Premium Membership ????

We have been thinking about becoming premium members to the site. We were wondering if a list of Premium options could be listed. Specifically what kind of different cache search options do you get? Night only caches, etc. Also we do not have a PDA so would we be missing out on some of the premium options because we dont have one?

How come the needle in my compass is 68? off?

premium-perks.gif

The PocketQueries also allow you to get cache listings in GPX format, which contains the cache description and all the other good stuff. You don't have to have a PDA to take advantage of them.

It's well worth the three bucks a month, IMHO. Not only do you get the perks, but you help keep the site going as well.

--

Random fortune:

sigimage.php

Yeah, all the above. Most importantly, you get to support a community that you love... but the choice is yours, that's what I like. I'm not forced to pay a service but I do because it's free and I like it... make sense?

Two men are walking down the street. The first man walks into the bar. The second man ducks...

I don't have a PDA, but I use the Pocket Queries to extract caches that I dump into an Access database.

If you're thinking about subscribing just to get a bunch of extras, save your money. If you're thinking of subscribing to help support the website and to allow for additional features to be added over time, with a couple of little perks on the side, you'll be making a great investment.

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif

I *do* have PDAs, but I use my Pocket Queries in Watcher a *whole* lot more than I use them otherwhere. (Feel free to go take a look at some of the Watcher screenshots in the "Feature Presentation" or just ask in the official geocaching chat... they'll be able to tell you about it.)

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

I have to admit that the membership benefits are a bit lacking, but consider it more of a donation in support of this great site, which makes everything well worth it.

And the pocket queries combined with Watcher may be the nicest feature.

My time, your time is limited, but time itself is unlimited.

I originally got a premium membership because I wanted to hide a cache and there was a member's only cache along the same trail. I had to join to find out the location of the member's only cache so that I could place my cache more than .1 miles away.

I don't have a PDA and thought what good would pocket queries do for me. Then I discovered Clayjar's Watcher program. I can load the gpx file from the pocket query and sort the data every which way, read the latest logs, even select waypoints to export which I then can load into mapping software or into my GPSr. And its much faster than the website which can get quite slow at time. (Of course I hope that my premium membership might help Jeremy afford some faster servers icon_smile.gif )

-- I found it in the last place I looked.[/i

[This message was edited by tozainamboku on May 28, 2003 at 01:51 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Team Kender:

Am I totally insane with wishfull thinking or do I remember someone writing that you get 30 megs of space for your personal Geocaching stuff?...

Naww, I think it was more like 60 megs and a brand new Garmin V.

But if you're still wondering about your sanity, just post your question as a poll; you'll get plenty of authoritative opinions. icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

There are two ways of looking at premium membership, in my opinion.

The first is cost/benefit analysis. If you think that the extras you get as a premium member are worth the price, pony up.

The second is 'to support the site'. If you love caching and geocaching.com, then its likely worth it to you to give a few bucks to pay the people who run it. Since you have only 15 finds, you may not be at a point to make this decision yet. No one is going to think less of you for waiting to decide. The fact is, there is a higher precentage of premium members who are active in the forums than not. Therefore, the overwhelming feeling in the forums is that everyone should be a premium member.

No one can make that decision but you.

Of course, if you choose not to become a member, don't be surprised when your forum question is answered with ' become a premium member and use pockets queries. They do what you need.'

the best reason to support it is simply to support the site.

i love that you can play without paying, and i love that paying members can help sustain and expand this sport that i love.

i still do all my information management by hand (i LIKE it that way- i actually keep a handwritten log of all my caches and benchmarks), so i don't use the features much. it just makes me feel like a stand-up member of the community.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

I would have to agree with just about everybody in here. I first joined after about 75 finds. I figured that I was having so much fun with this, it was worth supporting, and that if it ever went down due to lack of funding I would want to know I did my part.

I also wanted to mention one feature not mentioned yet: Unlimited watch list.

Night Hunter

usacoolflag.gif

I, Madam, I made radio!! So I dared!! Am I mad?? AM I????

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

quote:
Originally posted by Team Kender:

Am I totally insane with wishfull thinking or do I remember someone writing that you get 30 megs of space for your personal Geocaching stuff?...

Naww, I think it was more like 60 megs and a brand new Garmin V.

But if you're still wondering about your sanity, just post your question as a poll; you'll get plenty of authoritative opinions. icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

I also thought I heard that with a Premium Membership, Jeremy will show up and do your dishes after big dinner parties. Now that's not crazy, that's a deal!

*banging head on desk to make the voices stop*

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."