North...True ,Magnetic or what?

Guest bearboy

Guest justdrivin

Bearboy, I think it depends on where you are as far as how much the declination affects you. As I am in Atlanta, my adjustment would only be 2 degrees, which a very active cacher pointed out is negligible...I might be off 2 notches on my compass bezel. Anyway, here is a piece of another response, with a good declination map at the site given."As far as a compass is concerned, buy one where you can set declination (magnetic deviation from True North). Depending upon where you are in CA you will need to adjust it anywhere from 14 to 19 degrees East. You can find a declination map of the United States at www.spacecom.com ". Go to "customer tools", then "satellite maps", then "declination maps".

Guest Gliderguy

I have started using magnetic. it is about 12 degrees different here in New Mexico. If you set the GPS to magnetic you dont have to worry about getting a compass that allows declination.

either way, let the gps do the conversion or figure the declination and remember to apply it to your compass heading. just dont do both unless you live in Central Tennesee. icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Gliderguy (edited 19 August 2001).]

Guest Gliderguy

I have started using magnetic. it is about 12 degrees different here in New Mexico. If you set the GPS to magnetic you dont have to worry about getting a compass that allows declination.

either way, let the gps do the conversion or figure the declination and remember to apply it to your compass heading. just dont do both unless you live in Central Tennesee. icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Gliderguy (edited 19 August 2001).]