Team FISUR Geocoin Preview

FISUR

Today we received a sample photo of the soon-to-be-minted Team FISUR geocoins. Hopefully, the image is not too blurry and will show up below, but if not, check out our profile page. The coin has our team motto and the map of Rhode Island (shown actual size, minus Block Island - sorry). And yes, we did receive prior permission for the coins. What do you think?

13929_2500.jpg

Now, those are some nice looking coins!!!

Could you please come to Worcester (MA) and

place on in a cache and then only tell ME about

it so I could have one ??

I'm curious, could you give me the details on the purchase (ie, vendor, cost, qty etc...)

I look forward to finding my first FISUR coin!

(Hey, brdad, something cool in NE!!)

---------------------------------------------------------------

"You're no verra sensible, Sassenach, but I like ye fine. Let's go."

quote:
Originally posted by Countess2002:

I'm curious, could you give me the details on the purchase (ie, vendor, cost, qty etc...)

I agree they are very nice. Could you post the purchasing details, also who did the reverse design?

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

quote:
Originally posted by FISUR:

... Rhode Island (shown actual size, minus Block Island - sorry).

Is that coin really as big as Rhode Island or is Rhode Island that small?

Women are like guns, keep one around long enough and you're going to want to shoot it.

Beautiful,

Very nice and yes please post where you had them done and the cost if you don't mind. That would make the perfect sig item.

Again, those look great.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Proud New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

quote:

There are a number of vendors with sites on the internet. We decided to go with Quality Challenge Coins (www.wemakecoins.com) which is in Pennsylvania. The Rhode Island map is from clip art which the vendor is licensed to use. If you do a search for "geocoins" in this forum, you'll come across the names of some additional vendors. We'll be paying $4.52 per coin for the first set, which includes the creation of the die. If we ordered another set (with geocaching.com's permission), we'd be paying $2.42 per coin. Have to go to work. FISUR

We just received the following e-mail from Bryan Roth at Groundspeak:

"Dear Team Fisur, Just a quick note regarding your geocoin: I realize that we gave you permission to use the logo in your designated format on the 100 coins. Since that time, our trademark attorneys have informed us that we must not allow modifications of the logo in order to enforce it. Understanding that you have already printed these, and in all fairness, we will continue to allow you to use them as signature items, as planned. If you wish to print more in the future, we will require a design change for the logo usage. If you have not printed them and it is not too much trouble to change the logo, we'd really appreciate that too. Thank you and Happy Geocaching! Sincerely, Bryan"

Well, at least we'll have 100 to pass out. But it'll be an additional investment to get a new die made, so these may be the first and last Team FISUR geocoins. icon_smile.gificon_frown.gif

So be sure to look for the new "limited edition" Team FISUR geocoins at a geocache near you.

Cache On, Team FISUR

We just received the following e-mail from Bryan Roth at Groundspeak:

"Dear Team Fisur, Just a quick note regarding your geocoin: I realize that we gave you permission to use the logo in your designated format on the 100 coins. Since that time, our trademark attorneys have informed us that we must not allow modifications of the logo in order to enforce it. Understanding that you have already printed these, and in all fairness, we will continue to allow you to use them as signature items, as planned. If you wish to print more in the future, we will require a design change for the logo usage. If you have not printed them and it is not too much trouble to change the logo, we'd really appreciate that too. Thank you and Happy Geocaching! Sincerely, Bryan"

Well, at least we'll have 100 to pass out. But it'll be an additional investment to get a new die made, so these may be the first and last Team FISUR geocoins. icon_smile.gificon_frown.gif

So be sure to look for the new "limited edition" Team FISUR geocoins at a geocache near you.

Cache On, Team FISUR

We will be providing a corrected die that people can use to print their own personal coins, if they like. This will be a shared investment that can be used within the community.

The issue with the design (as described to us by the lawyers) is that it is derivitive of the original logo. The logo itself was meant to be shared, but needs to do so in such a way that we don't lose the right to own it. It's one of only a few ways that we can define the Geocaching.com (and Groundspeak) vision of Geocaching. Otherwise someone that decides to create an underground form of the game couldn't associate themselves with their game by using this well known logo.

The logo usage guidelines do a better job at explaining this than I can.

I believe we do a pretty good job at allowing most uses of the logo. If someone doesn't become the "logo police," it'll get way out of hand and we will have all sorts of sites with their own vision of how the sport would be played. And all of them would show their "geocaching logo" as the same, so folks in the outside world can't tell them apart.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location