How do you protect your dog while caching?

Alan2

I've used Frontline for Buddy but he's still been bit and come down with both Lyme and Rocky Mountain Spotted fever. So I upped the application for once every month to every 3 weeks. We'll see.

What do you do for your pet to keep it healthy against ticks, bugs, snakes and other varmints?

Alan

My dog is protected from everything.

He only exists in my mind. Imaginary dogs are so easy to care for.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

I use frontline but she was still getting ticks every now and then. My vet gave me a collar called Preventic. Works great. Ask your vet, or click here.

One time I bushwacked through very heavy brush for about 600 feet to a cache and I was covered from the knees down with deer ticks. Bella had absolutely no ticks. This was when I put it on fresh out of the box plus a couple of days after her frontline.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

quote:
Originally posted by CacheCreatures:

quote:
Originally posted by CacheCreatures:

Hi there. As you may already know from my previous logs I am a veterinary technician and love helping out anyway I can when it comes to dogs. Depending on the region of the US that you live will depend on the types of vaccinations and preventives that you will need to use. I will break it down and keep it simple. Anything you'd like me to elaborate on just let me know.

Vaccines: Rabies is a must, stay current on that. Usually once they are adults it is every 3 years, although some states require it annually. Another crucial vaccine is a the distemper/parvo combo. Given annually. Lymes helps, but is not a core vaccine to give. If your dog is prone to getting ticks though, keep them current on this one.

In general a good flea products is a must. Fleas are dormant when it gets below 62 degrees, but how often do we let it get that cold in our homes? (the little stinkers can live in our carpets for months) _Advantage_ (flea only) is an awesome flea product-topical, once a month. Can use every 3 weeks if you have a bad flea problem. You can use a _Preventic_ collar(ticks) in combination with this, just be sure and change it every 3 months.

_Frontline_ (flea & tick) is pretty good. Although it doesn't seem to work as well for the fleas.

Now there is also _Advantics_(flea,tick,mosquito) this is fairly new on the market and so far has been fabulous. It is just as good as Advantage for fleas, but it also repels ticks and also repels mosquito's.

Right now I have our dog on Advantics. YOU CAN'T USE THIS ON CATS.

Don't bother with the crap that you get at the pet store. It doesn't work and can cause skin problems and Revolution is kinda sucky too.

Also Heartworm preventative is important. (Once again based on where you live) 2 good ones are Heartgard and Interceptor. There is also a 6 month injectable one called Proheart. Any of these choices are great. Heartworm is carried by mosquitos and is fatal is not treated.

Other than that I would recommend that when you take your happy tail wagging companion with you to check there paws when you get home and brush them. This will be an opportunity to check for ticks, any scratches, thistles, etc. Having a first-aid kit that is stocked for your pooch is good too. Bring water and poop bags (cache in/poop out)

Ok, so I thought I was going to keep this simple. icon_wink.gif Hope it all helps.

Joyce

_CacheCreatures are spreading... They can hide, but they can't run!_

_CacheCreatures are spreading... They can hide, but they can't run!_

CacheCreatures are spreading... They can hide, but they can't run!

Thanks CacheCreatures,

We live in a part of the country where fleas are active almost all year. Frontline seems to work best on our 5 pound Yorkshire Terrier. Heartguard is a must with all the flying micro-vampires in the area. We have just started training in the woods around the house so he can go Geocaching. He loves the woods! All those wonderful, natural smells! So far, so good!

Metro is so proud of his vets that he has a link to the vet office on his website (3rd Page). Metro's Web Siteicon_smile.gif

Bob ~

Isn't the best way to save face to keep the lower part shut?...Stephen Wright

The best program to keep dogs free and clear of fleas and ticks is to deploy a three phase attack.

1. Treat your yard with an approved granular or liquid insecticide.

2. Treat your dog with an approved topical insecticide.

3. Bomb your house with an approved aerosol insecticide.

If you can do all three of the above actions the same day, you have a good chance of breaking the insects life cycle.