Your city typical hiding spots

Guest leskowitz

Guest leskowitz

I am just curious. I notice that in a picture of the howl at the moon cache that it was basically in a ceament ditch. Is that what happens when you city gets full, you start hitting the slums, ditches, and alleys. Here in Houston, Parks are the popular hiding spots. Where are your caches in the life cycle of caching from your area? Parks, medians, alleys, ditchs, peoples back yards, etc.

Guest BigDoggie

Take a look at this one, which just showed up in Atlanta courtesy of a traveling trainer. Apparently, there is a tradition in some areas of hiding caches within high-rise office buildings!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=6261

------------------

Interested in Geocaching in the state of Georgia? Visit the Georgia Geocachers Association home page at http://www.ggaonline.org

You can place caches in stores if the owner wants to play along.Give the location of the store and the hours it's open in the post but not the name of the store. If you place the cache in the middle of the block people might have to go to three stores before they find the right one. Also, I've seen maps that show the location on the wrong side of the street-especially MapBlast maps. Finding a cache in town might be harder than you think!

------------------

dwr50

"Full-Time RV'ers can REALLY cachin"

Guest Vagabond

quote:
Originally posted by BigDoggie:

Take a look at this one, which just showed up in Atlanta courtesy of a traveling trainer. Apparently, there is a tradition in some areas of hiding caches within high-rise office buildings!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=6261

Actually The tuna places most of his on mountain tops I know from logging most of them, and they are very accurate usually they have been within 2ft. I chided him on one of his early ones because it was off by 4 feet

Guest Markwell

Tuna struck again? Last one he did away from California was Drury Lane Theatre, also in a very urban setting: right off of a major road.

Kinda sounds like Batman - by day he's a mild-mannered Geocacher, hiking mountain streams and plateau's, but by night, he's UrbanMan!

Guest T-storm

quote:
Originally posted by leskowitz:

I am just curious. I notice that in a picture of the howl at the moon cache that it was basically in a ceament ditch. Is that what happens when you city gets full, you start hitting the slums, ditches, and alleys. Here in Houston, Parks are the popular hiding spots.

Well, you really confused me... the cache I know by the name "Howl at the Moon" is http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=5429 which is in a Texas state park, far from being a concrete urban cache... I found the one you seemed to be discussing, "Wolves Howling at the Moon" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=2157

Aside from that, while I'd prefer lovely tree covered parks, or beautiful water features, or a site with historical significance, I do find other places interesting. I set one virtual cache in what would definitely be an urban setting because I thought the activity at that site was interesting to watch. I would suppose that the person who set this one thought the murals or graffiti were interesting. I know the city of Dallas has recently been reviewing ordinances to guide the placement of building-side murals or super-ads... if there was one of sufficient quality or interest to me, I suppose I might set up a virtual cache for it.

But to answer the question, most of the caches I've visited in Tarrant county (Fort Worth) or Denton county (next one north) were in parks of varying degrees of interest. We're just getting to the point of travelling to Dallas county and Collin county (north of Dallas) to see what's there, but from the listings, most of those seem to be in parks as well. Also planning a trip in about 6 weeks to hit a few caches around Dinosaur Valley State Park. Should be fun!

T-storm

Guest GeoForse

quote:
Originally posted by leskowitz:

I am just curious. I notice that in a picture of the howl at the moon cache that it was basically in a ceament ditch. Is that what happens when you city gets full, you start hitting the slums, ditches, and alleys.

Well, If you saw the picture in this forum, I am the one who posted it. I posted it in response to a call for weird pictures from a cache. The cache site is not entirely as it seems in the picture. It is not a slum, ceament(sic) ditch, or alley. It is part of an old Army base and what you see are part of the old fortifications. In the immediate area is an artist's colony, a Korean shrine, a gorgeous view of the south bay shoreline. It is all part of Angel's Gate Park. Did you read the cache description?? If so, you would have noted that it is an extremely popular cache site. Since it was posted on May 2, it has been logged 43 times and filled up two cameras!!

Despite the appearance of the picture, It's really a very nice cache!!! You would enjoy it should you visit there.

[This message has been edited by GeoForse (edited 06 September 2001).]