A means of unloading stuff?

hoovman

I've only visited one cache so far, and I did a leave-something-and-take-something. But I'm thinking for subsequent cashes that I may do leave-something-and-take-nothing, unless there's really somthing I'd like to have.

I have loads of potential cache-fodder at home that I never look at but can't seem to bring myself to throw away. Has anyone else considered geocaching as a means of emptying out drawers of "perfectly good" but useless (to me) stuff?

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I don't often find much that i want to trade for, so far the best thign I have found was a garden hose shut off valve which still had its 87 cent price tag on it. I had been looking for one for a while and never coudl find one, so I was very happy to find it in a cache. Though i do trade for things that i dont' think should be in a cache or thigns that have become dirty or damaged in a cache that leaks. I will pick up things if I know of a themed cache that they would fit in, (this also give me reason to go to themed caches) But I am definately in it for the hunt. Though I do have a lot of things that I don't need that are perfectly good so I can't bring myself to throw away. Myabe someone would like to find them in a cache like the little valve for me.

Eeyore

It took a GPS to get me away from technology.

Bless you, Hoovman, for "getting it" right from the start of your geocaching career. Many new people (myself included) are all excited at first, about the trinkets to be found. A good cache is one that has good trinkets. This wears off very quickly for many people. Sometimes, though, it never wears off, as for some families who cache with kids.

After awhile, the focus is more on the thrill of the hunt, the satisfaction of the find, and the enjoyment of the location. The trinkets become secondary or irrelevant. Like Squirrell Nut, I now only trade when I really feel like it, but I nearly ALWAYS leave something in a cache. I've long since cleaned out my junk drawers (somewhere around the 25th find) so now everything I place was bought in a store. Other people use hand-crafted items or other personalized signature items or "Where's George?" dollars. I view leaving more than you take as "giving back" to the sport, to keep the caches well-stocked so that new cachers and little kids will be excited when they see a brand-new toy or camping item. It counteracts the plunderers and the people who don't trade fairly ("took the pocket tool kit, left a golf ball").

To sum up:

Took something, left something of similar value: cool.

Took nothing, left something that isn't junk: cool.

Took nothing, left nothing: cool.

Took something, left nothing: not cool.

Took something of value, left junk: not cool.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitos?

Absolutely! When my mom died in 1992, I bought out my brother's share of our old home (couldn't bear to see the place go since I grew up there). My mom was a HUGE pack rat, and unfortunately, I "inherited" all of the crap that she'd accumulated over the 30+ years living there. Most of it is nice stuff, but stuff I don't have any interest in keeping. Here it is ten years later and we STILL haven't brought ourselves to the realization that it would be a good thing to take about a week and go through all the trinkets in desk drawers, in the basement, in cabinets, etc. When I discovered Geocaching, I found a great outlet to slowly unload these items. Most of them are definitely "trade-up" items. I've started a sort of organized process of loading up my backpack with her things whenever I go out cache hunting and fitting as much into each cache I find as will fit. After about another thirty years or so, I figure all the stuff will be gone and I'll quit caching in favor of golf or something. icon_smile.gif

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

Yup... I am getting rid of my good stuff too. In Port Orford, Oregon, the Rabbit Hole cache currently holds my old, good tape recorder I don't need anymore. I am waiting for some cacher to snag it with delight... you never know what folks may need that you do not.

I'm one of those who try to leave the cache better off than I found it, if possible.

-Elana (a.k.a. "sparrowhawk" and formerly a.k.a. "falcospav" here on this site.)

quote:
Originally posted by Blue Man:

It's always interesting to find someone else's trinkets, but I seem to find caches where it looks as if someone reached under their car seat and extracted whatever was lurking there, only to deposit in the cache in trade for some item of excellence. Some people never change, I guess.

I didn't think about all that crap under my car seat! Make that thirty-five years.

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by hoovman:

I've only visited one cache so far, and I did a leave-something-and-take-something. But I'm thinking for subsequent cashes that I may do leave-something-and-take-nothing, unless there's really somthing I'd like to have.

