns and I used the scary clown picture as an avatar for a couple of days! How many degrees is that? I really tried to find some connection via caches but my head was starting to hurt looking for it. Could be from all the white stuff on the ground outside blinding me! We got about 6 inches of snow last night. It's a winter wonderland!

Cache you later,

Planet

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, But Three Lefts Do.

quote:
Originally posted by rdw:

It would be really cool to see the Markwellation for other continents. South Africa cachers to Markwell, for example, might be tricky.

I'm not in South Africa, but I can do it from the UK:

Square D found by Markwell and Walkin Stick

Battle of Four Lakes found by Walkin Stick and Kodak's4

Valley Garden Park found by Kodak's4 and StayFloopy

Tea Party Cache found by StayFloopy and jonboy

London Travel bug drop box found by jonboy and Chris n Maria

The Weedon Road found by Chris n Maria and SimonG

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jcmatwf js g wjl, g pjjz ta dgo'a pfam shtfow. Toatwf js g wjl, tm'a mjj wghz mj hfgw. - Lhjcrxj Dghu

[This message was edited by SimonG on November 27, 2002 at 08:51 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by rdw:

It would be really cool to see the Markwellation for other continents. South Africa cachers to Markwell, for example, might be tricky.

rdw

Not really, I just did a tiny bit of looking, and I'm fairly certain I can link to Markwell via South Africa and the UK.

Tricky Vicky & Mickey has finds in both the UK and SA, I'm sure I can make I tie in thru there. Heck, A local cacher for me, Artful Dodger, has placed caches here in the NJ/NY area, the UK, and SA. Toss in a CCCooperAgency, JoeGPS or a BruceS, and I'm sure I can do it.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Whee! I found a Markwellation from Indonesia that goes via me!

Indonesia One - Bali has one finder, who appears to be from the UK. I wasn't sure whether cache placings counted for degrees of Markwellation, but if someone was bored they could probably also work out a Markwell-Indonesia connection that way.

The way "separations" work is that I'm the only one with a "0". Here's what the Oracle of Bacon says when you put in Kevin Bacon. "Kevin Bacon has a Bacon number of 0."

You could argue that someone like FallenFaery, Dr Spyro, or Genius Loci that I have actually cached with would be 0 as well, as those are actually the SAME finds, but it's more like they're 0.5.

Any cacher that has either found my caches or found the same caches I did would be considered a "1".

In reading the Oracle of Bacon, it seems that the fun isn't necessarily finding how close you are - but ultimately it's interesting to find those cachers that have the REALLY high Markwellation numbers. A interesting case would be a cacher that placed a new cache, no one found it, he archived it, and he never logged another cache. He would have an infinite Markwellation number.

=====================

Runaround - Sorry! I misread your post thinking that Rubbertoe had found Three Armed Beaver - duh!

=====================

SimonG - You could take out quite a few steps by allowing the Photographer's Caches. Chris n Maria found one of the Photographer's Caches on 7/28/2002 at Picadilly Circus.

=====================

A final note - if you're only going to allow traditional caches, then you need to leave Shaggy and Scooby off the list. They're travellers.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

[This message was edited by Markwell on November 27, 2002 at 10:46 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer & Dean:

SO, how many people have moved a travel bug that Markwell owns or has found? I don't think we have, but it is an important question...

To aid in that search...

Geoffrey

Aquaman

Superman

Batman

Wonder Woman

Illuvian

Rad Man

TC

Mitsuko - still pending release

Racer X

Scoob and Shag

Elmo Wave Runner

Mowgli

Kimi

Mosey Raider

The Backpack

The Phoenix

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Mine's at most 2, through Rest in Peace? and A King's Ransom via Indy Diver. However, I'm wondering if I can claim 1.5 via Critters, which was found by kidCraZy, who I've "cached with" in the sense that we both found the Fort Wayne Geocaching Picnic at the same time.

Also, I think there should be a special level for people who hid caches that Markwell found, or who hid caches that a person with a Markwell number of 1 found, or whatever.

warm.gif

I dunno... I think we need new rules here. icon_smile.gif

If you find a Cache that has been found by Markwell, thats a 1.

But I think if you find a Cache that has been placed by Markwell, that can be a 0.5

Then if you actually find Markwell, that can be a 0.25....

Then if you find his wallet, that can be a free trip to Disneyland... icon_wink.gif

66427_2800.gif

PS. And yes, Travelers and travel bugs should count.

quote:
Originally posted by Centaur:

I dunno... I think we need new rules here. icon_smile.gif

If you find a Cache that has been found by Markwell, thats a 1.

But I think if you find a Cache that has been placed by Markwell, that can be a 0.5

Then if you actually find Markwell, that can be a 0.25....

Then if you find his wallet, that can be a free trip to Disneyland... icon_wink.gif

And if you Markwell Markwell, how many points is that?

ntga_button.gifweb-lingbutton.gif