Generic AllTek battery charger from Thomas Distributing?

I posted this in the GPS units/software section, but haven't gotten any responses. Maybe someone here has some input?

Hi,

I recently ordered an AllTek AT-1268 Pro battery charger from Thomas Distributing. Ordering was fairly easy and it arrived in a timely manner and seems to work fine. However, I couldn't help but notice that the charger I received says only AT (no trademark) on the charger and the box does not mention AllTek at all. It just says "INtercept Universal Ni-Cd/Ni-MH Battery charger" and then says "AT" on the top of the box.

The instructions that were included are on a single photo-copied page that says "AllTek " but the page also says "© 2002 Thomas Distributing," so it's clearly something written by Thomas Distributing.

My question: Did I receive a knock-off/generic of the actual AllTek charger? (I called Thomas Distributing and they denied this saying that AllTek doesn't include their name and trademark on their box or battery charger.)

Sounds suspicious to me. Any thoughts?

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Monkeys:

I posted this in the GPS units/software section, but haven't gotten any responses. Maybe someone here has some input?

Hi,

I recently ordered an AllTek AT-1268 Pro battery charger from Thomas Distributing. Ordering was fairly easy and it arrived in a timely manner and seems to work fine. However, I couldn't help but notice that the charger I received says only AT (no trademark) on the charger and the box does not mention AllTek at all. It just says "INtercept Universal Ni-Cd/Ni-MH Battery charger" and then says "AT" on the top of the box.

The instructions that were included are on a single photo-copied page that says "AllTek " but the page also says "© 2002 Thomas Distributing," so it's clearly something written by Thomas Distributing.

My question: Did I receive a knock-off/generic of the actual AllTek charger? (I called Thomas Distributing and they denied this saying that AllTek doesn't include their name and trademark on their box or battery charger.)

Sounds suspicious to me. Any thoughts?

How can there be a knock-off of a cheap Chinese knock-off? I have the same charger. It works great, but I bet you won't find that AllTek has a web presence. I think Thomas included some printed material as a service to Western purchasers.

Bluespreacher

my WAG would be that they make a charger that can be sold under other brand names. Maybe ray-o-vac sells an Alltek charger with a Ray-o-vac sticker on it (just an example).

----(sig line)---> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave

Well, I never did receive a response from the AllTek website. Either they don't care that their product is being pirated or my charger is actually the real thing. In any case, it's been working fine, so I guess things are OK.

Also, my "cheap Chinese knock-off" (as someone called it) was upwards of $40, so I'd hate to see what the expensive brands are selling for.