I have loads of potential cache-fodder at home that I never look at but can't seem to bring myself to throw away. Has anyone else considered geocaching as a means of emptying out drawers of "perfectly good" but useless (to me) stuff?

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

I see you haven't placed a cache yet. You should try it. You seem to have enough stuff all you need now is to find a place, agonize over it for a month ( I'm in my 3rd week) and then put it out for others to find. This weekend will be #1,#2 and #3 for us. I hope.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

quote:
Originally posted by freelens/mosie:

I see you haven't placed a cache yet. You should try it.

I may place one sometime, but I've read it's a good idea to get some experience finding them first. In fact, I think there's a thread that mentions a 10:1 ratio.

I'm going after my second cache tomorrow.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by hoovman:

quote:
Originally posted by freelens/mosie:

I see you haven't placed a cache yet. You should try it.

I may place one sometime, but I've read it's a good idea to get some experience finding them first. In fact, I think there's a thread that mentions a 10:1 ratio.

I'm going after my second cache tomorrow.

Hoovman, I'm nominating you for Newbie of the Month. It's much appreciated when people take the time to learn the sport. When you do place a cache, I'm sure it will be a good one and worth the wait.

Freelens - if you are "agonizing" about your cache placements, I think there is a chatroom somewhere, for you to ask questions and stuff. You should really check it out sometime.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitos?

I have a whole drawer filled with costume jewelry and single earrings and things like that. I was thinking of starting a cache called "treasure chest" or something like that and filling it with jewelry. At least little girls might like the stuff for dress-ups. Or others might like it. Thre are plenty of people out there with only one ear pierced. It's just stuff I've gotten tired of wearing or someone gave me that doesn't match my personality.

Cache you later,

Planet

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, But Three Lefts Do.

For example, I've got lot's of paperback books, cds, computer games....stuff like that that I won't read again or use, but could be of great interest to someone else.

I've got tons of "good" stuff that I don't really use anymore. Another example.....I've got a Handspring PDA that I paid $250 for. I NEVER use the thing anymore. I'm debating leaving it in a future cache....I'm sure someone would like it. However, the cache I leave it in will be a very difficult one....got my eyes on a cache that involves a 3 hour hike up a peak at altitude. I want to make someone work for a quality cache item like that.

I like that idea Planet. A local cache (Trade Beads) has a really nice odds-n-ends collection from a beader. I am in the process of acquireing 50 years of antique clutter from a relative. I am gonna have to set up a Clutter Cache and see what I can load it with. Anyone (other than me) think Antique vases (minis) and old figurines are good items?

-Jen

quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer & Dean:

I like that idea Planet. A local cache (Trade Beads) has a really nice odds-n-ends collection from a beader. I am in the process of acquireing 50 years of antique clutter from a relative. I am gonna have to set up a Clutter Cache and see what I can load it with. Anyone (other than me) think Antique vases (minis) and old figurines are good items?

-Jen

I'll trade you my treasure chest for your clutter cache!

Cache you later,

Planet

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, But Three Lefts Do.

Great, now I have 2 problems when I hide my first cache:

1. How am I going to lug the steamer trunk to the location?

-and-

2. How am I going to camouflage it?

Just kidding! I'll probably start with one of those semi-disposable Tupperware-type containers that Glad and others make.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:

In the beginning, most of my caches were full of this kind of stuff. A lot of it very decent stuff and sometimes not cheap. Generally it was stuff that I received as gifts, but had no use for. Or things that I had duplicates of. By now, I've gotten rid of most of that stuff, so the majority of things I use now are things I buy specifically for the caches.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

quote:

quote:

Hoovman, I'm nominating you for Newbie of the Month. It's much appreciated when people take the time to learn the sport. When you do place a cache, I'm sure it will be a good one and worth the wait.

I went out and found a few caches the first 2 weeks after I learned about Geocaching. I was all set to hide my first one until the unthinkable happened. I lost my GPSr! I finally saved enough to replace it just before hunting season and just started caching again. I've found a good spot, now I just need to add some items to my container before I place it.